Sumo style brush handle

Dustin L

Hey all,

Pondering getting another brush and am thinking of getting something with a shorter handle specifically for face lathering as I have a longer handled TF custom that is great for my head and for bowl lathering.

After looking at a bunch of handle shapes I really like the Sumo style handle but can only see them made by Paladin.

This got me thinking, is there any sort of copyright or trademark to handle shapes or is anything fair game for a custom brush maker to copy?

If I want that style handle, do I need to be willing to pay the 180USD to get one by Paladin or does anyone know of another brush maker making that handle shape with a synth in it?

Cheers

@Dustin L highly doubt it as wet shaving is an old one and very hard to prove you had a unique design.
Usually a process or design feature is patented. Or a Trademark is applied to a style or identity.
This style is called the Sumo, Bumblebee and Snowman (RazoRock make one).

In this case go nuts and engage our very own forum brush guru @Tony Forsyth.
Benefit of a custom handle from Tony is you can select a colour, style, size (big hands, no problem) and knot type.
Great guy, quick responses and creates tier one work. Plenty of brushes on this site made by him.
Last great brush I saw was donated by him to the Charity auction, again top bloke.
I'd expect a few P&Cs would be happy to show off their brushes to you.

The Sumo is actually a tribute to an old Simpson style handle referred to as the snowman:
https://www.badgerandblade.com/foru...-vintage-simpson-and-why.257699/#post-5134245

I am fortunate enough to have a Paladin version...I know people don't believe it, but this picture still doesn't do it the justice it deserves:
qOK4Su8.jpg

That is a beautiful brush indeed.
I appreciate all of the helpful info from everyone. I was not aware that RazoRock had an offering with that handle shape.

I think I may grab one at that price to see if I really enjoy that handle and then if I do, get a custom one done up.

I have a custom from Tony already and I absolutely love it.

The Sumo is actually a tribute to an old Simpson style handle referred to as the snowman:
https://www.badgerandblade.com/foru...-vintage-simpson-and-why.257699/#post-5134245

I am fortunate enough to have a Paladin version...I know people don't believe it, but this picture still doesn't do it the justice it deserves:
qOK4Su8.jpg