Used just one soap for some time...

Blackie

The guy from over the ditch
In order to get room to store 'more' soap I have been thrashing DR Harris 'Arlington' lately.
I just want to use the wee bugger up. But there is a problem...it's a hard soap and really takes some work to wear it down.
So for the last many weeks I have just used the Arlington, and finally I have a 'doughnut of death' appearing (Yay!).
But this morning I decided to use the Blue Devil 'Lust' soap ('cos I was tired of Arlington, Arlington, Arlington, etc).
Well, the difference in the shave shows through.
The Lust was a nicer lather, and the shave felt 'silkier' (that's the best way I have to describe it).
Nothing wrong with Arlington. It lathers OK, mild scent, lasts forever (I figure I could get more than a years worth of shaves from a tub of Arlington...so it's good value).
But the difference that a modern formulated soap offers is compelling.
The Blue Devil 'Lust' soap is lovely.
I will buy more Blue Devil, and maybe a Salt lake too once I get rid of the remainder of the Arlington (did I mention that it is a hard soap to actually wear down. Maybe a boar would whip it into shape quicker?).

If you have never tried a Salt Lake Soap, I highly recommend them. Unfortunately, he doesn't really list the scent profile for any of them but Attitude and 50 Shades are two of my favorites,

Blackie, I hear you. I have a puck of Crabtree & Evelyn Sienna tripple milled soap that I have been using for years. It is down to the 'donut of death' but won't be gone this year. It is a good performer, great value, but the scent is lacking and I want to try other soaps. I'm not going to toss it, so I'll keep persisting.

@Straight up I'm thinking maybe I should grate the Arlington and add in some grated Speick stick. Just for a change, as I can't see me wearing out the Arlington in the next few months.
Will probably buy new soaps in the New Year as mail from Australia is getting slow now with Xmas rush, Covid, etc.
Then I will have something waiting for me when I finally finish that Arlington off.
It's not a bad soap at all. Quite the opposite, and if someone wanted a good economy soap then the DR Harris soaps are a good value because they do last so long.
We have so many choices these days. Can't try them all...although @SpeedyPC is having a crack at it.
Thanks for the warning...I won't buy Crabtree & Evelyn 'Sienna' soap.

I had a puck of Harris Windsor ages ago which I felt I would never defeat. I grated the bugger and was about 80gms of soap. Those 80grams were gone in about 6 weeks.
Load it heavy and then load more. Best way to get a great lather imo.

I had a puck of Harris Windsor ages ago which I felt I would never defeat. I grated the bugger and was about 80gms of soap. Those 80grams were gone in about 6 weeks.
Load it heavy and then load more. Best way to get a great lather imo.
I'm about 1/3 through the bowl of Windsor that @rhodes96 sent my way last May, just with occasional use. At one point I thought I might finish it by Christmas, but that's not going to happen now. Suits me just fine, I really like it. (y)

I had a play with the Arlington...grated it and mixed in some grated Speick stick.
Shoved it all down in the tub and used it for last 2 shaves.
It's better. Nice creamy lather, smells almost Speick-like, and does feel better when shaving...a bit more slick, and cushioning.
I quite like using it now.

Interesting topic!

I'm one of those who prefer milled soaps over artisan because I generally don't like all the butters/super fats etc in my shaving soaps as they leave my face greasy.
This is not to say I don't like artisan soaps at all... E.g. @Pbgoose soaps I love!

As for the slickness, I can't say artisan soaps are better. Perhaps it's a perception of better because they are definitely a little easier to use, but this is just a guess.

There is also a misconception that hard soaps need extra loading due to being hard but one must remember, we are not "scraping" soap with a brush, we are "dissolving" it with the water in the brush (ever tried scraping soap with a totally dry brush?)...

A milled soap is under 5% water content, therefore, much more concentrated. Once I realised this years ago, I loaded less and found the slickness had elevated by magnitudes, whereas loading it for longer really took away from optimal slickness.

Interesting topic!

I'm one of those who prefer milled soaps over artisan because I generally don't like all the butters/super fats etc in my shaving soaps as they leave my face greasy.
I'm beginning to arrive at the same conclusion. Interestingly, I often find that milled soaps tend to give me my smoothest and closest shaves. I don't have a good explanation for this, only a number of guesses. My post-shave routine takes care of dehydrating issues with any soap, so that's one thing I never need to worry about, so the soap doesn't have to do anything more than be nice and slick.

Interesting topic!

This is not to say I don't like artisan soaps at all... E.g. @Pbgoose soaps I love!

As for the slickness, I can't say artisan soaps are better. Perhaps it's a perception of better because they are definitely a little easier to use, but this is just a guess.

There is also a misconception that hard soaps need extra loading due to being hard but one must remember, we are not "scraping" soap with a brush, we are "dissolving" it with the water in the brush (ever tried scraping soap with a totally dry brush?)...

A milled soap is under 5% water content, therefore, much more concentrated. Once I realised this years ago, I loaded less and found the slickness had elevated by magnitudes, whereas loading it for longer really took away from optimal slickness.

Haha....thanks @nav1 . I had gone away from triple milled soaps for some time. Due to the COVID climate and because we're trying to complete a major renovation/build I haven't given as much time to the shave routine so the triple milled soaps I own have gotten more of a run and I've gained a new appreciation for them and I agree with you except my preference is still for the artisan soap. I suspect this more to do with skin type and because I like to use straight razors. I find I pair milled soaps with DE/SE's and probably I have also engineered my soaps around straight razor shaving, hence my attraction to the use of clay and silk.

The problem with milled soaps is the buggers last forever, whereas if artisan soap is softer (higher moisture content) then the puck doesn't last as long (better for sales?:ROFLMAO:..........not that I'd know).

I'm beginning to arrive at the same conclusion. Interestingly, I often find that milled soaps tend to give me my smoothest and closest shaves. I don't have a good explanation for this, only a number of guesses. My post-shave routine takes care of dehydrating issues with any soap, so that's one thing I never need to worry about, so the soap doesn't have to do anything more than be nice and slick.

Yah, post shave balm is plenty enough.

Personally, I never suffer dry skin from good milled soaps (MWF, Speick, DR Harris etc) so the balm is not for moisture but just to calm the post-shave skin.

Arko is the only soap that actually dries out my skin (I'll guessing due to the citronella oil) so I use it in the most humid part of the year.

Haha....thanks @nav1 . I had gone away from triple milled soaps for some time. Due to the COVID climate and because we're trying to complete a major renovation/build I haven't given as much time to the shave routine so the triple milled soaps I own have gotten more of a run and I've gained a new appreciation for them and I agree with you except my preference is still for the artisan soap. I suspect this more to do with skin type and because I like to use straight razors. I find I pair milled soaps with DE/SE's and probably I have also engineered my soaps around straight razor shaving, hence my attraction to the use of clay and silk.

The problem with milled soaps is the buggers last forever, whereas if artisan soap is softer (higher moisture content) then the puck doesn't last as long (better for sales?:ROFLMAO:..........not that I'd know).

I can definitely understand why you would have taken that approach with your soap although I found them to create lather just the way I like it! 👌

I'm actually embarrassed to admit that it took me a very long time to realise I was using milled soaps incorrectly.

I started using them in 2008 and it wasn't until a couple of years that I realised I was way overloading (mainly due to the "guidance" received on B&B and couple of other forums).

I then stopped dipping the brush in water to load more soap. Changing to just the one single load of the brush (about 15 seconds with a damp brush), gives the perfect amount of hydrated, creamy and slick lather for 4 passes.

I can definitely understand why you would have taken that approach with your soap although I found them to create lather just the way I like it! 👌

I'm actually embarrassed to admit that it took me a very long time to realise I was using milled soaps incorrectly.

I started using them in 2008 and it wasn't until a couple of years that I realised I was way overloading (mainly due to the "guidance" received on B&B and couple of other forums).

I then stopped dipping the brush in water to load more soap. Changing to just the one single load of the brush (about 15 seconds with a damp brush), gives the perfect amount of hydrated, creamy and slick lather for 4 passes.
After the 15 second load do you then face lather to finish the lather?

Yah, face lather whilst adding a lot of water bit by bit.
Once I have loaded the brush I splash my face with warm water (hey...this is NZ, not warm, tropical Aussie where you can safely splash on cold water).
Then face lather on my wet face, with added wee dip of brush tip into water (warm of course), if extra water is needed.
I do get a nice lather with all my soaps (including the tub of Derby).
My Arlington/Speick is just because I'm now tired of plain old Arlington, Arlington, Arlington, etc.

Once I have loaded the brush I splash my face with warm water (hey...this is NZ, not warm, tropical Aussie where you can safely splash on cold water).
Then face lather on my wet face, with added wee dip of brush tip into water (warm of course), if extra water is needed.
I do get a nice lather with all my soaps (including the tub of Derby).
My Arlington/Speick is just because I'm now tired of plain old Arlington, Arlington, Arlington, etc.

I use one of those mister sprays to add water as I face lather. It really provides a great experience.

I used Speick today (stick grated into container), what an amazing experience!

I love the scent on this stuff so much!!

Now that my Arlington/Speick blend has had a few days to 'mature' in the tub the scent is actually very nice.
It has the best of both scents now, and quite an enjoyable shave experience.
I have some grated Speick left, so may try that in the tub of Derby!