Value buy?

A word of warning about ATLAS store on AliExpress, they are known to send the wrong items or not at all. Their customer support is also garbage, but AliExpress will refund you for legitimate issues.

A word of warning about ATLAS store on AliExpress, they are known to send the wrong items or not at all. Their customer support is also garbage, but AliExpress will refund you for legitimate issues.
I was going to ask if anyone had any experience with them - caveat emptor!

That's one of the great things about this forum, you'll have people that will nudge you in the right direction.
I have some Usta blades, they are unmarked which makes them more susceptible to counterfeits but that aside they aren't a particularly brilliant blade but are a step up from the Derby Extra's in my opinion. I have over 100 Derby premiums that I haven't tried so I am not sure if there is a difference between the two.

hahaha, I can't imagine ordering so many blades in one go but thanks to this forum I can imagine owning or someone here owning that many blades or more in total.

AliExpress seems to be a gamble and a place you would order from if you aren't in a rush also but lets not forget that Australia post are also behind right now and as of tomorrow will not be picking up any new orders from stores.

Imagine burning up your S/O or families goodwill when it comes to shaving supplies on 15k USTA blades. The horror!

Don't get me wrong, good blades if you get genuine ones, just that store is trash

Okay I will add it to my list of blades to revisit. I bought 100 of them from beard and blade (I believe) when they first came out. I think I've got 98 more to go. :D

It never ceases to amuse me, there are some people here who have amassed so many blades, it's more likely that our species will have evolved into something that never needs to shave before those vast collections ever get used up... :whistle:

That title was in reference not to the 15k of blades specifically, more so the 15k Derby usta blades. Terrible blades. :unsure:

It never ceases to amuse me, there are some people here who have amassed so many blades, it's more likely that our species will have evolved into something that never needs to shave before those vast collections ever get used up... :whistle:

If there is one thing I am aggressive about is buying blades. When I came back to the hobby more recently and discovered that one of my go to blades was no more PolSilver and realised how over the years so many more blades have vanished before it then it made me think. Before I left and I was on a high I was intending to buy many PolSilver blades so it left a sour taste in my mouth to learn they were gone (to an extent) so I promised to not repeat the same mistakes as before.

I feel like blades collecting has always been a thing, I mean you gotta wonder why there are so many vintage blades remaining in the world these days and boy aren't we grateful about that. (never tried vintage blades myself) I am sure many people's fathers or grandfathers had a fairly good stash of blades too.
Whilst I don't have 15K Derby Usta blades I have got a modest assortment of various razors with a few hundred of my favourites. I'm kinda odd and tend to buy 100 blades at a time even and rarely buy single packs. Honestly sometimes its just better value for money to go about it that way provided that the blades are somewhat usable.

I find that sometimes you just have to find the right blade for the right razor and also sometimes we grow into blades be it skin/hair or level of skill but I feel like its worthwhile to keep a few oddball blades around unless they are completely beyond redemption.
Has anyone ever revisited a blade they once hated at one point to then be pleasantly surprised?

I'm now starting to wonder what everyone else's blade buying habits are like. My mindset is if you like a particular blade and see yourself using said blade more often then not then buy as many as you want because once they're gone, they're gone and at least this way you have eliminated one variable you don't need and have a good amount of blades and should have a consistent baseline for your shaves.
Whatever helps gets you to shave and enjoy your shave is okay with me.

I guess if if you could go back in time and buy as many of your favourite vintage blades as you can, would you? I know I would! I'd buy a few vintage razors too. Okay, we know... I am a horder that has way too much to say. LOL

If there is one thing I am aggressive about is buying blades. When I came back to the hobby more recently and discovered that one of my go to blades was no more PolSilver and realised how over the years so many more blades have vanished before it then it made me think. Before I left and I was on a high I was intending to buy many PolSilver blades so it left a sour taste in my mouth to learn they were gone (to an extent) so I promised to not repeat the same mistakes as before.

I feel like blades collecting has always been a thing, I mean you gotta wonder why there are so many vintage blades remaining in the world these days and boy aren't we grateful about that. (never tried vintage blades myself) I am sure many people's fathers or grandfathers had a fairly good stash of blades too.
Whilst I don't have 15K Derby Usta blades I have got a modest assortment of various razors with a few hundred of my favourites. I'm kinda odd and tend to buy 100 blades at a time even and rarely buy single packs. Honestly sometimes its just better value for money to go about it that way provided that the blades are somewhat usable.

I find that sometimes you just have to find the right blade for the right razor and also sometimes we grow into blades be it skin/hair or level of skill but I feel like its worthwhile to keep a few oddball blades around unless they are completely beyond redemption.
Has anyone ever revisited a blade they once hated at one point to then be pleasantly surprised?

I'm now starting to wonder what everyone else's blade buying habits are like. My mindset is if you like a particular blade and see yourself using said blade more often then not then buy as many as you want because once they're gone, they're gone and at least this way you have eliminated one variable you don't need and have a good amount of blades and should have a consistent baseline for your shaves.
Whatever helps gets you to shave and enjoy your shave is okay with me.

I guess if if you could go back in time and buy as many of your favourite vintage blades as you can, would you? I know I would! I'd buy a few vintage razors too. Okay, we know... I am a horder that has way too much to say. LOL

Yes I should have stockpiled my favourite blades before they went out of production. Through luck and keeping a close eye on the typical blade sales mediums( aghhh that's BS, it was luck:D), I was able to secure a lifetime of my favourite blades. Then by even more luck, the manufacturer decided to remake the blade again with a new name.:)

In regards to the Russian Polsilver blades, isn't the Wizamet blade supposed to be the same?

Yes I should have stockpiled my favourite blades before they went out of production. Through luck and keeping a close eye on the typical blade sales mediums( aghhh that's BS, it was luck:D), I was able to secure a lifetime of my favourite blades. Then by even more luck, the manufacturer decided to remake the blade again with a new name.:)

In regards to the Russian Polsilver blades, isn't the Wizamet blade supposed to be the same?

That's good to hear. I have been very blade focused lately and feel like blades are the one thing you need to consistent more than anything else. It's not like some artisan company is going to appear and produce a fresh batch of your favourite blade at all and if you haven't got a good blade then a great razor won't help you really.

I haven't compared the two but it was exactly the kick in the pants I needed to start buying up blades left right and centre. Some people say the Wizamets aren't the same as the PolSilvers but others do and honestly I wouldn't be surprised if people probably couldn't pass a blind test between the two given what I have read.

It's also kinda cool knowing that if blades stop being produced that many years down the line your grandchildren or great grandchildren or even some random shaver might be enjoying and depend on your stash of blades some day.