Tapatalk login error

Korbz

image_1.png

Morning gents, getting an error trying to use tapatalk this morning. Not sure about solution so thought I'd ask

Me too unfortunately

It's a bit strange, I'm still getting notifications from P&C via Tapatalk.
But I can't actually login to see the forum or post anything from the phone.

Eggs - the net has been acting very strangely since yesterday, when the ABS brought the census website back on line. The ABS were out of their depth with the original issue on Tuesday evening, and by their own admission have abdicated control to the Australian Signals Directorate (ADS). The ADS is our federal government Department of Defence (DoD) Intelligence Agency charged with collection and dissemination of foreign signals intelligence; and to provide information security products and services to the Australian Government. The agency has been in operation since 1947, but obviously has been more engaged in cyberspace in latter decades.
Our DoD have been caught on the back foot, and are being hammered by our acutely embarrassed Prime Minister for immediate and uncompromising response. Thus, it seems that they have clamped down on any electronic traffic with the slightest hint of international flavour, and thus some of the most harmless of sites and communications portals are being disrupted.
I have noticed this across multiple sites and communication hosts since the Census debacle. Coincidence? Maybe, but if so, it is the strangest behaviour I have observed in my 18 years of active internet use.
Whilst the government and media are calling it an attack from international hackers, they are unanimous in saying that they cannot prove this. Thus, I still do not discount the possibility that it is simply incompetence by the ABS and/or their IT contractors, or a legacy of our embarrassingly archaic national IT infrastructure.

Eggs - the net has been acting very strangely since yesterday, when the ABS brought the census website back on line. The ABS were out of their depth with the original issue on Tuesday evening, and by their own admission have abdicated control to the Australian Signals Directorate (ADS). The ADS is our federal government Department of Defence (DoD) Intelligence Agency charged with collection and dissemination of foreign signals intelligence; and to provide information security products and services to the Australian Government. The agency has been in operation since 1947, but obviously has been more engaged in cyberspace in latter decades.
Our DoD have been caught on the back foot, and are being hammered by our acutely embarrassed Prime Minister for immediate and uncompromising response. Thus, it seems that they have clamped down on any electronic traffic with the slightest hint of international flavour, and thus some of the most harmless of sites and communications portals are being disrupted.
I have noticed this across multiple sites and communication hosts since the Census debacle. Coincidence? Maybe, but if so, it is the strangest behaviour I have observed in my 18 years of active internet use.
Whilst the government and media are calling it an attack from international hackers, they are unanimous in saying that they cannot prove this. Thus, I still do not discount the possibility that it is simply incompetence by the ABS and/or their IT contractors, or a legacy of our embarrassingly archaic national IT infrastructure.

I'm a numbers person, and generally follow occam's razor when troubleshooting. The facts that I am aware of ;ABS allowed for a uniform usage load across a wide time span with a peak usage of 1 million logins per hour, there are 7 million households on the eastern seaboard of Australia that needed to complete the census, no major DDOS activity was tracked by existing security software companies.

Now given timings, what I believe has happened (which some IT experts seem to support), is that people have come home from work, eaten dinner and sat down to do the census. The peak load between 7-8pm spiked and was greater than they were able to cope with, exacerbated by some technical issues. Given the load, they were simply not able to reset, as the backup of requests would have caused the site to fail again immediately, thus they were down for the night.

Until such a time as they release some logs proving their claim (particularly if they maintain that it was from overseas lol), I choose to believe that it was pure incompetence.

I'm a numbers person, and generally follow occam's razor when troubleshooting. The facts that I am aware of ;ABS allowed for a uniform usage load across a wide time span with a peak usage of 1 million logins per hour, there are 7 million households on the eastern seaboard of Australia that needed to complete the census, no major DDOS activity was tracked by existing security software companies.

Now given timings, what I believe has happened (which some IT experts seem to support), is that people have come home from work, eaten dinner and sat down to do the census. The peak load between 7-8pm spiked and was greater than they were able to cope with, exacerbated by some technical issues. Given the load, they were simply not able to reset, as the backup of requests would have caused the site to fail again immediately, thus they were down for the night.

Until such a time as they release some logs proving their claim (particularly if they maintain that it was from overseas lol), I choose to believe that it was pure incompetence.
@Korbz - sound reasoning, and also I lean towards that conclusion. It seems very convenient that the govt and media were quick to name the Chinese as culprits of an external attack, but without a shred of evidence. Sounds like spin/damage control to this little black duck.

@Korbz - sound reasoning, and also I lean towards that conclusion. It seems very convenient that the govt and media were quick to name the Chinese as culprits of an external attack, but without a shred of evidence. Sounds like spin/damage control to this little black duck.
We saw the same thing in Qld with the health payroll fiasco a few years back. Whilst not as across that issue as well as I could be, I do know the court case against IBM was dismissed back in April this year, forcing Qld govt. to pick up IBM's expenses. As far as the public go, they still believe it was iBM at fault thanks to media reporting at the time. Can't get past good spin :)

Redirect to SSL probably killed it. Try it now.

Do note that with the changes that Tapa is now pushing with the next major version, the likelihood of us remaining tapatalk enabled into the future is limited.