Strop Selection

rbscebu

Atherton Tablelands, Queensland, Australia
There are possibly hundreds of new strops available. This is a guide to selecting a strop for you.

Beware, you will most likely cut up your first strop or more. Do not extend yourself financially until you are very confident that you will not cut you strop up when using it.

I have shaved regularly with about 10 different strops costing from about $15 to over $200. I have yet to notice a difference in shave quality between different strops.

Strops come in three main widths; 50mm (2"), 65mm (2½") and 75mm (3"). The 50mm strop must be used with deliberate long X strokes. The 65mm is not so particularly about having to use long X strokes. The 75mm can be used just straight up and down. The wider the strop, the more prone it is to cupping. The 65mm is a good compromise but each to their own.

Usable strop length needs to be considered. This can vary from about 300mm (12") to about 600mm (24"). Shorter strops are generally easier to strop with but require more strokes than a longer strop to achieve the same result. Shorter strops are also better to take with you when traveling. A good compromise is a strop with about 450mm usable strop length.

Strop leather comes in different types and thickness. The type of leather often affects the draw of the strop (but not the shave quality). A light (fast) draw mean that the razor will slide easily over the leather. A heavier draw will feel like the razor is sticking a bit to the leather. The thickness of the leather has little bearing on stropping except that a thicker leather tends to be stiffer in use.

Many strops come with a secondary strop, normally made of cotton, linen (flax) or denim (hemp). The problem here is that most manufacturers do not make their secondary strops out of the correct material. Most are just made of cotton with manufacturer labelling it as cotton/linen/denim. I don't use the secondary strops except to clean the soap residue from the blade's bevel. Even then, I find it a little too course on the blade's delicate edge so I line my secondary strops with natural chamois. It is up to you what you do here. Just remember that you most probably will not be getting true linen (made from flax) or true denim (made from hemp) when you order.

Hardware is another consideration. You will generally want a strop with a bitter end that incorporates a swivel arrangement. The free (handle) end will have either a D-ring, leather handle or nothing at all. Just chose what you prefer here. I prefer a D-ring but many others prefer a leather handle. Some want nothing at all.

Most strops should come ready-to-use but some require "conditioning". Be guided by the manufacturer's instructions.

For maintenance of a new strop, I suggest just a rubbing of the leather with the underside of your forearm before each use. This will keep the leather suitably oiled for use.

I would say that the hardware choice often comes down to:
*Arthritis or the inability to grip a handle/flat leather
*Aesthetics
*Price, I believe the D rings are cheaper as they require little craftsmanship compared to a handle

I have two stops, one with a handle and one with a D ring. I prefer the look of the handle, but was surprised with how a D ring handled. So for me it is an aesthetics or price choice.

When I purchased my strop many moons ago, the barber said I should use lamb fat on the strop to condition it. I didn't think that rancid fat would be very appealing in the bathroom so I use Dubbin (saddle soap) to keep it nourished.
W9zS2vt.jpg