ngCYVVf.jpg
d7VeyLN.jpg

O4vUWel.jpg
k6ngayN.jpg

fFHJPqb.jpg
ZTxaZyH.jpg

and timber wolf
KkoqG6A.jpg

Well started on a brush handle and thought I'd have a go at doing something different, a larger handle. This beasty is 110mm long, so what you think folks...Any love for long/large handles?

1VFosZa.jpg
FZPVzuV.jpg

other side

pGvvIaV.jpg

I believe @Tony Forsyth is going to love your wood carving skills.

Well other bits I was waiting on finally turned up, so been in the shed since sun-up. This poor little bush sure went through a lot of stress in it's last hours, burns and cracks deep into its roots even. Trying to keep as much of the cracks, burns and damage as possible. Keeps character and mindful of how this bush was part of the 2019 fires sweeping this country, I don't know timber types all that well but I think it maybe an olive. I'm quite pleased with how much of it I have been able to do something with, might get another couple of pens out of it yet. Still working on it as I'm able but here's some more updates from yesterday and todays work.

5rGtaJc.jpg
tfPL4B5.jpg

Big brush handles for big brushes, the brown is Horse and the blonde is Boar

TZvo4p5.jpg
62sbA3m.jpg

Sorry all, been a bit crook as well as overdoing things and then lathe broke, punctured my hand and etc..etc...you know how these Murphy stories go. I stopped shaving even as I tried a week ago and got a nice slash across side of my face. Sounds worse than it is, I'm just a big wuss... Anyways, am still here and soon as I am able and the replacements parts turn up will finish off what I can salvage from all of this timber and then see where things go from there.

Still going to make my own "Something Hairy" brush collection but it's on the backburner for now. It's great having as much interest in what I'm doing as I'm getting and it's been a lot of fun, but just to let folks know I'm not normally going to be making things for sale, I'm not going into brush making business. Too many challenges for this old broken fart.

Sorry all, been a bit crook as well as overdoing things and then lathe broke, punctured my hand and etc..etc...you know how these Murphy stories go. I stopped shaving even as I tried a week ago and got a nice slash across side of my face. Sounds worse than it is, I'm just a big wuss...
Jesus mate, are you alright? Nothing worse than a confidence drop from a decent slash. Hows the hand after the lathe?

Jesus mate, are you alright? Nothing worse than a confidence drop from a decent slash. How's the hand after the lathe?
No worries, I'm ok and my face wasn't that pretty anyways lol but that's why I wont straight shave, not a good idea with farked hands lol.... and hands....well they were stuffed a very long time ago...moving on just for update here's what's left.

JZkP3w1.jpg

I'm ready to go again but am waiting on parts for now....Then we'll see what becomes.

Finally got the replacement handwheel for my tailstock (lathe part I was waiting on) late yesterday, man not really happy about that part of the story. $23 postage for a less than 200gram item from Newcastle to Adelaide and a week worth of road freight travel time. No idea why they didn't just express Austpost it for $10 and I'd have it the next working day...sigh..

So fixed the lathe up this morn and started thinking about the timber left and then this happened to the other leftover bit from one of the larger handles .

8eJ5BjB.jpg
sfpoKzP.jpg

Shorter stubby type with a pure badger knot, will start on the next bit in a day or two when I get the chance as I have a few things on my plate atm.

Lr041yC.jpg
hHFqpkQ.jpg

I admire your work. What type of wood are you using? Now that I’m feeling much better I should go and make another handle myself. A girl at work wanted a brush for her father for Christmas but I wasn’t up to it so I’ll get in early for next Christmas.

I admire your work. What type of wood are you using? Now that I’m feeling much better I should go and make another handle myself. A girl at work wanted a brush for her father for Christmas but I wasn’t up to it so I’ll get in early for next Christmas.
Thank you for the kind words Errol mate, I will say now that I also really enjoyed yours and you don't even have a lathe!
Glad to hear your feeling better also, as to the wood I must admit I'm no expert and I'm not 100% certain. It was a small bush/tree burnt in the recent fires I liberated. It turns like a harder fruit wood, and from the way it looks to me I think it's maybe a young olive tree. There's a lot of olive groves and feral olive trees in S.A. Heaps down the fleurieu peninsula around where I found this one there was lots I saw when they were alive.

I'd never turned rootstock before, you learn new things every day lol. Beaut figuring, will have to try and get another bit for myself and hope it's as figured but olive tree's are not easy to dig up. Also turning and working roots is different to say the least lol, a stone inside the root destroyed a brand new bandsaw blade and all the dirt or sand grit sure does a job on blunting cutting tools. 3 stones I ended up finding inside, one smacked me almost middle of my head right between the eyes lol.

looking good mate, when are you going to be ready to auction?

You think auction is better way to go, lol your keen as to get ya hands on one aren't you lol. In ways it's easier as it saves me trying to place a price on an item and allows whomever is interested to bid according to the interest on an item. I'm not quite ready yet though myself, still got a couple of bits left and gives time for finish to set. They benefit from a week or two before being exposed to water etc, I'm going to need a couple of weeks to recover financially too lol unless people are going to be paying their own postage.

Sorry all, I tend to think out loud and to bounce off others as not alot happens upstairs here :wacky:. Sale or auction aside, I was just thinking along the lines of buyer just pays money direct to charity. Then presents receipt publically and then item/s gets sent off to them etc, does that seem simplest? I think it'll be another week or two yet or I won't even be able to post out to people if I'm blunt/honest, and that gives things a bit of time as well.

I'm open to suggestions/thoughts as to what people think works best for all. Only thing I want is funds raised to goto a fire service service or animal welfare for fire affected animals as it's from the bush fires this all came about, and if you don't have a local charity group that fits to use a Kangaroo Island wildlife charity such as the one looking after all the Koala's as that would be my personal preference.