The standards

Ferret619

Foolish Possums are not Grand Poobahs
2018 Sabbatical
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
Of the whisk(e)y out there under $120 what do you keep on your shelves?
For me i think glenfiddich 12yo punches above its weight
Love johnnie black
And I'm loving my bottle of Suntory premium.

Ardbeg 10yrs old and sometimes Johnnie Walker Platinum

For over $120 I do keep Sullivans Cove Single Cask French Oak made in Tasmania which be very hard to come by on the market

Well I only HAVE staples in my cupboard -

Suntory Yamazaki Distiller's Reserve Single Malt Japanese Whisky (700ml)
Ardbeg Uigeadail Single Malt Scotch Whisky (700ml)
Glenfarclas 105 Cask Strength Single Malt Scotch Whisky (1000ml)
Balvenie 12 Year Old Triple Cask Single Malt Scotch Whisky (1000ml)

Good diverse lot all around that budget on special

JWB
JWG
Aberlour double cask. Only becomes a weight punchy buck banger if you get it in the $50s
Great King St Artist blend. A 500ml bottle so no bargain.

None last long on my shelf, I can't collect anything. I'm always out of Scotch...

Well, I am not a whiskey person, but I have some "Caol Ila" and rigth next to me a sample of wild turkey ()it will be my first american) that does not look really promising

Ardbeg 10yrs old and sometimes Johnnie Walker Platinum

For over $120 I do keep Sullivans Cove Single Cask French Oak made in Tasmania which be very hard to come by on the market
I'll have to pick up a bottle of ardbeg, I've never had my own bottle of platinum but have found the green to be fantastic

Well I only HAVE staples in my cupboard -

Suntory Yamazaki Distiller's Reserve Single Malt Japanese Whisky (700ml)
Ardbeg Uigeadail Single Malt Scotch Whisky (700ml)
Glenfarclas 105 Cask Strength Single Malt Scotch Whisky (1000ml)
Balvenie 12 Year Old Triple Cask Single Malt Scotch Whisky (1000ml)

Good diverse lot all around that budget on special
I went to Dan Murphy on the weekend to pick up a bottle of yamazaki but they where out and left with a 12yo glenfiddich

I went to Dan Murphy on the weekend to pick up a bottle of yamazaki but they where out and left with a 12yo glenfiddich

That might be because I got the last bottle in Canberra when First Choice and Dans had it on special for $99 a few weeks back :whistle:

Hunted all over town to get one ...

That might be because I got the last bottle in Canberra when First Choice and Dans had it on special for $99 a few weeks back :whistle:

Hunted all over town to get one ...
It's okay, I'm just starting on Japanese stuff so It may have been wasted on me anyway

This Glenfiddich or Glenmorangie tippler was recently converted by a son-in-law to Bladnoch Samsara single malt stocked by Dan Murphy's. At $130, it's slightly more expensive than our limit of $120 but IMO well worth the extra. It's a lowland malt with no peaty smell or taste, excellent presentation and even better taste! Mmmmmmmmmmmm :wacky: .

Apparently, the 200-year old distillery is Australian-owned.

This Glenfiddich or Glenmorangie tippler was recently converted by a son-in-law to Bladnoch Samsara single malt stocked by Dan Murphy's. At $130, it's slightly more expensive than our limit of $120 but IMO well worth the extra. It's a lowland malt with no peaty smell or taste, excellent presentation and even better taste! Mmmmmmmmmmmm :wacky: .

Apparently, the 200-year old distillery is Australian-owned.

$125 at Nicks so close enough!

It does seem now owned by an Aussie (see here) although the Master Distiller looks more like a local (here). Still, all for supporting Aussie expansion!

$125 at Nicks so close enough!

It does seem now owned by an Aussie (see here) although the Master Distiller looks more like a local (here). Still, all for supporting Aussie expansion!
That bottle looks to have a very millennial styling about it. Looks far more like a cheapo wannabe bottle of scotch or bourbon than a mid table + whisky.

I do have four bottles of whisky for under $45 when I need a belt from time to time which are:-

Castle Rock Blended Scotch Whisky only at Liquor Land
Highlander Black 8 years old only at Aldi which is far better than the Highlander Red 3 years old
J&B Rare
Johnnie Walker Black

The issue with a 'list' like this is it is purely subjective and dependent on price such as specials and the like. That said, a limit at $120 per bottle.... then you can make a case for some very fine drams at just $5 to $10 more.

That said, for bottles that are definitely a cut above, yet keeping it tight at $120:
  • Glenfiddich 18 (Nicks, $99, generally $139 generally)
  • Glenfarclas 15 (Nicks, $99, usually $150 generally)
  • Lagavaulin 16 (Dans, $96, usually $116-$129)
  • Ardbeg 10 (Dans, $88)
  • Dalwhinnie 15, (Dans, $88)

Slipping up to $135:
  • Macallan 12yo Sherry matured. At this price range, cheap and as close to a 'Scotch Standard' as you will get as it used to be the one all others were judged against up until the early '90s. $125, Nicks (Usually $150+, far cheaper in the US though)
  • Glenfarclas 18yo. $135 at Nicks, a good price locally and far better than the Glenfiddich 18 (which is by no means bad) at a similar price normally.