Starling

Just 17 days and then...
2018 Sabbatical Fail
I've just seen this new PAA SE posted in an FB group by Mr Smythe. Looks good and maybe interchangeable base plates. Not released yet as far as I can see but I guess it will be soon.
I've been waiting for this, just 17hours before my sabbatical kicks in!
Edit: Sorry, not a review but I can't edit the title

26055564_1790202804325483_5127303555634682707_n.jpg

Last edited:
It's interesting, are they going for the micromatic style? It seems to me with the handle on the back, that head profile and the studs to hold the blade.

I'll help you keep your sabbatical: They made a new version of world cheapest and most unloved razor, and made it a fiddly 3 piece when the original is TTO.

E: I have nothing against 3 piece DEs as the blade holds itself on the slot or posts, but SE doesn't work so easy as a 3 piece IMO

It's interesting, are they going for the micromatic style? It seems to me with the handle on the back, that head profile and the studs to hold the blade.

I'll help you keep your sabbatical: They made a new version of world cheapest and most unloved razor, and made it a fiddly 3 piece when the original is TTO.
Indeed, handle at the back and studs. Unfortunately it looks like no stops, l love the way the MM pushes the blade forward with the lugs into the stops with the final turn, holds the blade super steady. Cheap but great. Hmmm, maybe I don't need this one

It is my official stance that it’s 30% interesting and 70% ugly, perhaps I’m a grump (and I am) but it doesn’t look as though the balance is going to be terrific purely because the handle looks to mount in an odd spot.
It does look like it will take normal blades which is terrific however :)

Is there to be a range of normal finishes or is it just this tactical high speed low drag finish for stealth operators?

It is my official stance that it’s 30% interesting and 70% ugly, perhaps I’m a grump (and I am) but it doesn’t look as though the balance is going to be terrific purely because the handle looks to mount in an odd spot.
It does look like it will take normal blades which is terrific however :)

Is there to be a range of normal finishes or is it just this tactical high speed low drag finish for stealth operators?

I wouldn't say it was beautiful but I do like the look of it with the colour coded base plates. I don't think the balance will be a problem, it certainly isn't in the Micromatic where the handle is set at the back to allow for the TTO.
I imagine this will be at a more reasonable price point than the other SS modern Gem razors but for that I think it may be largely aluminium and I cant imagine multiple finishes. Maybe just "stealth"
I don't really know any details, just what has been posted. I imagine there will be a lot more info on Friday.

I wouldn't say it was beautiful but I do like the look of it with the colour coded base plates. I don't think the balance will be a problem, it certainly isn't in the Micromatic where the handle is set at the back to allow for the TTO.
I imagine this will be at a more reasonable price point than the other SS modern Gem razors but for that I think it may be largely aluminium and I cant imagine multiple finishes. Maybe just "stealth"
I don't really know any details, just what has been posted. I imagine there will be a lot more info on Friday.
Well when you crumble and fail the sabbatical be sure to do a passaround ;)
I guess I’m so accustomed to my 1912 and 1914 whose handles seem much more central.... that said I haven’t actually looked that closely, I just shoot my mouth off on the internet without facts or well considered ideas...
The knurling on the handle looks great.

Well when you crumble and fail the sabbatical be sure to do a passaround ;)
I guess I’m so accustomed to my 1912 and 1914 whose handles seem much more central.... that said I haven’t actually looked that closely, I just shoot my mouth off on the internet without facts or well considered ideas...
The knurling on the handle looks great.
LOL, well it's not an exam, you can always give your first impressions and change your mind later, why not? You might be right yet.
As for the sabbatical, hmmm, that could be awkward.

LOL, well it's not an exam, you can always give your first impressions and change your mind later, why not? You might be right yet.
As for the sabbatical, hmmm, that could be awkward.
Oh it undermines my credibility, I know you guys look to me as the voice of reason and sensibility round here...
Like I said beforehand someone on this forum, I’m super impressed that no one had failed yet, very good resolve by the dedicated few.