The general watch talk discussion

Show us the da Vinci!

Nice! Looks like the small-size Hamilton case, but with some bolder dive watch features. I like the brushed steel matte finish, it looks great. Hit me/Rami up for an invite / recommendation to the FB group when you're ready, he's right that it might save some good coin.

Nice Speedy and Hammy, here's a Sea-dy?

K29b1Ar.jpg

Nice Patina Mong.

Is that a 36mm or a 41mm?

Last edited:
It's a 36mm mate, and I suspect that the patina is artificially relic-d in some way or that they are not original dots. Picked it up for a very good price out of the FB group mentioned before, no box or papers but with a relatively recent service report from Watch Lab in Melbourne. It was the cheapest I'd ever seen a Seamaster go for, so I rolled the dice and jumped on it. Everyone likes the dots more than the rest of the watch though, and I think it paid for itself in bringing in a couple of property consulting jobs. People seem to assume I'm beyond my years on account of the wrist bling.

I actually wanted one almost identical to Mark's Speedy, but they were about double the price of this one. Bit rich for me.

Okay.... Who’s the bastard dragged me out of my Speedy bed over a bloody Speedmaster watch
Bow down to your master.
I mean, it’s right there in the name.

It's a 36mm mate, and I suspect that the patina is artificially relic-d in some way or that they are not original dots. Picked it up for a very good price out of the FB group mentioned before, no box or papers but with a relatively recent service report from Watch Lab in Melbourne. It was the cheapest I'd ever seen a Seamaster go for, so I rolled the dice and jumped on it. Everyone likes the dots more than the rest of the watch though, and I think it paid for itself in bringing in a couple of property consulting jobs. People seem to assume I'm beyond my years on account of the wrist bling.

I actually wanted one almost identical to Mark's Speedy, but they were about double the price of this one. Bit rich for me.

I am an Omega Seamaster and Steel Sports Rolex collector.

Love Speedy's as well. Can't go wrong with a Man on the Moon, any year.

what Rolex do you have?

OK, here you go:

That is amazing, I feel love and hate simultaneously. :LOL:

I am a bit of an Omega fanboy, but if I won the lottery I'd be searching for one of the Rolex milgauss black dial's. I saw one in the flesh once and it was AMAZING. I'd probably buy a Moonwatch too, as a daily driver.

That is amazing, I feel love and hate simultaneously. :LOL:

I am a bit of an Omega fanboy, but if I won the lottery I'd be searching for one of the Rolex milgauss black dial's. I saw one in the flesh once and it was AMAZING. I'd probably buy a Moonwatch too, as a daily driver.
I can’t get past the seconds hand on the Milgauss..
it would be an explorer 1 for me personally.

I've started wearing my watches around the house to give them a run, because lockdown had been keeping a few in the usual rotation stuck in the box. Today, I'm wearing the only watch I've ever bought that I don't really like at all. But it's also the only Australian watch I own, and accordingly, I wear it to the pub. Melbourne Watch Company Carlton LE DLC.

wJRuZ6Q.jpg

More people ask me about this watch than any of my others combined (Omega / Mido / Tissot / Hamilton / Orient) and that fucks me right off. I'm triggered just talking about it. I want to talk shop about nice watches with clients, and only ever get "Hey, I like that black square thing". Gah. Bogans in property.

I've started wearing my watches around the house to give them a run, because lockdown had been keeping a few in the usual rotation stuck in the box. Today, I'm wearing the only watch I've ever bought that I don't really like at all. But it's also the only Australian watch I own, and accordingly, I wear it to the pub. Melbourne Watch Company Carlton LE DLC.

wJRuZ6Q.jpg

More people ask me about this watch than any of my others combined (Omega / Mido / Tissot / Hamilton / Orient) and that fucks me right off. I'm triggered just talking about it. I want to talk shop about nice watches with clients, and only ever get "Hey, I like that black square thing". Gah. Bogans in property.
I wondered if the Melbourne watch guys are worth a look; kinda want to support the local guys but they just don’t seem to do anything I’d spend money on.
But yes, bogans in property, Glad I’m out of it.

I wondered if the Melbourne watch guys are worth a look; kinda want to support the local guys but they just don’t seem to do anything I’d spend money on.
But yes, bogans in property, Glad I’m out of it.

The pre-order price on the above was not too bad, and I like the ethos of the business. The watch packaging and box is as good as any I've experienced, it's great quality for a budget watch. The only one I would consider is something from the Fitzroy range but there are a lot of options in that price bracket. The build quality of my Orient is well above the Carlton, and it was possibly even a bit cheaper. Hard to compare the two makers, but still.

Aha, a fellow (former) property dude. I'm in town planning / property economics, so I can hide from the agents at least. But the project and development managers....I appreciate distinctly why some people have so many problems with new builds. I have a natural distrust of anyone wearing Aquila shoes and rocking a Tag Hauer.

The pre-order price on the above was not too bad, and I like the ethos of the business. The watch packaging and box is as good as any I've experienced, it's great quality for a budget watch. The only one I would consider is something from the Fitzroy range but there are a lot of options in that price bracket. The build quality of my Orient is well above the Carlton, and it was possibly even a bit cheaper. Hard to compare the two makers, but still.

Aha, a fellow (former) property dude. I'm in town planning / property economics, so I can hide from the agents at least. But the project and development managers....I appreciate distinctly why some people have so many problems with new builds. I have a natural distrust of anyone wearing Aquila shoes and rocking a Tag Hauer.
TBH I’ve wanted to check out one of the Flinders range but $450 is a tough pill to swallow from an unknown brand and quartz, still I’d love to support Aussie folk doing stuff so if they ever come back into stock I’ll probably grab one and I don’t have anything with a small seconds hand,
I’m surprised about the orient, I had a bambino for a bit but I found it just never really grew on me, the domed mineral crystal Was a bit disappointing but a few dollars would fix that.
As for property, I did the Agent and Property manager thing for a while- great to get to know that part of the industry for my investing/education purposes but I’m thrilled to be done with it.

fR9cCYI.jpg

watch of the day is my SKX013-
Nothing special but I do love it; I’ve tried listing it on eBay many times as they now go for more than they are worth but I just can’t imagine being without an SKX

Wearing an older model Aqua Terra with the 8500 movement. Omega have come a long way with their “in house” manufacture.
As for Rolex, the short supply of the SS sports models are like Wolfman. I would love a BLNR to commemorate a graduation but couldn’t find one. 10 years ago, walked into Grima on Collins whilst wandering the city on a whim. Saw a 114060 on display. Lady asked whether I wanted to try it. Asked whether she could adjust the links so I can better appreciate the fit.

I wore it out of the shop.