Tobacco, Vanilla, Leather & Whiskey Fragrance

todras

est Français pour après-rasage
In Memoriam
2019 Charity Auction Winner
Menth Dealer
I have managed to procure some Whiskey abs. (Islay) from a contact overseas and as part of my current working designs for Autumn/Winter 2018 I am thinking about a foray into a fragrance that rests on dominant Tobacco and Whiskey notes...we are talking Vanilla, tobacco, oud, Leather, Whiskey here The tobacco abs. is nicotine free before anyone asks too, expensive but very, very good.

So my current thinking is some wood notes from Oud and a couple that evoke whiskey barrels specifically - peat moss, oak notes with a few other things as part of the design to lend the fullness that I personally would be wanting to see in such a fragrance. If anyone has tried Santa Maria Novella Tabacco Toscano Cologne then that is along the lines of what I am thinking but with the addition of a Whiskey accord that is more forward, a little more spice (Olibanum, Eugenol) and body rather than it resting on the tobacco abs.as the main player in the game.

So what do people think, or more relevantly what would you like to see and wear in such a fragrance, what would you not like to see and what current fragrances in this family do you own ?

I am curious and there will probably be testers at some point for people that contribute :)

Love my tobacco vanilla scents, and think the leather/whiskey would round it off nicely. Stirling Gentleman was a little to musky to my nose, but love the Lebelle Tobac Vanille scent profile. Don't mind the Santa Maria Del Fi.

Two of my favourites from that genre henri et victoria cognac and cuban cigars and B&M Fireside

So when do I spend my money on this one? Next year, that is OK then ...

So when do I spend my money on this one? Next year, that is OK then ...
Remember your sabbatical sir :)
That said the scent profile sounds fantastic, I'll definitely try that

I have no idea if its possible but could you soak some fragrance in an oak barrel for a time to pick up the vanilla/ coconut and spice that oak imparts to whiskey?

I have no idea if its possible but could you soak some fragrance in an oak barrel for a time to pick up the vanilla/ coconut and spice that oak imparts to whiskey?

You could make a tincture sure, but I will use Absolutes and aroma chemicals in specific quantities to create accords that are exact and therefore can be repeated. The gist of it is you use a scale that runs to 3 decimal places to get things just right and use around 15 or 20 compounds to create certain aspects of the fragrance.

If anyone has tried Santa Maria Novella Tabacco Toscano Cologne then that is along the lines of what I am thinking but with the addition of a Whiskey accord that is more forward
I loved the SMN Tobacco Cologne and the addition of whiskey sounds inspired.
Personally, with any scents that involve vanilla, I'm no fan of heady muskiness or overt sweetness. And I prefer the Tobacco and Leather to be more like Colonia Leather or Tom Ford Tuscan Leather than BVLGARI Black.
Can't wait.

I do feel that a slight sweetness to account for Sherry barrels would only add to the depth and complexity of the scent.
Either way, I'm interested :)

I do feel that a slight sweetness to account for Sherry barrels would only add to the depth and complexity of the scent.

Absolutely necessary, it figures in my design.

This sounds like my style of fragrance - probably cant really help with suggestions but am keen to see how it develops! :happy:

I don't have anything comparable right now. But, something like that has certainly been on my radar.
I will be a customer if it comes out for the winter season. Sounds wonderful. (y)

One of my favourites this year has been Manuel's Agarwood, too challenging for most with a scent with amazing staying power from a shaving soap. This one to me smells like someone spilled iodine in an old mouldy wooden medicine cabinet and then tried, and failed, to set it on fire. I regularly pair this soap with AdP Leather and absolutely love this combo.
'Barnyard' ouds are not very mainstream in the shaving world and I can see why. For the average shaver a soap is an instant gratification thing, it's far too thought provoking and challenging.
A deep tobacco, leathery, barnyard oud, smokey, salty with sticky plum and raisin for the coldest winter days would be right up my street.

You could make a tincture sure, but I will use Absolutes and aroma chemicals in specific quantities to create accords that are exact and therefore can be repeated. The gist of it is you use a scale that runs to 3 decimal places to get things just right and use around 15 or 20 compounds to create certain aspects of the fragrance.

Sounds like you could conjure up some APR "Barrel Aged Special Batch" in casks (without the reproducible element) ~ each lot with its own unique characteristics of the cask adopted.

This actually reminds me of when I used to work in Saudi and we'd get Jack Daniels cask shavings posted to us to help "flavour" our sidiqui (moonshine).... the bag of shavings were supposed to be for bbq smokers but we had a better use for them :)

Either way, I'm interested :)
And perhaps you could balance the sweetness with some air from Islay bubbled through the mix. I am sure @hunnymonster would assist by shipping a 40 gallon drum of air captured while the peat fires were burning and the kelp beds were exposed. :)

I think that scent profile sounds amazing @todras ! I am a big fan of 'Havana' from Mickey lee Soapworks which has the cuban cigar/tobacco scent with a sniff of cognac. The whiskey and leather combo sounds great - I really enjoy the Baskerville from Phoenix and Beau with the dark, leathery and tar notes. These are sensational masculine scents and will be perfect for cooler weather. Probs wouldn't go too heavy on the vanilla though. Cant wait :)

I have managed to procure some Whiskey abs. (Islay) from a contact overseas and as part of my current working designs for Autumn/Winter 2018 I am thinking about a foray into a fragrance that rests on dominant Tobacco and Whiskey notes...we are talking Vanilla, tobacco, oud, Leather, Whiskey here The tobacco abs. is nicotine free before anyone asks too, expensive but very, very good.

So my current thinking is some wood notes from Oud and a couple that evoke whiskey barrels specifically - peat moss, oak notes with a few other things as part of the design to lend the fullness that I personally would be wanting to see in such a fragrance. If anyone has tried Santa Maria Novella Tabacco Toscano Cologne then that is along the lines of what I am thinking but with the addition of a Whiskey accord that is more forward, a little more spice (Olibanum, Eugenol) and body rather than it resting on the tobacco abs.as the main player in the game.

So what do people think, or more relevantly what would you like to see and wear in such a fragrance, what would you not like to see and what current fragrances in this family do you own ?

I am curious and there will probably be testers at some point for people that contribute :)
After Sababatical is over, I'm in for this line.