The cup

Ferret619

Foolish Possums are not Grand Poobahs
2018 Sabbatical
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
well gents,
I’ve been told we a knocking off at 11 today to partake in the Melbourne cup festivities, personally I’m not a fan of horse racing but when I’m rome.
I’m just excited to have an excuse to wear a fun bow tie :)

I can't even tolerate the office sweep. Probably due to all the time I spent waiting tables for the Adelaide Jockey club when I was at uni. Far out people get messy at the races.

As for bow ties, well each to his own.

Yes, happy birthday @Director !

I can assure you @glenos that it was a very classy bow tie (and matching pocket square) that @Ferret619 is wearing. Not like some of those horrid things you will see on TV tonight. I'm sure we will see lots of 'tired and emotional' people too :(

Haha you lot can be such grumble bums, while I think hose racing is abhorrent drinking in the sun it a good use of a Tuesday apparently.
As far as bow ties go, the trick is to tie it just slightly out of whack so people know it’s hand tied.

Haha you lot can be such grumble bums, while I think hose racing is abhorrent drinking in the sun it a good use of a Tuesday apparently.
As far as bow ties go, the trick is to tie it just slightly out of whack so people know it’s hand tied.

LOL - my son has a 'semi-formal' next week for the end of year 10.

A really stylish mid grey suit, pale blue shirt, ten shoes and ...

... he is INSISTENT that he have a self tie bow tie. I only learnt to do them when I went to a black tie function this side of 40 and decided I was too old for clip ons. It seems that lots of teh guys are going with bow ties, he thinks he will be the only one with a self tie. Of course at some stage during the evening the tie will HAVE to be undone ...

BTI367.jpg

Quite a stylish little number he has chosen

I will be avidly working through this afternoon, in the spirit of the day I may excitedly throw a couple of $50 notes out the window on the way home from the office though :)

I will be avidly working through this afternoon, in the spirit of the day I may excitedly throw a couple of $50 notes out the window on the way home from the office though :)
Faster than lining up with the punters at the TAB @todras...same result though ;)

Just excitedly post them to PO Box 3069 Manuka ACT 2603 instead :sneaky:

Just excitedly post them to PO Box 3069 Manuka ACT 2603 instead :sneaky:

I don't think it is possible to be excited about posting anything to an ACT PO Box Mark :D

I don't think it is possible to be excited about posting anything to an ACT PO Box Mark :D

That is right, 'exciting' things get posted from the ACT PO Box addresses! :eek: [but not this one]

Guys it’s clearly a networking event

LOL - my son has a 'semi-formal' next week for the end of year 10.

A really stylish mid grey suit, pale blue shirt, ten shoes and ...

... he is INSISTENT that he have a self tie bow tie. I only learnt to do them when I went to a black tie function this side of 40 and decided I was too old for clip ons. It seems that lots of teh guys are going with bow ties, he thinks he will be the only one with a self tie. Of course at some stage during the evening the tie will HAVE to be undone ...

Quite a stylish little number he has chosen

Smart boy. Clip ons are for men who have no man card. It's not hard to tie a bow tie and self-tie one comes in many cool styles - they actually stand out and look good, and they're not meant to be 100% perfect. The point is, at some stage of the evening it gets untied, and you get to be the cool bloke in the room who's shown he can tie his own tie, incite tie envy in men and garner the admiration of the ladies. A plain black one is just meh, everyone has one. Garishly coloured ones are for Bogan weddings.

The only reason men think it is hard, is because most maybe try once a year, or less. How long did it take most of us to learn a regular tie? (assuming you leant a Windsor or half Windsor and don't just throw a tie around once and thread through.)

Now all you have to do is just on YT and there a thousand vids on how. No excuses.

As for the Cup, most of us don't give a fat rats clack over in the west. The only ones who care have taken the day off work to get munted.

Last edited: