Togs

Drubbing

110% Smiley-Free
We know Mark works for the happy clappers. Any happy snappers?

I need a new hobby like I need a fourth child. But the mrs really wanted a 'proper' camera, mainly because many of her friends have them, and have taken some quality pictures. I tried to tell her it's the workman not the tools to a big degree with cameras, but I'm married so never listened to.

So finally got one in time for our Singers holiday, a Canon 700D with the better kit lens, the 18-135mm. I knew how this would go down. I'd be left with the manual at the pool (when not checking to see I was still a major celebrity on an AM station no one listens to*) and have to assume David Bailey tasks. Ad so it came to pass. I must have shot off 1000 pics, many deleted on the fly, we flew home with 700 (spooky eh?). I've ended up with maybe 6 I'm pretty happy with and only 1 or 2 that come close to being quite good - technically and compositionally.

Like I said, I can't take on another hobby or I'll never learn stairway to heaven, and so be able to bug the music store guys... but I would like to improve my hit rate of good pics, and that starts with moving off the auto functions, which can often prevent you doing that.

*My successor yesterday didn't make it through day 1. Now you're finally impressed right? New lady today kicked off with the Pixies. Never heard it, but it was hipsterish and ballsy enough for me to give her the thumbs up. Some people called in and said they'd probably slipped me back in again after the Monday dude was an instant fail!

Last edited:
I know what you mean with the camera situation, except I can't raise any enthusiasm for it whatsoever.

I grew up with parents who's idea of holiday fun was to drive around twisty back lanes in hilly parts of England for 10+ hours per day, only occassionally stopping to take photos of vistas that at the time were not appreciated by little Egg. Little Egg, this is, who was sitting in the backseat feeling quite travel sick for most of the day as he couldn't see over the front seat to see a nice flat horizon. I have consequently not grown to love cameras, and hate having my picture taken for similar reasons.

Mrs Egg decided the same a year or so back, and bought a shiny new Canon 600D even after I told her about my dislike and that I wouldn't be carrying it for her as I end up being the mule, carrying more on a daily daytrip basis than I packed for the entire trip!

I have been resolute though. I refuse to carry the bloody thing, and whenever she asks me questions (which half the time I know the answer to despite never having had an interest) I just tell her that Google is her friend. Sure that means it has been a bit of a waste of money, but I have given her the opportunity to go to night classes to learn more about it but she doesn't want to.

Sure i know a thing or two about cameras but am a Nikon shooter.

The principles of taking good shots will be the same though.

I know what you mean with the camera situation, except I can't raise any enthusiasm for it whatsoever.

Mrs Egg decided the same a year or so back, and bought a shiny new Canon 600D even after I told her about my dislike and that I wouldn't be carrying it for her as I end up being the mule, carrying more on a daily daytrip basis than I packed for the entire trip!

That is the most convoluted excuse I've heard for not carrying the camera.

The bride runs an animal rescue service in her spare time and we bought her a Canon 500D with a bunch of lenses. She loves the thing, luckily both of us have some photography skills. Turns out in our late teens/early twenties we both worked for photographers and it's a hobby we have always enjoyed.

Egg that's quite a whinge mate lol.

So - that's 2 of you. And I don't mean the Eggman.

So what the best way to get started improving your hit rate of good shots? I think I can get the hang of composition after some practice, but the technicalities elude me.

In a nutshell

Composition is the main step. Spend a bit of time looking at national geographic and start thinking about your view being cut into thirds, where the thirds intersect place objects of interest. That should help with comp. oh and also lines or things should run into the picture from edges to Center. That will draw the viewers eye into the photo.

Now the next thing is speed and aperture. When travelling i lock mine in aperture mode and shoot at f8 or 11. This works well with scenes. If I want to freeze something moving or make something moving smooth and blurred i change to speed setting. Remember a camera is a bit like a gun in that you want to hold very still when you release, that will help you get crisp photos.

Now depending in your lens f2.8 or something low in aperture setting is great for portraits of people. It will make the background blur out of focus and this is the one thing you cant beat an slr camera on.

The best book i read was called understanding exposure.

But really pick a setting learn it and then try the next. There is a great deal to learn but it is pretty simple stuff.

Ah also carry the camera around. Don't wait for a holiday to learn. And put the camera Manuel next to the toilet ;-) read a few pages each day.