Ugly but Nice

Errol

Razor Review Guru
I cut myself up pretty bad on an Ikon B1 safety razor about a month or so ago and was a bit hesitant about trying the B1 slant as I figured it would be even more severe. A couple of weeks ago, out of stupidity or being plain pig headed I changed my technique and got a good shave out of the B1 safety. Time to try the B1 slant and was amazed at the difference; a good honest shave, smooth and not aggressive. Probably not the best shave ever but not bad. After shaving on Friday morning I looked at the slant and started thinking that a razor that looked so ugly had no right to perform so well.

Last night I read with interest @Korbz review on the Rockwell 6s razor and how it performed so well. I later looked at a photo of the razor and immediately thought I have another contender for the 'Ugly but Nice' title.

Your thoughts

OMG Rockwell ugly?
Not in my opinion. It's definitely utilitarian but I wouldn't say ugly.

The handle is a tad boring but I must say, I find the razor head looks awesome!

Honestly I think it looks forgettable at best.

I like function over form. Things that have utility are always more beautiful to my eyes. That's one of the reasons I love the look of my Rockwell. When I add up features, price, materials and performance I can't think of a better DE on the market today. It's a beauty!

... but my Feather Artist Club DX is still better...

In terms of practicality yes function over form is paramount but when you are paying over $100 for a razor it is fair to expect it to be both functional and beautiful in my opinion as there are plenty of razors on the market both new but mostly vintage that offer that.