i4eUNBh.jpg

Timeless Razor

Handle: TRH 4 Barberpole 14mm
Baseplate: SCLBASE Scalloped Base Plate Safety Comb - 0.68mm
Cap: SCLCAP Scalloped Cap
Stand: STAND 2
Finish: Chrome ($30 Extra)
Build Your Own Razor: BYOR

The Build Your own Razor option reflects significant savings over piecing a Timeless kit together yourself, I went with the Chrome option for an extra $30.00 USD and was very glad I did.

The following represents my thoughts on my recently acquired Timeless Razor, the other razors in my kit are my trusty Merkur Progress, a re-plated Gillette Slim and a re-plated Gillette Fatboy alongside the more recently acquired Above the Tie with R1 plate (.58mm).

I am far from an expert on reviewing DE razors, despite having used them for the previous 25 years or so however that being said my use of the ATT R1 over the previous several months has provided a solid basis for comparison in function, performance and aesthetic with the latter obviously reflecting personal and very subjective 'like' or 'don't like'.

I will use the Above the Tie R1 here as it is a contemporary, hand machined and fixed position Stainless Steel DE. I love and will continue to use both razors, they are both excellent pieces of kit (both aesthetically and functionally) and my comparison here in no way reflects a like vs dislike of either, rather it is simply a mechanism of design and function comparison. The above the tie is slightly more efficient (aggressive) than the Timeless on my skin, using my technique and chosen blade.

I use Feather Blades exclusively, having tried a number of Vintage and contemporary blades I personally find that the Feathers deliver the cleanest most efficient shave of any blade on the market. Once again, blade preference is subjective and discussions and arguments rage ad infinitum as to the best, most preferred, most efficient and most popular. I will be using Feathers in my review as this is what I use on a daily basis, other blades may effect the results or function of both the razors used in my review - this is something the user will need to account for in relying on this review, in addition to the often subjective nature of a razor's performance, feel and aesthetic of course.

Lastly, I know bugger all about Stainless Steel, machining Stainless steel or any of the attendant processes. In this regard please take my observations of that of a consumer, rather than someone who knows WTF they are talking about.

I also own a Google Nexus 6P with a Custom Rom flashed, not a Digital Camera so the photography is lack luster at best!

QTjxhLA.jpg

The Timeless comes handsomely and not unexpectedly in a foam fitted box - a one size fits all box that presumably caters for the 'full kit' if ordered. The inclusion of a branded polishing cloth was a nice inclusion and a great touch from the makers.

We see here the cap, base-plate, handle and optional stand that I ordered. The inscription on the bottom of the handle and the stand is very well done, very clean and definite. The above the Tie razor I own also has similar markings however these appear to be stamped into the base-plate with a more 'industrial' look which is merely an aesthetic point and does not effect the operation or function of the razor in any way.

MfJloyc.jpg

Here we see the un-boxed components with the Timeless herald expertly and precisely engraved/stamped on the bottom of the Barbershop handle, I chose the Barbershop model of the handle as it was the most visually appealing to me and most unlike the the ATT handle I currently have.

There is some unsightly tea staining on the underside of the cap which I have been too lazy, negligent and apathetic to clean prior to taking the pictures. There is a fold of dull metal on the underside of the cap that is somewhat unpolished and course and this may be an issue down the track as rust and or staining will take to the surface like it's free beer at the local RSL - time will tell it's fair to say. Presumably this fold is there to hide
the machining that as we will see, is visible on the ATT cap underside on the model I own.

H4rYkTk.jpg

The timeless top cap on the left, the Above the Tie cap on the right. Note the visible circular machining on the ATT to the right - this gets my OCD going every time I see it however the Timeless may (in time) wrangle me equally given the propensity to staining. Both are kept oiled with olive oil after advice received from Doug in NZ from Restored Razors - I'm not a metal expert but I know @TomG is so please advise if the use of Olive Oil is ill advised!

It's 50/50 here with the ATT machining marks being clearly visible (right side) and a bit untidy, while on the left the metal strip on the timeless is un-machined and dull and may attract rust and or tea stains. Not a major impediment to function in either case, but we all know how pedantic us wet-shavers can be.

While we are on the topic of caps, now is a good a time as any to look at the anchoring of the razor blade. As I mentioned I use feathers however my guess would be the functional design and tolerances of various brands and models of blade is mostly alike.

MXWtR7B.jpg

The timeless base-plate and cap, the anchoring of the blade is effected by way of two rectangle shaped anchors, fitting the blade is really simple and alignment is instant when fitting the cap on and screwing onto the handle of the razor. By comparison I next show the ATT which employs a different method and one which for me took a little time to get used to.

aWgQ9WG.jpg

The Above the Tie R1 top cap, note the circular anchors that particularly when new, were somewhat fiddly in getting the blade to seat properly and in position prior to clamping the base-plate. The issue was in no way a defect or deficiency in the razor, but it was a bit cumbersome for the first couple of months until the circular anchor points became smoother from continual razor seating.

Timeless offers 4 different handles, the first being a 12mm and the remaining 3 being in 14mm gauge and those ordering the 'stand' will need to remember that there are 12mm and 14mm stand options available. I prefer larger handles on all my razors due to my large, clumsy yet very 'manly' hands but mostly due to the extra 'shaft' length being easier to hold, position and maneuver when you are on the job...

2ruobp1.jpg

One of the very attractive and highly functional design features of the Timeless base-plates is the deliberate inclusion of deep, voluminous gully's or channels. On the right is the Merkur Progress that enjoys the same, if not larger gully's or channels meaning that there is less need to rinse during mid-pass. Timeless employing the same or increased volume was a definite bonus and one of the reasons I went for it initially as the capacity functions so well on my Progress and avoids the need to rinse and flush mid-shave which I find quite annoying.

IFkPUeo.jpg

A side by side shot of the Above the tie on the right with the Timeless on the left, noting the attractive logo inscription denoting the blade gap and trademark logo. Functionally both razors are similar with the ATT on the right having a decent aspect or gap in which hair and soap can collect prior to needing rinsing mid shave, the
Timeless however does inch ahead noticeably in this capacity requiring a rinse at the end of each pass. A minor feature and not one that specifically effects performance, however this is a comparative review in some sense and worth noting if not for interests sake.

N2aKvvM.jpg

A side by side shot, reflecting height and design differences. Timeless handle length is 101.6 mm and the Above the tie Colossus is 100mm on the money with the difference being indistinguishable to me in practice when shaving. Both are beautiful pieces of stainless and their differing design aesthetics are equally appealing thus my inclusion of a fairly unnecessary, but none the less gratifying photo here.

They both shave incredibly well and incredibly precisely, the weighting and balance of the Timeless razor is superb in my hands and the weight of the razor is superb for a feather touch shave with the mass doing all of the work, in this regard a practiced technique is necessary as pressure is not, by way of example a Gilette Fatboy or Slim has a bit of mechanical 'play' or tolerance, both the Timeless and the ATT razors are machined to very specific and exact tolerances and do not tolerate mistakes, bad technique or unnecessary pressure on the face when shaving.

qstgLnX.jpg

A top shot representing the design differences, I find both pieces very attractive and the exact machining and expertise in turning them out is something to behold and something I cannot help but respect. These are not cheap razors and nor should they be, they are hand turned machined Stainless Steel works of art and in my opinion they are worth every single scent, razors for a life time that will not rust.

So it's fair to conclude that I am very happy with my purchase of a Timeless razor, it shaves beautifully and with ruthless, precise efficiency, the need for rinsing mid shave being a thing of the past. It's simple to keep clean, and aside from the potential staining issue on the underside of the cap I see no problems, faults or deficiencies with it going forward. To be clear, I would not and could not favour it over the Above the Tie Colossus, they are both superb razors with different design and visual appeal with the Colossus offering a slightly more aggressive but still reasonably mild shave. Stated in other words: If someone asked me which razor to buy, in all honestly I would rant enthusiastically about both as they are head to head in high end, beautiful DE razors.

I'm not a massive razor collecting guy myself (in relative terms to many others on this and other forums) and I don't believe I have reviewed any 'DE kit' in this regard before but I do hope my opinion and experience here has provided some information, a usable comparison and a chance to check out a very well made and hand crafted razor from the good people at Timeless and Above the Tie.

As always, thoughts, comments or opinions welcomed.

Great
i4eUNBh.jpg

Timeless Razor

Handle: TRH 4 Barberpole 14mm
Baseplate: SCLBASE Scalloped Base Plate Safety Comb - 0.68mm
Cap: SCLCAP Scalloped Cap
Stand: STAND 2
Finish: Chrome ($30 Extra)
Build Your Own Razor: BYOR

The Build Your own Razor option reflects significant savings over piecing a Timeless kit together yourself, I went with the Chrome option for an extra $30.00 USD and was very glad I did.

The following represents my thoughts on my recently acquired Timeless Razor, the other razors in my kit are my trusty Merkur Progress, a re-plated Gillette Slim and a re-plated Gillette Fatboy alongside the more recently acquired Above the Tie with R1 plate (.58mm).

I am far from an expert on reviewing DE razors, despite having used them for the previous 25 years or so however that being said my use of the ATT R1 over the previous several months has provided a solid basis for comparison in function, performance and aesthetic with the latter obviously reflecting personal and very subjective 'like' or 'don't like'.

I will use the Above the Tie R1 here as it is a contemporary, hand machined and fixed position Stainless Steel DE. I love and will continue to use both razors, they are both excellent pieces of kit (both aesthetically and functionally) and my comparison here in no way reflects a like vs dislike of either, rather it is simply a mechanism of design and function comparison. The above the tie is slightly more efficient (aggressive) than the Timeless on my skin, using my technique and chosen blade.

I use Feather Blades exclusively, having tried a number of Vintage and contemporary blades I personally find that the Feathers deliver the cleanest most efficient shave of any blade on the market. Once again, blade preference is subjective and discussions and arguments rage ad infinitum as to the best, most preferred, most efficient and most popular. I will be using Feathers in my review as this is what I use on a daily basis, other blades may effect the results or function of both the razors used in my review - this is something the user will need to account for in relying on this review, in addition to the often subjective nature of a razor's performance, feel and aesthetic of course.

Lastly, I know bugger all about Stainless Steel, machining Stainless steel or any of the attendant processes. In this regard please take my observations of that of a consumer, rather than someone who knows WTF they are talking about.

I also own a Google Nexus 6P with a Custom Rom flashed, not a Digital Camera so the photography is lack luster at best!

QTjxhLA.jpg

The Timeless comes handsomely and not unexpectedly in a foam fitted box - a one size fits all box that presumably caters for the 'full kit' if ordered. The inclusion of a branded polishing cloth was a nice inclusion and a great touch from the makers.

We see here the cap, base-plate, handle and optional stand that I ordered. The inscription on the bottom of the handle and the stand is very well done, very clean and definite. The above the Tie razor I own also has similar markings however these appear to be stamped into the base-plate with a more 'industrial' look which is merely an aesthetic point and does not effect the operation or function of the razor in any way.

MfJloyc.jpg

Here we see the un-boxed components with the Timeless herald expertly and precisely engraved/stamped on the bottom of the Barbershop handle, I chose the Barbershop model of the handle as it was the most visually appealing to me and most unlike the the ATT handle I currently have.

There is some unsightly tea staining on the underside of the cap which I have been too lazy, negligent and apathetic to clean prior to taking the pictures. There is a fold of dull metal on the underside of the cap that is somewhat unpolished and course and this may be an issue down the track as rust and or staining will take to the surface like it's free beer at the local RSL - time will tell it's fair to say. Presumably this fold is there to hide
the machining that as we will see, is visible on the ATT cap underside on the model I own.

H4rYkTk.jpg

The timeless top cap on the left, the Above the Tie cap on the right. Note the visible circular machining on the ATT to the right - this gets my OCD going every time I see it however the Timeless may (in time) wrangle me equally given the propensity to staining. Both are kept oiled with olive oil after advice received from Doug in NZ from Restored Razors - I'm not a metal expert but I know @TomG is so please advise if the use of Olive Oil is ill advised!

It's 50/50 here with the ATT machining marks being clearly visible (right side) and a bit untidy, while on the left the metal strip on the timeless is un-machined and dull and may attract rust and or tea stains. Not a major impediment to function in either case, but we all know how pedantic us wet-shavers can be.

While we are on the topic of caps, now is a good a time as any to look at the anchoring of the razor blade. As I mentioned I use feathers however my guess would be the functional design and tolerances of various brands and models of blade is mostly alike.

MXWtR7B.jpg

The timeless base-plate and cap, the anchoring of the blade is effected by way of two rectangle shaped anchors, fitting the blade is really simple and alignment is instant when fitting the cap on and screwing onto the handle of the razor. By comparison I next show the ATT which employs a different method and one which for me took a little time to get used to.

aWgQ9WG.jpg

The Above the Tie R1 top cap, note the circular anchors that particularly when new, were somewhat fiddly in getting the blade to seat properly and in position prior to clamping the base-plate. The issue was in no way a defect or deficiency in the razor, but it was a bit cumbersome for the first couple of months until the circular anchor points became smoother from continual razor seating.

Timeless offers 4 different handles, the first being a 12mm and the remaining 3 being in 14mm gauge and those ordering the 'stand' will need to remember that there are 12mm and 14mm stand options available. I prefer larger handles on all my razors due to my large, clumsy yet very 'manly' hands but mostly due to the extra 'shaft' length being easier to hold, position and maneuver when you are on the job...

2ruobp1.jpg

One of the very attractive and highly functional design features of the Timeless base-plates is the deliberate inclusion of deep, voluminous gully's or channels. On the right is the Merkur Progress that enjoys the same, if not larger gully's or channels meaning that there is less need to rinse during mid-pass. Timeless employing the same or increased volume was a definite bonus and one of the reasons I went for it initially as the capacity functions so well on my Progress and avoids the need to rinse and flush mid-shave which I find quite annoying.

IFkPUeo.jpg

A side by side shot of the Above the tie on the right with the Timeless on the left, noting the attractive logo inscription denoting the blade gap and trademark logo. Functionally both razors are similar with the ATT on the right having a decent aspect or gap in which hair and soap can collect prior to needing rinsing mid shave, the
Timeless however does inch ahead noticeably in this capacity requiring a rinse at the end of each pass. A minor feature and not one that specifically effects performance, however this is a comparative review in some sense and worth noting if not for interests sake.

N2aKvvM.jpg

A side by side shot, reflecting height and design differences. Timeless handle length is 101.6 mm and the Above the tie Colossus is 100mm on the money with the difference being indistinguishable to me in practice when shaving. Both are beautiful pieces of stainless and their differing design aesthetics are equally appealing thus my inclusion of a fairly unnecessary, but none the less gratifying photo here.

They both shave incredibly well and incredibly precisely, the weighting and balance of the Timeless razor is superb in my hands and the weight of the razor is superb for a feather touch shave with the mass doing all of the work, in this regard a practiced technique is necessary as pressure is not, by way of example a Gilette Fatboy or Slim has a bit of mechanical 'play' or tolerance, both the Timeless and the ATT razors are machined to very specific and exact tolerances and do not tolerate mistakes, bad technique or unnecessary pressure on the face when shaving.

qstgLnX.jpg

A top shot representing the design differences, I find both pieces very attractive and the exact machining and expertise in turning them out is something to behold and something I cannot help but respect. These are not cheap razors and nor should they be, they are hand turned machined Stainless Steel works of art and in my opinion they are worth every single scent, razors for a life time that will not rust.

So it's fair to conclude that I am very happy with my purchase of a Timeless razor, it shaves beautifully and with ruthless, precise efficiency, the need for rinsing mid shave being a thing of the past. It's simple to keep clean, and aside from the potential staining issue on the underside of the cap I see no problems, faults or deficiencies with it going forward. To be clear, I would not and could not favour it over the Above the Tie Colossus, they are both superb razors with different design and visual appeal with the Colossus offering a slightly more aggressive but still reasonably mild shave. Stated in other words: If someone asked me which razor to buy, in all honestly I would rant enthusiastically about both as they are head to head in high end, beautiful DE razors.

I'm not a massive razor collecting guy myself (in relative terms to many others on this and other forums) and I don't believe I have reviewed any 'DE kit' in this regard before but I do hope my opinion and experience here has provided some information, a usable comparison and a chance to check out a very well made and hand crafted razor from the good people at Timeless and Above the Tie.

As always, thoughts, comments or opinions welcomed.

Great review, @todras!
Regarding your question on the use of Olive Oil, I do not oil my stainless steel razors. However, there is no harm in doing so if you wish to minimise tea stains etc. Olive oil would not be my preferred choice, as it can thicken or go rancid if not regularly cleaned and replenished. My preferred oil is Japanese Camellia (Tea seed) oil; I use this for my non-stainless knives. If you can't get hold of this, pure mineral oil also works well - this is generally sold in pharmacies in Australia as Liquid Parrafin (oil).

My preferred oil is Japanese Camellia (Tea seed) oil; I

Thanks for the tip Tom and Benjamin, I have a 23ml sample bottle of Camelia Oleifera oil here that will be just the ticket Im thinking.

Great review @todras thank-you!

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but I believe it has been asserted that the underside of top caps are intensionally left rough to assist holding the blade. I'm not convinced if this is true or simply a cost cutting method, but it certainly doesn't seem to impact on performance or longevity.

Aggressive and efficient succinctly summarises its characteristics?

todras says in hundreds of words and @borked says in two!

I was about to quip that he obviously didn't read the review....but he does have a lot of cache so he does not really need to ;)

The Above the Tie R1 is mild-aggressive and the 0.68 Timeless plate is mild, so no then, not an aggressive base plate in either case.

Efficient certainly but that is the Razor blade rather than the base plate (a whole other debate, yeah I know), the angle of incidence not withstanding ofc.

Btw @Mark1966, on a serious note please let me know if my signature breaks any rules (disclosed, in joke or otherwise) and I will remove it but the code will still be valid @borked

Great review @todras - many thanks (y)

Unfortunately you only confirmed, what I already suspected: I need to get one of these beauties rather sooner than later :D

2ruobp1.jpg

IFkPUeo.jpg

N2aKvvM.jpg

I was about to quip that he obviously didn't read the review....but he does have a lot of cache so he does not really need to ;)

The Above the Tie R1 is mild-aggressive and the 0.68 Timeless plate is mild, so no then, not an aggressive base plate in either case.

Efficient certainly but that is the Razor blade rather than the base plate (a whole other debate, yeah I know), the angle of incidence not withstanding ofc.

Btw @Mark1966, on a serious note please let me know if my signature breaks any rules (disclosed, in joke or otherwise) and I will remove it but the code will still be valid @borked

Good thing I didn't read it, alas I may have originally picked up upon you lacklustre proof reading :p
Nice forum code btw ;)

Good thing I didn't read it, alas I may have originally picked up upon you lacklustre proof reading

Left, right...yeah should have probably taken a second read of it.Lacklustre is a generous way of putting it :D

Great review @todras and unfortunately for me you have confirmed a number of things.

1) I need to get an ATT R1 cap to go with my ATT Kronos handle
2) I need to try a Timeless with the larger blade gap

Great review @todras and unfortunately for me you have confirmed a number of things.

2) I need to try a Timeless with the larger blade gap

Me too (at least in relation to point 2).

@nsavage you've got plenty of money to get yourself a Timeless Razor and best of all you're not on Sabbatical, so what are you waiting for pork chop and stop drinking the wookie baby bottle all day :p:D;)
Hahaha not the case @SpeedyPC especially when you have spent in the vicinity that I have over the last 6 months. Missus has effectively said no more buying lol.

@todras is the Timeless Razor is stainless steel ? because I'm seeing rust showing on the top cap picture showing above

Did you not read the review ?

What you can see there is tea staining which occurs on the surface of the metal, it occurs particularly with stainless steel on many of the more upmarket Stainless DE's and is easily removed with a toothbrush and a little detergent. In my review I mentioned my laziness in not removing it...

I definitely think you do!

It's more aggressive than the timeless but 95% of the time I'm glad to have a baseplate with the increased aggression on hand - It delivers a really sharp, close shave and the machining tolerance on the ATT is flawless - all the components of the razor lock in perfectly.

Thanks for a great personal review (& comparison) of the Timeless razor. It's certainly an aesthetically striking design that stands out from the shelf. Worthy of display and delightful to shave with by the sounds of it!