Thoughts on moisturisers and skin care?

nav1

Active Member from afar
2018 Sabbatical Fail
I find that using a moisturizer causes me to break out and in general feel super oily. It's the same with Nivea Sensitive Post balm which seems to leave my skin feeling kind of tight or something that just makes my face feel weird and oily.

Do you find your homebrew goes on without feeling oily nav1?

The ingredients seem like they should definitely not cause oilyness, but what do I know.

For reference I'm a student in my early 20's, I'll take what lived experience I can get. Should I be putting on sunscreen everyday even if I'm only going to be outside for periods of less than 30 mins, transit, between classes, work etc? If there's one thing I truly hate, it's putting sunscreen on my face, it's an experience I always dread doing but I'm sure it's something I could get used to :)
I don't get any oily or greasy feel from the serum. It absorbs fast.

Adding in some witch hazel would reduce the chances of a greasy finish even more but honestly with glycerine at 5%, it doesn't feel greasy at all.

I don't use sunscreen when I go out because firstly, I want the vitamin D and secondly, the serum provides decent protection if I'm out for a short while, probably due to the vitamin C.

Do you use a cleanser?
Yeah I usually use QV gentle cleanser or Cetaphil which I find helps keep my skin clean enough.

Experiment a bit and find a sunblock you can live with. That one I mentioned near the top of this thread is the lightest and most comfortable I've found so far.
I'll have to take a look around, I've got a fair few sunscreens from when I'm doing surf lifesaving in the summer but they're all a bit thick. The anthelios sunscreen is admittely quite good, light and goes on easy, just a bit expensive comparatively.
I hope the removal goes well, it's good your Doctor is able to get onto them early!

For now, just keep it simple and use the lightest moisturiser you can find, straight after the shower while the pores of your skin are still open.
I can do that, never thought of doing it right after the shower, thanks for the tip!

Something really coincidential happened today just after having started thinking about using a moisturiser.
My partner said she had something for me, and it was a big bottle of QV moisturiser...haha. Turns out her work was contracted to design the bottles so they got a bunch for free.
QV Moisturiser is good stuff. I rate it highly.

Gargravarr

Our resident snake charmer
QV Moisturiser is good stuff. I rate it highly.
My neighbour used to use QV. Now she just gets me to fill up those huge containers with my homebrew stuff. Dunno what she does with it all, must use it head to toe. She says she prefers mine.
The anthelios sunscreen is admittely quite good, light and goes on easy, just a bit expensive comparatively.
...I can do that, never thought of doing it right after the shower, thanks for the tip!
It is a bit expensive ($24 @ Chemist Warehouse) but you pay for what you get. I only use that on my face and head. The same manufacturer sells a waterproof sunblock in a much bigger bottle which might be better for extensive exposure to sun.

My reasoning behind the moisturiser immediately post-shower is that if your skin is still moist in the first place, you only have to use a fraction of the amount of product, since all it has to do is help keep moisture in. No matter how good any product is, you never want a thick layer of it sitting on your skin for hours.