Stripped, 1948 Gillette Aristocrat (Made in England) #22

LesC

Hi, not sure off my next step, I have a '48 Aristocrat that when purchased was "stiff" as to open, I soaked it 4-5 times in boiling soapy water and when removed (I thought) I was turning the knob for the "butterfly" doors to open, but the centre shaft came out followed by the "knob" bottom piece with the opposite turning? I now have 3 pieces, which I've cleaned with a toothbrush and toothpaste in hot water?
Prior to assembly should I put any "grease" or similar on the threads etc, or what do you advise and is assembly TTO knob followed by the top shaft?
Cheers n thanks
LesC
Ps; if not the correct forum please advise

I'd start with Mineral Oil on the threads at a minimum.
giphy.gif

Hi, thanks for the above Mineral Oil was my thought but I'd heard "plumbers grease" for the threads was superior but I have no idea?
The razor as shown is in 3 parts, the crimped plate is still attached to the handle but this can rotate, does it need "tapping" to stop this?
I assume oil/grease the threads and then screw in TTO handle in followed by the centre bar/door?
Is this correct, first time in this situation was soaking to "free" up the knob :)
Cheers
LesC
IMG-2279-1.jpg

Hi @LesC does that mean the crimp is loose if you can unscrew the knob AKA droopy knob?
If so, take your pick depending on what tools you have available and what works best for you

The #22 doesn’t have the same ring to be able to crimp as, say, the #15.

I can’t recall if I’ve come across this problem with this style razor.

Mark1966?Holiday, on further fiddling with the 3 pieces, I have come to the conclusion 🤞that this crimp has to be slightly loose on the baseplate/shaft to allow this to turn to screw in the centre-bar, following the TTO knob insertion!!
What a learning curve?
LesC

Mark1966, hi I read your post on B&B June 2011 (Anatomy of a Rocket) with your AJ, what I need to know for the reassembly (🤞) does the handle or the base plate "turn" if either are held or should the "crimping" be tight?
Cheers
LesC

Mark1966, hi I read your post on B&B June 2011 (Anatomy of a Rocket) with your AJ, what I need to know for the reassembly (🤞) does the handle or the base plate "turn" if either are held or should the "crimping" be tight?
Cheers
LesC

AHHHH, that is what was floating around in my memory I couldn't recall.

Same principle as the #22, the crimping between the baseplate and the handle should be tight, effectively one piece.

The challenge then is balancing joining the knob with the rod for the doors in a relatively narrow window so that it all works. It can be done but I found it was trial and error until it worked.

AHHHH, that is what was floating around in my memory I couldn't recall.

Same principle as the #22, the crimping between the baseplate and the handle should be tight, effectively one piece.

The challenge then is balancing joining the knob with the rod for the doors in a relatively narrow window so that it all works. It can be done but I found it was trial and error until it worked.
Mark1966, I followed your advise, she's looking like new!! I used a thin layer of plumbers grease on the threads, opens n closes like a"48 N.O.S :):)
IMG-2284-1.jpg
IMG-2285-1.jpg

Mark1966, I followed your advise, she's looking like new!! I used a thin layer of plumbers grease on the threads, opens n closes like a"48 N.O.S :):)
IMG-2284-1.jpg
IMG-2285-1.jpg

Sensational job!

It is not easy to get it all 'just right' with the opposing threads - so you have done very well.

Congratulations, a great shaver