Ugly Duckling becomes ... [How to clean a crudy eBay razor]

OK, so far so good BUT ...

Case is scratched -

So, I hit it with some Plastx on a cotton makeup pad and then buffed off with a soft cotton cloth -

Could keep working on it to try and make perfect, but for this exercise - good enough.

Now, turning to the razor -

Remember that verdigris I mentioned -

1sJVz46m.jpg
uH7lvQKm.jpg

Also some wear and scratching on the head -

Time for 10 minutes in the ultrasonic -

Last edited:
Finally, a little polish -

... and the result (click on links for higher resolution shots) -

Still some of the verdigris there -

... but I'm not looking for perfection on this project.

By way of reminder -

About an hour in time and not a whole lot of gear you might not already have (you can use a smaller ultrasonic just as well)

Want to own this former ugly duckling?

Check out the thread in the B/S/T here.

Last edited:
I'm impressed. Hadn't heard of that plastx product before, it looks like it might be useful for all sorts of things. Thinking of the headlights on my ute here...

I'm impressed. Hadn't heard of that plastx product before, it looks like it might be useful for all sorts of things. Thinking of the headlights on my ute here...

It is made for headlights and you do need to be careful about some of the new plastic polish products - some can make a real mess of old plastic due to changes in composition over time.

Thanks for sharing Mark, the razor and case came up a treat, especially that dimpled gold insert
Have been humming and hawing over an ultrasonic cleaner for a while.

Thanks for sharing Mark, the razor and case came up a treat, especially that dimpled gold insert
Have been humming and hawing over an ultrasonic cleaner for a while.

Yeah I don't think that they are essential personally. They are nice to have but I think mostly you can clean and polish without them.

I also have a Dremel which many people swear by for polishing but I don't then to bother.

@Tony Forsyth uses it to polish his brush handles and it also works as a light polish on metal!

Now, turning to the razor -

Remember that verdigris I mentioned -

1sJVz46m.jpg
uH7lvQKm.jpg

Also some wear and scratching on the head -

Time for 10 minutes in the ultrsonic -

Very informative thread. What is the brand, model etc of the ultrasonic cleaner that you are using @Mark1966 and where do you get them from?

Thanks to all that contributed. I found the whole thread very informative with lot's of low tech tips.

Very informative thread. What is the brand, model etc of the ultrasonic cleaner that you are using @Mark1966 and where do you get them from?

Thanks to all that contributed. I found the whole thread very informative with lot's of low tech tips.

It looks to be a 3.2L and the same one @DougW posted recently.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/373620317357?hash=item56fd819cad:g:R9EAAOSwZltgzW3B

Source:
https://paste-and-cut.com.au/commun...cleaner-napisan-for-cleaning.7048/post-189939