Taswegian checking in

Yesterday was a permasharp super, I was dubious the packaging didn't inspire me, but the Russian factory address offered some hope. 2nd bottom left hand column.

It was also the first use of my newish Merkur Barber pole.

Wow, what a blade, it was a nice comfortable and close have, either I am getting the hang of this or I have started to find some better blades. I suspect the former.

As for the razor, at first it felt like I was shaving with my razor on the end of a stick (it has a very long hande), after the first half a pass I got the feel for it and settled into the groove. The extra mass of the razor was quite nice, looking forward to my next shave, might be tonight before we go out for the olympian do.

Heavier razor helps.

The barber pole is more aggressive and the longer handle gives better control.

The PermaSharps are damn good blades in the 'currently produced' category. They really are nice and smooth while having very good sharpness. They also last well, and the second shave with them seems the best.

P160

I had my first shave with P160 yesterday, loads up and lathers wonderfully. Nice and rich. Personally I think it is a fair bit better then cella, seems easier to work with.

Still using the PermaSharp, third shave, they are a good blade.

I had my first shave with P160 yesterday, loads up and lathers wonderfully. Nice and rich. Personally I think it is a fair bit better then cella, seems easier to work with.

Still using the PermaSharp, third shave, they are a good blade.

The P160 is a better soap. Is it that much better? Well YMMV - I'm content with what I have and the Cella I can get easily!

All hail the GBE

I figred its Fathers' day so a special treat was in order and I decided to crack out the Gillette Bleue Extra, GBE. Wow, what a great blade no wonder RazorMonsta has 60 years worth. The worst part is I only have nine more blades, must find more. Aah, I'm a junkie for old razor blades.

What the frig has happened to me, four months ago there is no way I would be waxing lyrical about the wonderful shave I have just had.

I concur, great blade. What did it do for you that's better or different?
Mmm, hard to describe, a comfortable shave no tugging, didn't feel like it was cutting as close as it obviously has, my face feels so smooth. I keep touching myself :embarrest:

If you love the GBE, the Spoiler will.... well.... spoil you. :D

I've been a bit slack to keep upto date with this, but not a lot has changed, I am still using the same GBE, thats a month! I think it is about 8 shaves. I have been sticking to the P160 excpet for the trip to Melb where I switched to Proraso and my old Schick Ultra and a couple shaves with the soap Drubbing sent me.

The GBE is still going strong, could have a few more shaves in it, I think it really needs at least three days growth. On Monday I hadn't shaved since Thursday and it performed beautifully, today it seemed to bite a bit more, my lather was not as good so this could also be the problem, I was in a hurry, we have the auditors in at work this week and I was running late.

I'll see if I can stretch the GBE out until the travelling vintage blades arrive, Spyne has contacted me so they shouldn't be too far away.

Personna Super Stainless 'Ultra Chrome' from the PIF, in the
Merkur 38C barbe pole with
P.160 tipo morbido.

My standard 2 and a bit pass shave. Last shave was Sunday so 3 days growth.

The personna is a great blade, it shaves nice and close seems to be quite sharp but still shaves smooth and not grabbing, although the P160 helps here. Effortless is the word that came to mind while I was standing in front of the mirror.

I'll have a think and post something meaningful in the Review thread.

Hey glenos, you should copy + paste your personna review into the travelling blade review thread too.

It's been a while sice I have posted what I have been up to. Well I have made my way through the travelling vintage blades, my favourite was the Schick Platinum. A quick summary of my experience, I will try to post something into the review topics over the weekend.
I was a little surprised that they were not better then they were, 1st and 2nd shaves good 3rd was starting to lose it's edge, this appled to all three blades. If I had to rank them I would say Schick, Spolier, Personna, but I think a GBE from RM is a better blade.

To travel a bit further back in time I used the first of my pre-spoilers this morning, 1970 wintage blade (it's older than I am) but wow what a shave. It didn't have the fabcy coatings of the more recent blades so it doesn't slide across your face as well, but it cuts beautifully. A superb shave.

After a long time of keeping a low profile a little update.
For the past month I have been using my 38C, L'Occtaine Cade, and a Vintage Schick. What a combo.
Before that I used the 38C a pre-spoiler and the col. conk with a pre-spoiler.

Today a change of pace, I switched to the EJ DE89 I picked up in a trade for my 34C, vintage schick and Cade. The DE89 is a different beast to the 38C, much light and seems to cut a little closer on the first pass, I quite liked it. This combo will be coming on holidays with me for the next two weeks.

How do you like the L'Occitane Cade?

I love it, I love the smell and the way it lathers, I could use it every shave for a very long time. It helps that the puck I have was a PIF (from Drubbing if memory serves me).

I will most likely buy a puck when this one runs out, although I am in Melbourne tomorrow and am going to try and sneak into Mensbiz for a look, I haven't told my wife and kids yet.

Thanks for your thoughts lads, it sounds like something worth a try when I can make some space in the bathroom.

Glenos, have you been to MensBiz before? It's a little tricky to find, upstairs in a warehouse. If you ring the bell for them, someone has always come and found me. Took me a few goes to find it!

Glenos, have you been to MensBiz before? It's a little tricky to find, upstairs in a warehouse. If you ring the bell for them, someone has always come and found me. Took me a few goes to find it!

I found it first go, because I knew it was tricky to find so I looked hard, I did struggle with the door bell, I didn't push it long enough.. I didn't get much a TOBS Jermyn soap puck, original alcohol free witchhazel and a proarso white tub. Plus the obligatory couple of samples, T&H Lime croap and a bay rum skin food.

Today I gave the proraso white a go, I kind of like the smell, slightly woody with a light mentol background. My wife complained about proraso green that it smelt like a wierd person who washed with eucalyptus, I think the white will get meet her approval.

The proraso white lathers nicely, dense and creamy. And shaves like a quiality soap should, it is fanstatic value for money.

First shave with TOBS Jermyn. What a great scent, BUT ...

I think I have had a slight reaction to it, feels almost like razor burn or mild sunburn, I get the same thing with the P.160. TOBS is probably not quite as bad, I'll give it a few more goes and see what happens.

I have been meaning to PIF the P.160 becuase of what it does to my face, I like the way the soap lathers and shaves but can not stand the burning sensation.

BTW, what is the correct proounciation of Jermyn, the girl at Mensbiz said it like the nationality "ger-man", I say it "ger-mine" because this was the pronounciation of a friend of my parents surname which was spelled the same.