This eBay listing made me laugh out loud...

Gargravarr

Our resident snake charmer
Asking price: US$9999.00...

Flawed Mongoose razor

..."This is a Polished Head from the 3rd Batch of Mongoose Razors With Major Issues.

Included is a generic Bamboo style handle manufactured by Shavecraft.

MAJOR ISSUE
This is used and was returned to Mongoose for a cleaning after a major rust issue developed. 316 Stainless Should Not Rust Like This! It is my belief that the bottom half of this razor is not 316 Stainless Steel but some other Lesser grade of steel that might have been used to develop the prototype. The bottom half of the razor is magnetic whereas the top half is not. The Head has Major and Deep Scratches and continues to Rust .

Mongoose has refused to address this issue with me and I had a very poor experience with their customer service as detailed at The Shave Nook under the thread Mongoose Customer Service. I can send you a link to the post, just ask or Google Mongoose Customer Service and look for the Shave Nook post.

Needless to say, I will never deal with Mongoose Razors again."

Hell hath no fury like dad3*3 scorned ...

I have a big stainless BBQ made from 304 stainless. It is magnetic and has a few stubborn rust spots on it. 304 is a less expensive grade of stainless, so it makes sense a cheap BBQ isn't made of 316 grade.
This experience above demonstrates why it is important as a maker to maintain the provenance of your raw material.
That coloured paint on the end of steel lengths actually means something important when identifying material grade.
And the first thing you do is chop the end off when making the first item.
Gotta have a system that ensures you can continue to identify your raw stock accurately after it starts getting cut up, and bits go back in the rack.

I have a big stainless BBQ made from 304 stainless. It is magnetic and has a few stubborn rust spots on it. 304 is a less expensive grade of stainless, so it makes sense a cheap BBQ isn't made of 316 grade.
This experience above demonstrates why it is important as a maker to maintain the provenance of your raw material.
That coloured paint on the end of steel lengths actually means something important when identifying material grade.
And the first thing you do is chop the end off when making the first item.
Gotta have a system that ensures you can continue to identify your raw stock accurately after it starts getting cut up, and bits go back in the rack.
In another century when I was being trained as a blacksmith, I noticed the old man who was teaching me sniffing a bar of steel to identify it as S2. At the time, I thought he was bullshitting me, but I had to laugh years later when I caught myself doing the same thing.

In another century when I was being trained as a blacksmith, I noticed the old man who was teaching me sniffing a bar of steel to identify it as S2. At the time, I thought he was bullshitting me, but I had to laugh years later when I caught myself doing the same thing.
Even more old school than watching for the colour of the grinding sparks!:cool: