Spam thread.

39522139362_bb92f03e32_z.jpg

A mate saved some cypress kitchen cabinet doors that were destined for the skip bin so I made up a pine carcass to suit, mix tinted and stained the pine to match the cypress and clear finished the lot. Now I've got a storage cupboard for my oils and essential oils. Felt lined the shelves to protect the timber from any excess volatile oils.

24684131197_1248f8cfa1_h.jpg

Whipped up the spice rack to go on the top shelf of the cabinet for better use of real estate. A bit more felt and away we go.

That cypress is nice, not a bad smell either huh

Last edited:
That cypress is nice, not a blade bad smell either huh
I love cypress. I wanted to use it for framing for our reno's but our builder doesn't want to know about it. It's great for white ant resistance but is harder to get and moves a fair bit as the average log size is smaller these days so probably harder to work with than what we used to get thirty or forty years ago.

Not sure why but I have found the Razel blade shape compelling lately.
1CsDjqIl.jpg

I love cypress. I wanted to use it for framing for our reno's but our builder doesn't want to know about it. It's great for white ant resistance but is harder to get and moves a fair bit as the average log size is smaller these days so probably harder to work with than what we used to get thirty or forty years ago.
Absolutely, now not cypress specifically but many timbers I have found more and more challenging to get in good shape without paying a large premium on, cut right down on my experimenting with Aussie now woods.
I’m fortunate as we have a bit of cedar around the place and every time I’m working on it I’m flooded with fond memories of archery in my youth.

What's that shaped blade useful for?
People have come to love them as their daily pocket knife, however the chisel tip and heavy stock prove useful for scraping etc

All 618 of them? Making you 619?
That’s just the number I can get in a single room at one time :)
They are fun critters, we have been playing a game in which I pick them up while they sleep... very deep sleepers indeed.

Do you know I know I need to get a job?
I thought it was a good use of time to spend a few hours putting a mirror finish on the bevel of my Spyderco Delica.

E4PuGp5l.jpg

Thing is near razor sharp, it is actually hair shaving sharp.

There is still a lot of Cypress being cut around western Queensland, but it's lost popularity vis-à-vis treated pine framing which is generally much cheaper and equally termite resistant. (75x38 F7 Swn Cypress: $4.30lm vs 70x35 T2 MGP12 Pine Framing: $3.60lm.) Stick frame on a new build often requires several hundred / thousand metres of pine framing, so that difference in pricing adds up pretty quickly.

Source: I work for a timber wholesaler in Brisbane.

I must congratulate P&C for being the island of sanity in the choppy seas of censorship and general tender feelings on the net today, this morning alone I have been issued 2 warnings from other forums;
1. Post edited by mods for pointing out the legitimate short falls of the MAP pricing structure being enforced by knife manufacturers and how it relates to large retailers like amazon.
2. Being called an instigator (I am one but not in this context) for urging a user to talk to someone if they are carrying alcohol on them every day.

Some forums don’t allow you to ignore/block the mods unfortunately.
Here I go with mods on boats...hmm perhaps that was the plan, get rid of the instigator... tiny cement shoes for the ferret.

I must congratulate P&C for being the island of sanity in the choppy seas of censorship and general tender feelings on the net today, this morning alone I have been issued 2 warnings from other forums;
1. Post edited by mods for pointing out the legitimate short falls of the MAP pricing structure being enforced by knife manufacturers and how it relates to large retailers like amazon.
2. Being called an instigator (I am one but not in this context) for urging a user to talk to someone if they are carrying alcohol on them every day.

Some forums don’t allow you to ignore/block the mods unfortunately.
Here I go with mods on boats...hmm perhaps that was the plan, get rid of the instigator... tiny cement shoes for the ferret.
We don't need cement shoes... Our mod/captain clearly can't handle his alcohol so the boat is more likely to run into a wall or hit a lazy bird... Very slowly. :D

But, if something *did* happen, you'd likely be too relaxed to notice. :sleep:

We don't need cement shoes... Our mod/captain clearly can't handle his alcohol so the boat is more likely to run into a wall or hit a lazy bird... Very VERY slowly. :D

But, if something *did* happen, you'd likely be too relaxed to notice. :sleep:

FTFY