Telstra Modems and multiple Telstra T-Voice 503 Handsets

Bucephalus

On Tuesday, 3 July, I applied for the Telstra "Entertainment" Bundle, so no connection yet. Although the Telstra Gateway, Telstra Gateway Max 2 or Telstra Gateway Frontier modems were indicated available on my Application, there was no indication which I would receive.

I wish to operate two Telstra T-Voice 503 handsets; one adjacent to the modem and the other approximately 10 metres distant. Our home is a modest size, 3-bedroom, double brick and tile residence. Are the aforementioned modems capable of "registering" two of these handsets and will each handset operate efficiently?

I am aware that physical obstructions and distance, etc, can be limiting factors in Wi-fi reception.

On Tuesday, 3 July, I applied for the Telstra "Entertainment" Bundle, so no connection yet. Although the Telstra Gateway, Telstra Gateway Max 2 or Telstra Gateway Frontier modems were indicated available on my Application, there was no indication which I would receive.

I wish to operate two Telstra T-Voice 503 handsets; one adjacent to the modem and the other approximately 10 metres distant. Our home is a modest size, 3-bedroom, double brick and tile residence. Are the aforementioned modems capable of "registering" two of these handsets and will each handset operate efficiently?

I am aware that physical obstructions and distance, etc, can be limiting factors in Wi-fi reception.
NFI sorry mate

Frontier is what you want, but the Wifi is horrible like all Telstra devices. The Frontier will handle two DECT devices, the rest I don't know sorry.

Honestly, I would roll my own hardware with Ubiquiti Unifi gear (USG, Switch and Wifi Access Points), and just run a Siemens Gigaset VoIP cordless (ie over Wifi) if I had to due to bad mobile coverage at home. At my new place, all 3 carriers are on a tower across the road, less than 100m away.

For me, I don't bother with a landline. Mobiles only now, because it is 2018. DECT is dead. Paying for a landline is dead - port the number to a cheap VoIP provider and use a cordless VOIP phone over Wifi.

For the same price as landline line rental (ie $25-30) you can get a Mobile SIM-only plan with 10GB of data. I picked up a new 12mth Virgin Mobile plan before they closed to new customers, 45GB data with unlimited AU calls/texts and $500 overseas call credit per month for $45. Last year it was 17Gb data and $300 overseas call credit for the same price.

Again, if you are tech-handy, go for a better device and set it up and manage it yourself, ideally one you can 'slave' an extra WiFi access point with and cable it to the other end of the house. Drayteks do this but you need a bit more skill than plugging in colour-coded cables with Telstra gear.

Double-brick kills wifi but as long as there is no internal brick walls it should be 'alright'. Since you do, probably look at some structured cabling into the roof and drop an access point into the dead-spots.

Tech savvy, me? I know sufficient to be dangerous :LOL: ! As both my wife and I are age pensioners, additional costs are beyond our budget. In fact, were we not being forced to NBN in October, we wouldn't bother.
Thanks anyway for your time and advice.

For me, I don't bother with a landline. Mobiles only now, because it is 2018. DECT is dead. Paying for a landline is dead - port the number to a cheap VoIP provider and use a cordless VOIP phone over Wifi.
For the same price as landline line rental (ie $25-30) you can get a Mobile SIM-only plan with 10GB of data.
Not for me.VOIP only works with power,and when we get a blackout,no VOIP.Landline here is essential,no mobile service,(never was), even though a new tower has been built a few kms up the road.I can walk 100 metres down the driveway and look NE and see it but the house has a small hill between it and the tower.....no service. We are part of the below 1% of the country that has no mobile service.
A blackout and our only contact with the outside world is landline.

Not for me.VOIP only works with power,and when we get a blackout,no VOIP.Landline here is essential,no mobile service,(never was), even though a new tower has been built a few kms up the road.

Hence my original comment:

Honestly, I would roll my own hardware with Ubiquiti Unifi gear (USG, Switch and Wifi Access Points), and just run a Siemens Gigaset VoIP cordless (ie over Wifi) if I had to due to bad mobile coverage at home.
Of course everyone needs to consider their own situation. I am in a built-up area and have excellent mobile coverage, and acceptable coverage if that tower goes down. My area will be FttC and relies on reverse-power (ie your modem sends power down to the box in the pit to have it run) so as long as I provide UPS-backed power for it and my internal network (I do that anyway) then I should be online for VoIP. Beyond that, a power outage is of minimal concern due to the mobile coverage. Generally the base stations run for around 6 hours on UPS power and major towers have generators for around 24 hours runtime without refuelling. I have a 30,000mAH power bank sitting charged at home which will keep 2 phones running for a couple of days at least.

In your situation, landline is far more important, however depending on your NBN delivery method, you may be more at risk with a 'landline' than you think - especially on FttN & Fixed Wireless where these have limited battery capacity. Both these delivery methods will be marginal on 2-hour power outages if under heavy load. Even the original FttP battery backup had a design of 5 hours and most people saw about half that before it needed replacement. You won't have a 'landline' with the physical pairs going back to an exchange with a tonne of batteries & generator to keep the system running.