Used car

Drubbing

110% Smiley-Free
Happy Xmas Hangovers all...

I'm in the market for a car, a 2013 0r 14. looking to spend 16k max, less if I can find a dealer needing to make their monthly quota. I've had company vehicles for the last 10 years, but have got a new job at my current work, a promotion of sorts, but they will take back the car as I'll be more desk based. I've got some grace to look around though. Plus I'll string them out as much as I can.

I thought I'd get some opinions in case there were models I hadn't considered. I've had Corollas and recently a Camry for the last 6 years, and yes, they a fucking boring as batshit to drive. But I have 3 young kids, one going to paid high school this feb, so Toyota style reliability is a must to keep family budget stable. I've had Audi and Land Rover before and I will not buy those shitbox money and time wasters again, I know the pain of landing a lemon.

I'm looking at a small hatch or sedan, not really fussed.

I considered a Golf, but VW reliability just doesn't seem to be there. Otherwise, the drive and interiors are top notch.

I'm not that keen on Hyundai or Kia's, but they seem to offer value. Look kind of shit though. Had a Subaru Forester once, so Impreza was considered but seems a bit staid and thirsty, relatively speaking.

Top of my list is a Mazda 3. I see it as a Toyota with nice drive and classy interior + fruit. Would have to go to a '13 or older with my budget though. Hoping the new year lowers '14 prices and I can also get a deal. I'll be buying with my head, so happy to walk away from a good car at the wrong price. Sales dudes hate that.

Any others worth looking at?

I'd be reticent to go down to a Golf/3/Corolla size with 3 kids, especially if one is High School age. It will start to get squishy in there, but if this is your car and not the family car (ie the Missus' soccer wagon) and only to get you around and the occasional soccer run then it matters far less.

The Mazdas are very popular and hold their resale well as a result. I'd look to something else honestly, I think there is better bang for buck elsewhere. Never been a fan of their manuals as teh change is very notchy. The dash is also a bit meh in the older models, haven't sat in the newer model though.

That said, you can get a 2014 Pulsar ST Sedan (1.8L) for under $16K if you shop around, most will be about 30K on the odo. Again, not the most exciting but reliable cars that will be cheaper to dealer service than the Toyotas. Roomier in the back too - with kids that is important. I only have two and even in the back of the XR6 it can get testing sometimes.

You would also be looking at a 2014 Ford Focus Trend - slightly better 2L engine and handles better than most. The 'Trend' model will have the alloy wheels and some other fruit that's worth getting over the 'Ambiente' with only a 1.6L. A cursory look shows that $16K for a 2014 Focus Trend should be doable, and you should get change on the 2013.

Happy Xmas Hangovers all...

I'm in the market for a car, a 2013 0r 14. looking to spend 16k max, less if I can find a dealer needing to make their monthly quota. I've had company vehicles for the last 10 years, but have got a new job at my current work, a promotion of sorts, but they will take back the car as I'll be more desk based. I've got some grace to look around though. Plus I'll string them out as much as I can....

So you got that job! Nice one.

.....Top of my list is a Mazda 3. I see it as a Toyota with nice drive and classy interior + fruit. Would have to go to a '13 or older with my budget though. Hoping the new year lowers '14 prices and I can also get a deal. I'll be buying with my head, so happy to walk away from a good car at the wrong price. Sales dudes hate that.

Any others worth looking at?

After my trusted Subaru got nicked almost in front of my eyes, I spent the insurance money on a Mazda 323. My budget was about a third of yours. I asked the garage where we've had our cars serviced for years and that was the first car make and model he mentioned. Don't know if it's the same for the newer Mazda 3 models but in my meager reading of car related stuff I get the impression it is. You ain't going to impress the Joneses at your sons new school but who cares.

I'd be reticent to go down to a Golf/3/Corolla size with 3 kids, especially if one is High School age. It will start to get squishy in there, but if this is your car and not the family car (ie the Missus' soccer wagon) and only to get you around and the occasional soccer run then it matters far less.

Small size not a problem. Mainly my car. No.1 will be up front and usually just 2 kids in the back when I do taxi. We've a Kluger for the family bus.

Uncle owns a Kia Rio, a Mazda 3 and Mother owns a new Corolla.
driving all three, the latest model Corolla is the best ride, comfort and feature wise.
Rio would be an ok runabout, yet the engine lacks the power and smoothness of the other two.
# lacks the refinement in design and is cramped in the front seats, particularly the manual models
Corolla, well, it's viewed as beige, as it does everything just fine, yet doesn't stand out as exceptional in any one immediate field.

I have a 2012 Mazda 3 - great car. The new model is larger and more fuel efficient. The Corolla is a good car and so is the Golf (but servicing more pricey).

I bought a Mazda 2 in new 03 and just can't let it go because it is such a great car - never had anything wrong with it except a dead battery...

Our Hyundai i30 diesel is awesome. Has more torque than a WRX under 3k rpm too, so very nice to drive. Just need to get over the "Korean cars suck" mentality and realize that they are actually pretty decent now.