Review Titan 1918 ACRO T.H-70 Straight Razor

rbscebu

Atherton Tablelands, Queensland, Australia
The Titan 1918 ACRO T.H-70 straight razor is their current top-of-the-line. It retails on AliExpress for about AUD 100 (Sep. 2020) and a bit more on other sites. (There is also a Titan 1918 ACRO T.H.64 straight razor available of the same steel but that did not achieve the same hardness in heat treatment as the T.H-70.)

nxoFYVp.jpg

Pros:
  • Fair value for money with acceptable finish.
  • A hard steel that keeps its edge well.
  • Bevel appears to be properly set as received.
Cons:
  • Finish could be better for the price.
  • Not shave ready to my standard (normal)
The blade is made from Japanese ACRO stainless steel in Taiwan by Titan 1918 with the following particulars:

Note: As these straight razors are hand-made, there will be some variations between each.

Edge Length = 68mm
Blade width = 20mm (6/8)
Grind = Half hollow
Tip = Dutch (round)
Mass = 72g
Smile = 1mm
Jimps = underside of shank only
Balance = 5mm from pivot pin away from blade when opened 180deg.
Spine thickness = 5.9mm
Bevel angle = 19.2deg
Scales = Ebony timber with brass end cap at wedge pin end
Wedge = parallel stainless steel
Pins = brass
Scales thickness = 15mm (0.59") max near pivot pin
Overall length = 158mm (6.3") closed and 240mm (9.6") open 180deg.
Overall height = 23mm (0.9") closed

As is usual with most factory produced edges, the edge of this blade is not really "shave ready" although it may shave arm hair well as received. You will need to at least progress through your preferred honing system to achieve that dragon edge.

Being a ACRO type stainless steel, the blade of this razor is more corrosion resistant than normal plain high carbon steel blades. This blade is also noticeably harder than most others at about 69 RHC.

The blade face markings read:

TITAN
T.H-70
Anti-corrosion

Tang markings read:

COLLECTION
1918 T.W
PURE HAND HARPEN
Wm1syix.jpg

This straight razor was supplied in a Mahogany stained timber box of not great quality and a 61mm (2.4") wide dual calf-hide and denim strop. There was also some lapping paste included.
bXlMOkU.jpg
FhvmkOK.jpg

The blade is well centred in the scales.
W38b6xN.jpg

The blade is fitted with a washer either side at the pivot pin.
hcLvWMf.jpg

Overall, I find this Titan 1918 ACRO straight razor to be very good quality. This blade has now reached and exceeded my shave-ready standard. It only gets 50 laps on a 0.1um hanging balsa strop after each shave to keep the edge in perfect condition. This Titan ACRO T.H-70 straight razor has become one of my best. Is it well worth the price.

I have just remeasured the bevel angle of this straight razor, this time using a micrometer for the spine thickness at the top of the spine wear and vernier calliper for the distance from top of spine wear to edge. Measurements were 5.517mm x 17.45mm. This give a bevel angle of 18.8°.

This is still rather large compared to what most westerners are use to (about 17°) but right were most Asians prefer their bevel angle (18° to 19°). I have used about 16°, 17°, 18° and 19°. My preference is the same as Asian, although my preference is for about 18°. It cuts well and has very good edge retention.

Hey Richard (@rbscebu) - has this SR stood the test of time? … I figure since then you’ve probably done 600+ SR Shaves?

Asking as I’m contemplating ordering 2 identical “budget(ish)” SRs and having one honed professionally and then trying to do one myself.

C

I have a few T.H-70 Titan SRs, including a M7DS, and have been shaving with them, not exclusively, for about 4 years now. In fact I shaved with one yesterday, my travel razor, and enjoyed the shave.

The Titan ACRO T.H-70 is a heavy razor (about 72g) of Japanese stainless steel with a rather obtuse bevel angle. The bevel angle allows for a more forgiving shave that still cut the whiskers well.

The downside of the T.H-70 is that the steel is very hard and that makes it a lot more difficult (many more laps and greater care required) to hone. However, once honed it holds its edge very well.

For what you are looking to do with your two "budget(ish)" Titan razors, I would recommend their T.H.60 (preferred ) or T.H.64 razors. The T.H.60 has a more acute bevel angle. It is a very good razor that is more corrosion resistant than a Gold Dollar and just a little harder but still easy to hone. The T.H.64 is similar to their T.H-70 in steel and bevel angle, just not as hard but still harder than their T.H.60.

I do not recommend the Titan VG10HZ razor. I have found it rather "chippy" when honing, but that could just be my honing technique.

Last edited: