The humble swatch

Ferret619

Foolish Possums are not Grand Poobahs
2018 Sabbatical
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
hey guys,
I'm sure some of you can relate, as a kid swatch was a big deal, everyone had one or two or seven of the Swiss made no frills plastic watches.
About a year ago I came across a swatch scuba for sale at the local salvos (love op shops, found 2 tamagotchi there) anyway, I just threw a battery in it and off it went, no issues, no fuss and it keeps really good time.
Gradually I found more and more, going through the chronograph models, strange models (Animal wheel), digitals with .beat time, pocket watches and finally came back to the standard gent Watch.
I think my favourite thing about these is the fact that the ETA movements are so dependable on these things.
Anyone else have a soft spot for these guys?

I love them, they are so kitschy and strange. Some of them are super minimalistic others are completely useless as watches.

I think when Seiko invented quartz and virtually brought the swiss watch industry to its knees, they had to come up with something radical, and make a generational shift away from the "prestige" they'd sold watches on for years.

I think when Seiko invented quartz and virtually brought the swiss watch industry to its knees, they had to come up with something radical, and make a generational shift away from the "prestige" they'd sold watches on for years.

Yes, I realise that, but I loved my Seiko (for dress up times) and my old Army "Mickey Mouse" watch (for all other times) and I literally hated bloody Swatch watches. I can't even give a valid reason... just couldn't stand 'em!

Yes, I realise that, but I loved my Seiko (for dress up times) and my old Army "Mickey Mouse" watch (for all other times) and I literally hated bloody Swatch watches. I can't even give a valid reason... just couldn't stand 'em!
They are so unassuming, so reliable and the movements are solid.