The constant battle..

Daveho1

hey guys,
It may just be me but I find there is duality in me and part of me feels the desire to push to wear the collared shirt, business pants and a jacket as it conveys status which, as a married man, a home owning man, a man progressing in his career feels as though it's becoming more important however I'm looking a change of career and my attire outside of work is always more reminiscent of a guy in his late teens even though I'm now in my mid 20s
Anyone elce find this?

Are you talking professionally or personally mate?

I'm in a different age bracket (50) so with that in mind -

Professional attire
Started work as a Chartered Accountant with a very traditional firm, you did not leave the office OR attend a meeting with a client in the office without a suit including your jacket on.

Left and worked in the NFP world - very casual by comparison. I stopped wearing a tie to work! After a while a) it didn't seem right and b) I was starting to have a more public/client role. In the latter I was often dealing with people 20+ years older than I was - the suits came back to make a statement about professionalism and competence.

Still in the same industry 25+ years later. I now have a reputation for professional attire that precedes me, even at locations well outside the metro area, Far NQ and remote WA. If people see me without a suit they comment. I now have slightly better quality suits and am more comfortable with 'my style' but still aim to be the best dressed in the room, especially when presenting publicly, in meetings with MPs etc. It is part of bringing quality and professionalism to my role in a broader NFP sector where sometimes that is lacking.

I do dress casually though on days without meetings when I'm in the office along and doing 'creative' type stuff - helps to set the mood.

Personally

It depends on the occasion.

After going through an out of work grung everywhere stage I have probably reached the age where there is some expectation that I've 'grown up'. I tend to prefer smart, collared long sleeve shirts and a chino style trousers with RM Williams boots as my standard 'look'. In summer sleeves rolled up a little and in winter a merino jumper and/or a jacket (it is Canberra!).

Around the house, which includes going to Bunnings or supermarket etc etc on the weekends, it is much more casual. Even then I tend to wear decent stuff out and change when I get home.

Then again I'm a grumpy old man - so take my advice with a grain of salt! I listen CAREFULLY to my wife and daughters (20 and 18) and what they say about what I'm wearing, they will keep me in line although I disagree with Miss 18 sometimes, and I've developed my 'style' which I'm comfortable with.

Read some blogs on stuff too. While cliched and American in part I found reading Real Men Real Style which I stumbled across while looking around to get suits a couple of years back worthwhile. I don't agree with everything and am not sure I've learned a lot - but it did confirm some things I thought.

Anyway - my free advice, for what it is worth! :)

My situation means that my work attire is often less dressy than my outside of work attire! I do however aim to one of the best dressed in any situation except when I am bumming around the house. Then anything goes - until we get visitors! I live in a county town in the tropics and no one wears suits here unless you are a lawyer, judge or associated professional! Professional offices here (accountants, architects etc) are full of slacks and business shirts but very few, if any ties. Soon after I first moved here decades ago I went to a wedding in a suit and tie. I was the only one there dressed like that. Even the groom wasn't wearing a tie/bow tie. Nor was the minister. I haven't worn a suit since. Too be fair subsequent wedding have featured grooms wearing tie/bowtie but he would be the only one.

As to you, mid teens isn't that far from mid 20's. I honestly didn't think there was much of a dress difference in such a short span of time. You dress to impress at work, and good for you. You dress to be comfortable at home, and good for you. I think that's a great balance. Some guys love to dress up to the nines and go buy a loaf of bread. Good for them... what ever makes you happy I think.

So, I'm 32 and as i was pulling my Converse kicks on the other day and i had a moment of reflection and thought am too old to be wearing these?
No you are not - age is only how you feel, not what society tells you...

If you want to wear Cons or a suit - doesn't matter how old you are, as long as you feel good in them

No you are not - age is only how you feel, not what society tells you...
If you want to wear Cons or a suit - doesn't matter how old you are, as long as you feel good in them

Almost.
You are only as old as the woman you feel...

Disclaimer;
<As my dear wife whom I am wholly dedicated to for the rest of my days gets older day by day, so do I. I am always asking her; "If I told you that you had a hot body, would you hold it against me?>

But what if you want to wear Cons WITH a suit?

fashion-crime.jpg

Screw you buddy:cry:, those are my going out shoes. its either those or Thongs

I try not to think of myself as a bogan, but everything just keeps pointing to the fact i am kidding myself
I wear Birkenstock Arizona's with everything, and I'm not even a hippy!
I only say don't wear Chucks because they will end up damaging your foot arch with the lack of support. Some people say we were designed to walk without any shoes whatsoever but I say "yeah, but not on concrete".

I find a decent pair of track pants are suitable for all occasions. If you are going out somewhere fancy for a meal (KFC, Maccas etc) spray them with starch and iron a crease in them. The only downside is if you put too much in the pockets they can slide down to the knees. As long as there is not too much spillage on it the t-shirt you have been wearing all week will be fine. Shoes are a bit trickier, but I find as long as the uppers of the sneakers are at least partially connected to the soles then they will be the most comfortable. (anyway who is going to be staring at your feet?).
By the way what is this "tie" thing?

Regards
Glen (the retired comfortable slob)

I find a decent pair of track pants are suitable for all occasions. If you are going out somewhere fancy for a meal (KFC, Maccas etc) spray them with starch and iron a crease in them. The only downside is if you put too much in the pockets they can slide down to the knees. As long as there is not too much spillage on it the t-shirt you have been wearing all week will be fine. Shoes are a bit trickier, but I find as long as the uppers of the sneakers are at least partially connected to the soles then they will be the most comfortable. (anyway who is going to be staring at your feet?).
By the way what is this "tie" thing?

Regards
Glen (the retired comfortable slob)

He is so modest - this is how he really dresses to go to Maccas (long distance spy camera, thus the poor quality) -

top_mcdonalds.jpg

Yup and those horns make great tooth picks when you are finished! Where are the half dozen NT stubbies that should be in the picture?
NT Draught? Alas and alack is no more, CUB stopped making it last year. You've been drinking that posh fruity lexia stuff for too long GT.

1. I've got my church/functions Akubra - good nick
2. I've got my driving/BBQ/rodeo Akubra - older and reasonable nick
3. I've got my mow the yard/dump run Akubra - full of holes and held together by 'roo lacing
4. Got a pair of Ariat's - polished and good for church/functions/outings
5. Got pair of "cheaper" dress black office shoes for work, polished of course
6. Every time I leave my yard it's long sleeves and pants except my work uniform which is shirt sleeves and trousers.
7. 53 later this year
8. Old, set in my ways and boring? My wife will agree with you.
9. And talk about horns in that pie picture above - I have a set on the wall above my bed. Honestly.

I thought that was obligatory in your neck of the woods?
Brahman?
Nah, just a pair I obtained from another vendor at a rodeo I was catering at. I pumped him with flat whites all evening from my espresso van and he gave my choice of his cheaper horns for nicks. I know a bloke who breeds/shows Texaa Long Horns out The Towers. I'd love a pair of them horns on the wall.