Spam thread.

I interacted with a ferret at the pet store today... Very cute little thing.
Even made little cute little noises; I had thought they were silent.
They make funny noises huh, not as funny as otters but if you haven’t seen a ferret war dance do your self a favour and YouTube it

omg. That was hilarious. :LOL:
I have had mine dance themselves off the couch and into the cats water bowl... which sets them off again then there’s water everywhere!

I interacted with a ferret at the pet store today... Very cute little thing.
Even made little cute little noises; I had thought they were silent.

The place near Bunnings in Gungahlin? I saw them there yesterday :)

38781620945_82e5e832d4_b.jpg

Gotta love You Tube. I haven't done a splice for years. Fixed it but can't use like I used to, hasn't got load rating?!!

I have had mine dance themselves off the couch and into the cats water bowl... which sets them off again then there’s water everywhere!
What about their hair? the are close relatives to badgers. You should keep the sheds and try to make a know with it :p
Seriously, they are quite funnny, interesting, and cooperative/players; they make quite good pets (not as good as a turtle, of course....), enough to interact with unknown humans without giving unsolicited bites (and they bite really bad) I do love them

What about their hair? the are close relatives to badgers. You should keep the sheds and try to make a know with it :p
Seriously, they are quite funnny, interesting, and cooperative/players; they make quite good pets (not as good as a turtle, of course....), enough to interact with unknown humans without giving unsolicited bites (and they bite really bad) I do love them
I had turtles as a kid, they are great fun.

I called mine mister T

Quality titles for me;

Ferret to the stars
Can’t post good size pictures
Weasel king of Angmar
Spambot
The fo’ real deal (just like my tattoo)
Steve Holt
Dave

... I used to build longbows ....., so fun building a bow from scratch .....

Ah, perhaps you can advise regarding the bows of native Americans as depicted in the movies. Considering they hunted Bison from horseback, would they not have made use of short bows for manoeuverability? The bows would not necessarily need to be powerful as the horse and rider could manoeuvre very close to the Bison before loosing the arrow.
In movies, "white man with forked tongue" is usually pinged from quite a distance, much farther than a Bison would be from horseback. Surely, that would require a compound longbow, eg; bone and yew or similar?
P.S. I don't believe 5/8ths of snot all I see in movies!

Ah, perhaps you can advise regarding the bows of native Americans as depicted in the movies. Considering they hunted Bison from horseback, would they not have made use of short bows for manoeuverability? The bows would not necessarily need to be powerful as the horse and rider could manoeuvre very close to the Bison before loosing the arrow.
In movies, "white man with forked tongue" is usually pinged from quite a distance, much farther than a Bison would be from horseback. Surely, that would require a compound longbow, eg; bone and yew or similar?
P.S. I don't believe 5/8ths of snot all I see in movies!
The American Indian bow as a singular entity didn’t exist as different groups came to different designs as to suit the environment.
The most quintessential “Indian bow” to my mind is the flat bow, when I was making them I would use a length of 66 inches predominantly for comfort drawing the bow as with a longer bow the poundage increases more uniformally across the draw, the the string gets closer to 90 degrees relative to the tips of the bow the poundage increases significantly, hence recurves are so smooth to draw.

The long and short of it all is that yes a shorter bow was favourable on horse back however wider limbs are needed to distribute the load of drawing the bow.

In the realm of composit bows there is some fascinating history, some examples of sinew backed (then covered in snake skin) timber bows exist which are again shorter than their all timber counterparts thanks to sinews resistance to failure in extension.
Another fascinating study are the bows of the Eskimo, some using designs which leave no stress on the bow while strung they made a cable which ran the length of the bows back which took some of the load of the bow when drawn.
Some of these are simply made of bone and sinew.

I wonder how much indian bows changed after white settlement in America.interesting stuff @Ferret619
Indeed, the Indians took up firearms pretty quickly, much like the Japanese (another interesting answer to shooting from horseback BTW) but the Indians kept archery going even to today through target shooting (corn stalk shooting)

I have always found it interesting that civilisations from the Egyptians to the pygmys came to invent the bow and arrow in some form however our aboriginals never did,
I suspect it’s due to a multitude of factors but it is curious.

Good point re Australian aboriginals. Even in PNG jungles, bows were used albeit the short variety? A long bow would be next to useless in thick vegetation!
I think the usual triggers which lead to the development of the bow are;
A. Animals that are just too big and scary that mess you up when you prick em with a spear.
B. Animals that are tasty but tricky to reach I.E monkeys in trees
C. People that you want to be dead but can kick your ass.

-The animals we have here tend to be delt with by hand spear and big Roos or buffalo can just be left alone.
-from what I have seen there seems to be a tendency to eat grubs over try to hit a cockatoo with a rock so perhaps food on ground level is plentiful?
-being fairly nomadic I suppose the territory wars wherent quite as much an issue..
Honestly my knowledge of the various aboriginal cultures is woefully bad...

There are some cultures who dwell in the jungle who are forced to use hugely long bows for a few reasons;
A, the timbers (or grasses in some cases) don’t dry to a low enough humidity due to the rainforest environment so a shorter bow takes a lot of set (limbs stay permanently bent) and loses poundage.
B. Longer bows tend to be more accurate by virtue of their comfort to shoot.
Note: some cultures will use poison when hunting monkey from treetops so the bows just need to be strong enough to puncture the skin.

A noteworthy design is what we consider the English longbow which was man tall and bent through its entire length, typically of a D cross section, this design was also independently developed in Africa and interestingly by the Pygmys.

So, Pygmy's bows were longbows which length was relative to the height of the users?
Yep the examples I have seen follow the same formula of man high and bend through the length

MaToRGYl.jpg

I’m looking at a slysz Bowie...