The collective wisdom on synthetic brushes?

bald as

ARKO! dealer & walking ECG
I have a couple of older synthetic brushes and they seem quite good but my interest has been piqued by many of the SOTD posts with YAQI brushes.
I don't know a great deal about modern synthetic brushes so would value opinions both for and against this type of brush.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/393552164029?var=662329432728
I'm looking at this brush and was wondering if the 22mm knot is sufficient?
Which size knots are better for which task with a synthetic brush?
What is the long term durability of a splayed synthetic for face lathering? Do the fibres and the bulb retain their shape after a shave? After long term [a year or more] use have you noticed any issues?
Does a synthetic knot handle hot water?
Appreciate anything you can add.

Don't like anything under 24mm. 26mm is my Yaqi happy place.
No shape loss in my Yaqi brushes. They bounce back.
No loss of fibres or condition.
Don't soak in hot water..simple.
No need for the handle to sit in hot water..the fibres don't retain water. Dip and go.

Agree with most of what @Chad said.
  • Synths don't retain water like a badger and splay is reduced. A 22mm synth is going to feel tiny on face compared to an equivalent sized badger. I usually only use 26-28mm synths. I have a couple of 24mm from early days, but I'd never buy another synth that small again.
  • Personally, I like softer synths or soft tips for face lathering, eg. Motherlode, Timberwolf etc. Plissoft/Plisson variants and Tuxedo are available everywhere and are a good serviceable synths for bowl and face lathering.
  • Most of my synths look pretty much brand new, even the ones I bought about a year back. But then I don't use them everyday, so ymmv.
  • Synth knots should handle the hot water out of a faucet. The fibres are plastic though you'll pretty much ruin them if you put them in boiling water. I haven't done it myself, but there was that poor sod on the other forum who wrecked his.
  • No need to soak, just dip and use as Chad mentioned.
Also, you can pick up factory second Yaqi brushes on Aliexpress for $5-9. Usually just a blemish or poor moulding result or a larger than normal glue bump, usually nothing wrong with them and perfectly serviceable for bowl lathering.

The Oumo TH (gen 4) synth is the best synth I've used to date. I'm waiting on delivery of the new G5 synth (should be arriving soon) and waiting for Wetshavingco to get more Yaqi G4 in 26mm in stock. But older gen synths are perfectly fine.

Agree with most of what @Chad said.
  • Synths don't retain water like a badger and splay is reduced. A 22mm synth is going to feel tiny on face compared to an equivalent sized badger. I usually only use 26-28mm synths. I have a couple of 24mm from early days, but I'd never buy another synth that small again.
  • Personally, I like softer synths or soft tips for face lathering, eg. Motherlode, Timberwolf etc. Plissoft/Plisson variants and Tuxedo are available everywhere and are a good serviceable synths for bowl and face lathering.
  • Most of my synths look pretty much brand new, even the ones I bought about a year back. But then I don't use them everyday, so ymmv.
  • Synth knots should handle the hot water out of a faucet. The fibres are plastic though you'll pretty much ruin them if you put them in boiling water. I haven't done it myself, but there was that poor sod on the other forum who wrecked his.
  • No need to soak, just dip and use as Chad mentioned.
Also, you can pick up factory second Yaqi brushes on Aliexpress for $5-9. Usually just a blemish or poor moulding result or a larger than normal glue bump, usually nothing wrong with them and perfectly serviceable for bowl lathering.

The Oumo TH (gen 4) synth is the best synth I've used to date. I'm waiting on delivery of the new G5 synth (should be arriving soon) and waiting for Wetshavingco to get more Yaqi G4 in 26mm in stock. But older gen synths are perfectly fine.
24 or 26mm synthetic knot are perfect for the face, and 28 or 30mm synthetic knot are perfect for the head shave.

Make sure the 24 or 26mm synthetic knot loft height either 54 or 55mm, don’t get lower than 54mm, because, they can become too springy and they won’t splay very well while face lathering. For the head make sure the 28 or 30mm synthetic knot loft height either 56 or 57mm depending on how density packed to allow a very comfortable splay for head shave to allow better lather flow through in the knot.

All synthetic brushes doesn’t need any soaking in a cup or mug, just place the brush straight under the tap with only cold for at least 5 or 10 second, and gently squeeze out the water while is still damp wet and not dripping wet.

Last edited:
I would recommend a 24mm or 26mm brush.. anything less would be too small and the sweet spot for me is 26mm

cant give you any 'against' reasons for a synthetic brush @bald as..
  • The Yaqi brushes I have dont feel like a natural hair brush but they also dont feel 'springy' either.. I do have one G4 from ali express that I dont like much as its quite stiff and 'springy' but that could be due to the glue bump
  • I personally find they also lather a lot easier than a natural brush.. especially a boar your breaking in :)
  • Dont really need to be soaked as they dont retain much water at all, if any.. and hot water out of the tap is fine to use. Just need to add water to the brush with a dip as you build lather
  • All mine look exactly the same as they did years ago, no wear and tear at all and spring back to shape right away
  • I have the following brushes from Yaqi the tuxedo, Pony, Mew Brown and a no name from Rockwell that I believe is a plissoft which are all amazing to face lather with and splay very well.
I love the yaqi brushes and plan to get more soon

don’t get lower than 54mm, because, they can become too springy and they won’t splay very well while face lathering

This is probably why I dont like my FS G4, it is springy and doesnt face lather.. not sure on its dimensions but will check when i get home.

This is probably why I dont like my FS G4, it is springy and doesnt face lather.. not sure on its dimensions but will check when i get home.
I had a Simpsons Chubby 2 synthetic and the knot was 28/52mm, feels very hard tight and way too springy, which I’ve sold the brush about three years ago that brush was bloody hopeless couldn’t face lather very well.

Checking the loft height from the glue bump to the top of the synthetic tip is the correct way, not from the top of the handle to the tips.

Because the glue bump is a real pain in the ass.

My first Yaqi brush was a 24mm Tuxedo.
Bugger...too small.
Bought a couple of 26mm...bugger...too small (although the Yaqi Rainbow Pony knot is quite a nice brush).
Hmmmm...:unsure:..maybe a 28mm?
Yep, that does the trick. Bought two APShaveCo 28mm Synbad (fan and bulb shape).
Lovely brushes, the 28mm is great for me.
I didn't go with Yaqi for the 28mm brushes as I wanted to try a different maker.
If looking at buying brushes my thoughts are go bigger, not smaller.

The knot in your picture looks a lot like what some manufacturers are selling as an equivalent to the Mühle STF (silver tip fibre) which has had many favourable reviews. Only going by appearance, so I could be talking rubbish.

Here are the knots I have:
Yaqi Snow Leopard (30) - soft but still with backbone, love it
Yaqi Tuxedo (26) - springy, OK but don't love it. Will probably replace next year
AP Shave Co SynBad (30) - needs lots of room to spread out, otherwise too dense to hold much lather. Very soft.
Yaqi Pony (26) - good balance of backbone and softness, but just a bit dull...
AP Shave Co SilkSmoke (28 hybrid fan/flat top) - In the bin. POS.

Aw crap. I I just ordered a silksmoke knot (equivalent). I'll have to see how bad it is...
giphy.gif

Checking the loft height from the glue bump to the top of the synthetic tip is the correct way, not from the top of the handle to the tips.

Because the glue bump is a real pain in the ass.

the 'glue bump' is a concept I never really understood.. how do you spot a glue bump?

@Bicep123 thanks for the tip! I just bought a factory second Yaqi brush for $6.64!! Even if it is 22mm, for that price I could careless. Plus I can try a new brand of synthetic.

By the way @bald as I think synthetics are the way to go. Great performers, veriety of knots, splash & go, and no funky smells.

agree but no synthetic can replicate the nice feel of broken in boar or badger, so best to have a variety

the 'glue bump' is a concept I never really understood.. how do you spot a glue bump?
Use your thumb at the lower side of your brush and push drag swipe slowly, you’ll be able to roughly see how high from the top of the handle to roughly at the top of the glue bump.

images

images

images

Aw crap. I I just ordered a silksmoke knot (equivalent). I'll have to see how bad it is...
If you ordered a bulb type of knot, you might find it's OK. Especially if you set it fairly high in the handle, so the fibres have room to move. My hybrid was more flat-top than fan, and felt just plain horrid. It didn't splay worth a damn, so all I could do was paint with it.

If you ordered a bulb type of knot, you might find it's OK. Especially if you set it fairly high in the handle, so the fibres have room to move. My hybrid was more flat-top than fan, and felt just plain horrid. It didn't splay worth a damn, so all I could do was paint with it.
You could always paint the bloody house with a flat top.

images

I have enjoyed many a synthetic brush with preference for tuxedo knots and the faux horse/pony. Found the G4 knot overrated as with the SynBad that mimicked a wet floppy boar so good for painting but no backbone!

24mm knots are good but anything 26-30mm is a must as they tend to be more dense with no issue face, bowl or head shaving when using the 30mm tuxedos.

Equally enjoy natural fibre and regularly rotate between the badgers and occasional boar with each producing a fantastic lather with practice and adjustments.