Troy Tools Custom Brush Handles

I couldn't help myself. Another awesome brush by Troy in my collection.

lynklmq.jpeg

BolMacE.jpeg

X6BadLm.jpeg

This one had some clever engineering built into the knot socket.
An oversized hole was drilled in the top of the blank.
Holes were drilled at an accurate angle from the top edge of the knot socket into the base of the "too deep" socket floor, angled towards the centreline.
Threads were tapped into those holes to provide superior grip strength for the resin to hold onto.
Dimples and grooves were carved into the interior sidewalls of the wood knot socket to give the resin more resistance to spinning in the socket.
The resin being poured into this specially prepared hole in the wood blank, this resin plug can't pull out and can't spin. It's physically locked in place.
This resin liner is designed to provide strength to the narrow wood grain knot socket against the expanding badger knot when it's wet.
Splitting of the knot socket is what this process was implemented to prevent.

After curing time for the resin, the build began.
With a very secure brown resin plug in the top of the wood, the right sized drill was used for a 26mm knot (the size under the drill used to create the resin plug).
A perfectly formed and seamless resin liner now sits inside the knot socket. It is visually undetectable, but provides valuable strength to withstand the expansive outward exertions placed upon it by the wet natural hair fibres.
Traditional wood turning tools and technique used to create the handle from this point on.
Finished in CA for a superior wood seal and high gloss durability.
This is one special brush, custom made for @LesC right here on this forum.
Congratulations Les, it's beautiful.

"Curly" Jarrah has what is best described as tiger stripes running around the circumference of the handle. The grain runs longitudinally top to bottom, but the stripes run laterally to the grain. There are also "wiggling" appearance in the grain in parts. A very interesting piece of wood, not often seen.

epEJq7w.jpg

0StdPF0.jpg

AFHrIeP.jpg

jgw6H9n.jpg

Holes were drilled at an accurate angle from the top edge of the knot socket into the base of the "too deep" socket floor, angled towards the centreline.
Threads were tapped into those holes to provide superior grip strength for the resin to hold onto.
Dimples and grooves were carved into the interior sidewalls of the wood knot socket to give the resin more resistance to spinning in the socket.
The resin being poured into this specially prepared hole in the wood blank, this resin plug can't pull out and can't spin. It's physically locked in place.
This resin liner is designed to provide strength to the narrow wood grain knot socket against the expanding badger knot when it's wet.

With a very secure brown resin plug in the top of the wood, the right sized drill was used for a 26mm knot (the size under the drill used to create the resin plug).
A perfectly formed and seamless resin liner now sits inside the knot socket. It is visually undetectable, but provides valuable strength to withstand the expansive outward exertions placed upon it by the wet natural hair fibres.
Traditional wood turning tools and technique used to create the handle from this point on.

"Curly" Jarrah has what is best described as tiger stripes running around the circumference of the handle. The grain runs longitudinally top to bottom, but the stripes run laterally to the grain. There are also "wiggling" appearance in the grain in parts. A very interesting piece of wood, not often seen.

epEJq7w.jpg

0StdPF0.jpg

AFHrIeP.jpg

jgw6H9n.jpg
@TroyTools, yes mate she looks a beauty, cant wait till I pick it up. ❤️ at 1st site. I will be calling it "Trubby 2.5", (get it :LOL:) being the approx size difference between the Simpson Ch 2 and 3, albeit with the smaller 26mm knot.
You've outdone yourself here Troy it's pure craft workmanship not often seen in todays 'Mass' produced market/society. (y)(y)

epEJq7w.jpg

0StdPF0.jpg

AFHrIeP.jpg

jgw6H9n.jpg
Lovely work Troy, and a lovely little piece of Jarrah. I lived in WA for almost 25 years, and was often appalled by how off-handedly many people would talk about this almost ubiquitous timber. I often found nice curly pieces in firewood piles. (!) This one is a TOB that (as the poem says) will be a joy forever.

Oh, very nice!

A big handle for a 28mm knot.
This one has aluminium plates cast into the resin blank when poured.
For the purpose of strength and longevity, the plates have holes drilled through the centre to allow the resin to connect right through the handle, top to bottom.
This also helps secure the whole assembly against any twisting of the parts.
I do like the look of synthetics in this one for some reason.
Nothing glued in yet though.

Given this worked out so well, I have another colour combo in mind for this style now.
Stay tuned.

urlsGjD.jpg

QoPiAqR.jpg

UlWPC5M.jpg

UDqYLLU.jpg

Qrk4zYB.jpg

dTROdyi.jpg

TBXb8Pt.jpg

HTksb4i.jpg

WIVtoLw.jpg

Oh, very nice!

A big handle for a 28mm knot.
This one has aluminium plates cast into the resin blank when poured.
For the purpose of strength and longevity, the plates have holes drilled through the centre to allow the resin to connect right through the handle, top to bottom.
This also helps secure the whole assembly against any twisting of the parts.
I do like the look of synthetics in this one for some reason.
Nothing glued in yet though.

Given this worked out so well, I have another colour combo in mind for this style now.
Stay tuned.

urlsGjD.jpg

QoPiAqR.jpg

UlWPC5M.jpg

UDqYLLU.jpg

Qrk4zYB.jpg

dTROdyi.jpg

TBXb8Pt.jpg

HTksb4i.jpg

WIVtoLw.jpg
Very nice 👌