Sydney storms

Rami

2017 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
This is almost certainly does not belong here but I couldn't find the right place. Mods feel free to move/delete

26633f81c4901f70d56e6c0e592bad8d.jpg
bdbe135bdb917b28ad74879797cca10b.jpg
1c6c2f827a16d3b55d82ae38ebe48379.jpg

We just got hailed

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW, I was up in Sydney at Bella Vista when the storm came through - nothing like this though!

Wow this was 5 minutes away from you. I was at rouse hill

I was lucky. I was able to get it under cover in the shopping when the storm hit.

Wow this was 5 minutes away from you. I was at rouse hill

Yeah, Sydney storms can be like that. We had same size hailstones once at Seven Hills - friends at Kings Langley had some light rain!

We got 10 mins of rain in the inner west and no hail, that was it :)

A "Claytons" thunderstorm in the Blue Mtns,thunder,lightning but little rain.
We get loads of that up here in the "build up" to the wet season.
The temperature and humidity rises dramatically, electrical storms most nights, but that cooling rain just doesn't come.
A lot of new people (and some locals) go troppo or get mango madness at that time of year.

This is almost certainly does not belong here but I couldn't find the right place. Mods feel free to move/delete

26633f81c4901f70d56e6c0e592bad8d.jpg
bdbe135bdb917b28ad74879797cca10b.jpg
1c6c2f827a16d3b55d82ae38ebe48379.jpg

We just got hailed
Jeez... a white Christmas in February:(
Hopefully no damage - Im in Gladesville and had no hail at all. Some friends on the Northern Beaches got hit with similar size to yours @Rami - just the luck of the draw.

I know what is like to get caught in a hail storm with an umbrella, and my umbrella didn't last very long and it feels like I've been shot buy 100 rounds of paint ball gun.

Bloody hurt like a real bastard for at 2 weeks it not very nice to be covered in bruises.

Kids these days.
Grew up playing soccer in hail.
Timely reminder to call 132 500 if you're in need of help from storm damage.

A lot of new people (and some locals) go troppo or get mango madness at that time of year.

Please explain for the uninitiated southern city folk @eggbert: what is "going troppo" and "mango madness"???

During the buildup the heat and humidity increase markedly (hovering in the high 30s for weeks on end - the humidity making it feel even hotter), electrical storms are going on all around at night time, but there is no rain to relieve the heat, even at night time. This gets people feeling crankier and crankier and less tolerant of others as the buildup goes on. Compounding this, people also tend to drink more alcohol which to relieve the heat and tension, but end up having the opposite effect.

Tropical great is linked with higher rates of anxiety, depression, stress and hostility, as well as fewer hours of sleep, reduced appetite and lower energy levels.

During the build up, lots of people leave Darwin, Cairns and the like as they can't handle the heat, so the population is noticeably less. However, violent crimes increase markedly during the period.

50% of murders occur during the build up, hospitalisations due to fractures are 40% higher, and suicides and sexual assault are higher too, yet non violent crimes do not vary.

They are starting to think of it as a seasonally affected disorder.

I think one of the things you have to understand is that we start from a different point than the rest of Australia. 26 degrees is about as cold as the afternoon maximum ever gets, and that's on a wet and rainy day in the middle of summer. The average daily maximum temperature for each month is 32.
Yes, the (coastal) tropics rarely get into the 40s very often but that heat is persistent, and during the buildup you can go a week or two with temperature which "feel like" they are in the low to mid 40s.
Admittedly you do build up some tolerance to it (we set our A/Cs at 26-27, and they are only on at night time or during babybert's naptime). I do wonder occasionally if the dehydration ( having to drink 4-5 litres of water every day, more if working outside) have any long term effect on the body.
Luckily, while I enjoy the odd beer or two on occasion, I'm not a big drinker.