Thoughts on moisturisers and skin care?

Gargravarr

Our resident snake charmer
The apothecary appears to have been silent for 10 years, I wonder why?

I figured that so many of us have devoted $$$ to soaps and hardware, but little mention is made of other care products for the biggest organ in our bodies. (Put it away, I'm talking about your skin!) I'm probably not alone in having paid insufficient attention to this for most of my life, which is probably why I look like a man in his late 50s. (Full disclosure: I am a man in my late 50s.)

So, without further ado, here's my current (very simple) homebrew moisturiser recipe, which is very much a work in progress.
distilled water (77%)
glycerol (5%)
emulsifying wax (5%)
almond oil (12%)
preservative (I use Phenonip/Phenoserve), essential oils or fragrance if required.

Heat the first two (aqueous phase) ingredients and the oil phase ingredients separately to 72ºC, making sure all wax particles are dissolved, then blend the two mixtures together with a stick mixer for a few minutes. Whizz briefly every minute or so as it cools, then blend in preservative/fragrances.

Mark1966

Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
I've used aftershave for the last 11 years - that is an improvement for me.

Oh, and sunscreen for the past 5 - again, significant improvement!

rhodes96

Sabbatical? Unbearable ...
Grand Society
I always use a balm/moisturiser after a shave no matter what. No need for expensive products with promises of the fountain of youth. Your local grocery store or pharmacy will have everything you need. The key to good skin is to be consistent in this approach. Even non shave days, cleanse and moisturise the face. You can do this in the shower. Being consistent in this approach your skin will balance out its sebum production helping to keep the skin from being oily or dry.

Gargravarr

No need for expensive products with promises of the fountain of youth. Your local grocery store or pharmacy will have everything you need...
Indeed: a few years ago I had a brief sojourn in the burns unit at Royal Adelaide Hospital, and the guys there highly recommend the Sorbolene type moisturisers for the recovery process. They probably don't come any cheaper than that (unless you go for a homebrew approach).

Gargravarr

Incidentally, in case anyone's tempted to try my nostrum, I should mention that next time I make it, I plan to cut back a bit on the glycerol, and I will probably introduce a small percentage of tocopherol acetate (vitamin E) and hyaluronic acid. If I hit a combo that works well, I'll post it here. I probably won't add anything more than that, since that'll be diverging from the purpose, which is simply to replenish moisture (ie water) in the skin and keep it there.

There are so many products on the market with ingredients that are supposed to magically transform you into a sixteen-year-old, I'm not even going to attempt to fill that space.

nav1

Active Member from afar
2018 Sabbatical Fail
I use a few drops of serum before bed, that's about it. Simple and works great!

Here's my homebrew recipe:
- 95ml distilled water
- 5ml glycerine
- 1g hyaluronic acid (I get the premium 1000+ kDa molecular weight powder)
- 10g MAP (magnesium ascorbyl phosphate), the most stable vitamin C product for use in a water based serum
- 10g niacinamide powder.

Mark1966

Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
My son is not a fan of aftershaves or scents I've discovered.

Based on the SOTD pics and comments here I've convinced him to at least use this post shave -

Relatively cheap, very available and cannot hurt.

Not surprisingly @Gargravarr after using this my son looks like a 20 year old.

Previously, before using it he looked like a 19 year old.

Razor Burn

President of the TF Custom Brushes Fan Club
Grand Society
Da Menth Heads
My son is not a fan of aftershaves or scents I've discovered.

Based on the SOTD pics and comments here I've convinced him to at least use this post shave -

Relatively cheap, very available and cannot hurt.

Not surprisingly @Gargravarr after using this my son looks like a 20 year old.

Previously, before using it he looked like a 19 year old.
I compare it to my Proraso White Balm in texture and performance with the Proraso having a nicer scent but at twice the cost. I make sure to grab a few whenever its on special as its light and great for those post head shaves. (y)