SR Shaving With Non-dominant Hand

rbscebu

Atherton Tablelands, Queensland, Australia
I did it!

This morning I first checked with the local hospital. They had a spare bed in ICU in case I needed it.

I started my SR shave with my dominant (right) hand as usual, WTG on my right cheek. Then, for the first time, I shaved WTG on my left cheek using my left hand. It worked! No blood.

I then completed my shave with my dominant hand only. ICU was not needed.

From now on, I will endeavour to extend the use of my non-dominant hand with each shave. This may even work.

This morning was my second SR shave including my non-dominant hand. This time I did a complete WTG pass on the LH side of my face with my left hand. This included my upper lip, chin and neck.

It wasn't easy. My left hand wanted to go opposite when trying to decrease the shave angle. I had to al.ost force that hand to behave properly.

The result of this left-handed shaving was the same as as the RH side of my face with my right hand. No blood or irritation.

I will keep on doing this WTG pass with my left hand for the rest of the week.

this is taking crazy to another level.. out of curiosity, why would you want to do this?
It makes perfect sense to me. Having injured my right hand on a couple of occasions, being able to use my left to do the same job is useful. Just ask @rhodes96, he can give you chapter and verse on that.

It makes perfect sense to me. Having injured my right hand on a couple of occasions, being able to use my left to do the same job is useful. Just ask @rhodes96, he can give you chapter and verse on that.

fair enough if you have an injury but if your hand is fine? dunno shaving with a straight for me sounds terrifying and doing it with the other hand well...

I must be the odd one out. I’ve always used both hands with a straight razor. To be honest I never thought about only using one hand. Then again I learnt from watching YouTube videos back at the dawn of time.

Yep - took the advice of some of the Ewe-Toober straight shavers and used both hands early on and now it just makes so much more sense when shaving.

this is taking crazy to another level.. out of curiosity, why would you want to do this?
It has always been suggested to me that I SR shave with both hands. Those telling me that it opens up many different angles of attack to shave your whiskers.

I have always wanted to develop two-handed shaving but have been scared to do so. I have only now built up the courage to try two-handed shaving.

I am still too scared to regularly shave with a "safety" razor and not be able to see the blade's edge on my skin.

It has always been suggested to me that I SR shave with both hands. Those telling me that it opens up many different angles of attack to shave your whiskers.

I have always wanted to develop two-handed shaving but have been scared to do so. I have only now built up the courage to try two-handed shaving.

I am still too scared to regularly shave with a "safety" razor and not be able to see the blade's edge on my skin.

your first point makes perfect sense. I find shaving the area of my left lip/mouth area easy to do with no issues but if not careful the right hand side area can get weepers, so this must be the angle of attack by reaching over causing the issue.. thanks for that, i might give shaving with my left a go and see it i can improve on it

but what I find funny is that you are concerned about shaving with a DE and I with a straight

¿Que?

I don't know about New South Wales, but where I came from, YouTube arrived quite a few weeks after the dawn of time... ;)
Nah, the dawn of time in the computer age was more than 3 years ago. I think I learnt about 8 years ago. Stone Age stuff. Damn I think I’m old, bugger.

This was my first computer (or one like it, except the master console was a hard-copy teletype machine). Burroughs B3700.

oznavcphzg8593.jpg

It had its own dedicated air-con system running 24/7. If that broke down, you had 15 minutes to power down the computer before things started to get overcooked...

This was my first computer (or one like it, except the master console was a hard-copy teletype machine). Burroughs B3700.

oznavcphzg8593.jpg

It had its own dedicated air-con system running 24/7. If that broke down, you had 15 minutes to power down the computer before things started to get overcooked...
Man that’s The Jetsons right there.

Man that’s The Jetsons right there.
That's what that old ad makes it look like, but the reality was messier and seriously noisy. And even with that aircon running full blast, you could work up quite a sweat in those machine-rooms.

I must be the odd one out. I’ve always used both hands with a straight razor. To be honest I never thought about only using one hand. Then again I learnt from watching YouTube videos back at the dawn of time.

I'm new to SR shaving and from the start I've been using both hands as well. I learnt from youtube too! I like this video from Boker:

Count me among the odd birds, from my very first, piss-poor SR shave I felt at ease using my left hand. Granted, I am more skilled with my non dominant hand than many, due to being a professional violinist, but it was by no means a certainty.

For me, it comes naturally. However, I cannot for the life of me shave with a DE using my left hand. It was hell when I broke my right shoulder a few years ago and had to shave exclusively this way.

Three weeks now if including my left hand in daily SR shaving. During these three weeks, I have restricted the left hand to only shaving north to south on the left side of my face.

My left hand is now becoming quite compliant with what my brain tells it to do. I soon might try including my left hand in some horizontal strokes.

It's a slow process but I am improving.