Top 5 soaps for winter!?

you need to educate me because im doing it all wrong :(
#help.a.newb

There are no hard rules or absolutes, you are always free to use and enjoy whatever you like :)

Most of the rules that are adopted for wet-shaving come from perfumery that releases according to the seasons historically. There are good reasons for them too... You find a lot of people follow a seasonal pattern with their fragrance and soaps as it does work very well for appreciating the fragrances themselves. I posted on the reasons why here just very recently.

Take a look at @nsavage's list though as it is a great reflection of seasonal scents that work well in cooler weather from Autumn right through to Winter - you will find many of the soap fragrance combinations and dominant notes in other brands than he has listed too, although his are a good range themselves..

To get a good feeling for it, take a look at the SOT'D's in this regard and watch them slowly change from warm weather (Bright, Citrus and menthol) scents to the more autumnal scents (light spice, Woody, Sandalwood with bergamot etc) through to the cold weather winter scents (Sandalwood, Bayrum, Rose) etc.

There are no hard rules or absolutes, you are always free to use and enjoy whatever you like :)

Most of the rules that are adopted for wet-shaving come from perfumery that releases according to the seasons historically. There are good reasons for them too... You find a lot of people follow a seasonal pattern with their fragrance and soaps as it does work very well for appreciating the fragrances themselves. I posted on the reasons why here just very recently.

Take a look at @nsavage's list though as it is a great reflection of seasonal scents that work well in cooler weather from Autumn right through to Winter - you will find many of the soap fragrance combinations and dominant notes in other brands than he has listed too, although his are a good range themselves..

To get a good feeling for it, take a look at the SOT'D's in this regard and watch them slowly change from warm weather (Bright, Citrus and menthol) scents to the more autumnal scents (light spice, Woody, Sandalwood with bergamot etc) through to the cold weather winter scents (Sandalwood, Bayrum, Rose) etc.

you sir have once again opened my eyes
thank you for the advice

Just 3 for me and no order

PannaCrema Nuavia Rosso - Tobacco, Patchouli, Cedarwood, Agarwood, Sandalwood, Amber, Musk.
Phoenix & Beau Spitfire - Leather, Tobacco, Bergamot, Cedarwood, Juniper.
Phoenix & Beau Baskerville - Cedarwood, Frankincense, Vetiver, Tonka bean, Labdanum.

I don't mind citrus in winter, I'd love to sit down with someone who knows what they are doing and put together a winter citrus.

If someone would do a perfect clone of Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille I think I'd shed a solitary tear of joy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say my top five "cool weather " soaps would be
  • B&M 'Lavanille'
  • P&B 'Baskerville'
  • Kramperts 'Acadian Spice'
  • Ogallala Bay Rum soap
  • Mickey Lee 'Grand Havana'

Hmm, I tend to like the deeper, darker scents for the colder months, as I find them less cloying and easier to wear.
I simply am unable to utilise a vetiver heavy scent in summer for example as a generalisation.

Shaver Heaven - Spiced Mahogany/Vanilla Oak are both high on my winter rotation.
Barrister & Mann - Cologne Russe/Baudelaire
Bay rums and sandalwoods come out as well, along with the oakmoss wet, dark earthy scents in soaps and after shaves.
Sir irisch Moos being an example in the later.

And as for menthol, bloody traitors daring to suggest cutting it out entirely *shakes head*
Use less!

Last edited:
whats Wintergreen like?? anything like the arctic moss?

I believe you mean Margaritas in the Arctic. No, they're two differently-scented soaps. The Wintergreen has a fresh, invigorating scent like wintergreen chewing gum and it's also powerfully-mentholated. The Margaritas in the Arctic is very citrusy in a tropical way and it's also mentholated but considerably less than the Wintergreen which is from the Glacial line. That line is Stirling's extreme menthol collection which comes out every spring and is sold right through to about the middle of autumn.

I enjoy the barbershop scents in the colder months.
Shaver heaven barbershop
Mikes barbershop
Blue beards revenge
Tobs st jermyn street
Stirling barbershop

Some of them are not 10/10 performers but the scents I feel don't suit the warmer months.

I enjoy the barbershop scents in the colder months.
Some of them are not 10/10 performers but the scents I feel don't suit the warmer months.

very interesting, i find myself grabbing my barbershop scents anytime of the year, i will admit that the one i mainly go for is alot "Lighter" then others.
have u tried Phoenix Artisian Acc - Club Guy?
leaves be feeling fresher then other shop scents ive tried.
i definetly rate it over "Cad" which is another one they do

very interesting, i find myself grabbing my barbershop scents anytime of the year, i will admit that the one i mainly go for is alot "Lighter" then others.
have u tried Phoenix Artisian Acc - Club Guy?
leaves be feeling fresher then other shop scents ive tried.
i definetly rate it over "Cad" which is another one they do
I haven't tried club guy but CAD is another I haven't found myself use in the last 3 months.

whats the Grand Havana like?
The Grand Havana is a great soap @the_shaving_sailor if you like cigars, brandy and leather armchairs (or the scent anyway). It has the smoky/tobacco scents and the brandy/rum/spice aroma, with a bit of vanilla sweetness. Its a real favourite of mine in cooler weather and goes well with Bay Rum type splashes. The Grand Havana Club is a chain of upmarket cigar bars in the US so Im not sure if that what the name refers to.
I can bring it along to the meet up if you want. One sniff of Grand Havana will be better than all my feeble attempts at explanation!!

The Grand Havana is a great soap @the_shaving_sailor if you like cigars, brandy and leather armchairs (or the scent anyway). It has the smoky/tobacco scents and the brandy/rum/spice aroma, with a bit of vanilla sweetness. Its a real favourite of mine in cooler weather and goes well with Bay Rum type splashes. The Grand Havana Club is a chain of upmarket cigar bars in the US so Im not sure if that what the name refers to.
I can bring it along to the meet up if you want. One sniff of Grand Havana will be better than all my feeble attempts at explanation!!
would love to give it a sniff if you don't mind bringing it. with a gee up like that how can I resist!
please and thankyou