Vintage brushes - are they worth the investment ?

Holiday

from Lanolin
Grand Society
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
Hi all, looking to buy a vintage brush to accompany Slim in b'day kit.
Preferring UK and European makers, and not that keen on the USA rubberset because they look like long lanky sweepers with no backbone but there must be a reason these were so popular.
- Are vintage brushes worth it?
- Do they tend to be past expiry date and need a new knot?
- How do the long haired rubbersets perform?
Prefer utility over nostalgia

I *might* have a few vintage (butterscotch) brushes I use pretty regularly -

mRpSNUql.jpg

The Culmak, far left is reknotted in a TGN finest, the Simpson at far right is reknotted by them in 'Pure' (I figured the pure marking on the brush was a grade, it wasn't, so used their basic pure badger in the reknot but it has broken in for softness)

The rest are as purchased. I can get a decent lather out of all of them BUT they tend to be smaller brushes and not the 30mm or even 26mm brushes you see now.

The uncommon boar, second from the left, is clearly a lot less of a knot that a new one would be but I use it as it is so soft. I have other vintage brushes that I don't use regularly and would get reknotted before using, except for my "nano" Wee Scott which is tiny but usable.

I would not bother with a rubberset unless it was reknotted - having had them in hand they are not great. I have seen reknotted ones though which look fantastic.

It will depend on the brush what you need to do.

Thanks Mark, lovely looking collection.
Can brushes be dated accurately? I would really like a 66' birth year one to match the Slim.

I have a Vintage Hoffritz, paid $350 USD I believe(?) via a 'General' hookup a year or two back. Its immaculate and worth every single cent, it is sublime. Its a very early Chubby 3, but man it has such lines and natural age.

Thanks Mark, lovely looking collection.
Can brushes be dated accurately? I would really like a 66' birth year one to match the Slim.

I don't think so unfortunately. You can get from the era but that is about it.

I have a Vintage Hoffritz, paid $350 USD I believe(?) via a 'General' hookup a year or two back. Its immaculate and worth every single cent, it is sublime. Its a very early Chubby 3, but man it has such lines and natural age.

That was, is, an exceptional brush.

You will pay reasonable $$$ for a brush like that which I believe will be the equal of any new one. There is a lot of rubbish vintage brushes around and these quality are harder to fine and priced accordingly.

That was, is, an exceptional brush.

You will pay reasonable $$$ for a brush like that which I believe will be the equal of any new one. There is a lot of rubbish vintage brushes around and these quality are harder to fine and priced accordingly.

Strongly agree with all of this, once in a blue moon someone may let something really special go, when that happens you need to have $310 USD or so to hand and absolutely no hesitation as they are becoming harder and harder to come by, especially in good condition. I have not looked recently, but I suspect brushes like the Hoffritz, in that condition would go for a lot more, especially to collectors. I bought it to preserve it as it is just such a beautiful brush and its not something to me now, I consider in terms of its monetary worth - I just like looking at the damm thing!

Hi @todras, I stumbled across this thread while researching. Did you end up getting them re-knotted

https://paste-and-cut.com.au/commun...tting-vintage-simpson-brushes.2943/post-74644

Anyway, here is my beauty from the original sale, it has remained cased and gets used once a year, I owe obtaining this brush to @Mark1966 and will be forever grateful. Since that day I have spoken to a number of top tier brush makers (including Mark from Simpsons) who have all said the same thing, keep that knot in the brush, it is impeccable and needs preserving so the answer is no, it will remain untouched. It is a massive brush too, the knot itself (for its age) is enormous as is the handle. :)

vqgT4Pc.jpg

Strongly agree with all of this, once in a blue moon someone may let something really special go, when that happens you need to have $310 USD or so to hand and absolutely no hesitation as they are becoming harder and harder to come by, especially in good condition. I have not looked recently, but I suspect brushes like the Hoffritz, in that condition would go for a lot more, especially to collectors. I bought it to preserve it as it is just such a beautiful brush.

Anyway, here is my beauty from the original sale, it has remained cased and gets used once a year, I owe obtaining this brush to @Mark1966 and will be forever grateful. Since that day I have spoken to a number of top tier brush makers who have all said the same thing, keep that knot in the brush, it is impeccable and needs preserving :)

vqgT4Pc.jpg
That bulb looks very sexy in the vintage butterscotch handle

I have found that great vintage handle more than likely deserve great new brush knots. Old hair and other knots are not much fun! Whatever floats your boat, but I lean towards Exceptional badger hair re-knots! I love the way those old "special" handles turn out with famous new knots? BUT, I also know that shaving brushes are utilitarian tools and modern handles with the same Exceptional brush knots are really great. It's all about what exactly floats your boat!!! Some like modern Art. Some like the old Masters. That's life!

I *might* have a few vintage (butterscotch) brushes I use pretty regularly -

A beautiful collection @Mark1966 Did you buy most of them locally or from the USA?

The Culmak, far left is reknotted in a TGN finest,

Who does the reknots? Is it something that you can do yourself or it really needs to be done by an "expert hobbyist"?

I have a Vintage Hoffritz, paid $350 USD I believe(?) via a 'General' hookup a year or two back. Its immaculate and worth every single cent, it is sublime

I saw the photo. It's simply beautiful.

I would not bother with a rubberset unless it was reknotted - having had them in hand they are not great.

I was a bit disappointed to read this to be honest. I've never used a rubberset, but think that the restored ones look really beautiful. I do have a couple of them incoming. I like to bowl lather - something to do with seeing that beautiful thick rich creamy lather develop right before my eyes in the bowl. I find the whole process a bit therapeutic! But one thing that irritates me is getting that beautiful lather all over the handle of the brush. Maybe it's something lacking in my technique. I've often thought that a couple of nice rubbersets with the long handles might solve that problem.

I presume that is why they were designed with the longer handles?

Can I ask what it is that you don't like about the originals?

Last edited:
A beautiful collection @Mark1966 Did you buy most of them locally or from the USA?

US and UK :)

Who does the reknots? Is it something that you can do yourself or it really needs to be done by an "expert hobbyist"?

A former member here did this one for me as part of a trade deal. A few others around have done are planning on doing them.

I was a bit disappointed to read this to be honest. I've never used a rubberset, but think that the restored ones look really beautiful. I do have a couple of them incoming. I like to bowl lather - something to do with seeing that beautiful thick rich creamy lather develop right before my eyes in the bowl. I find the whole process a bit therapeutic! But one thing that irritates me is getting that beautiful lather all over the handle of the brush. Maybe it's something lacking in my technique. I've often thought that a couple of nice rubbersets with the long handles might solve that problem.

You and me both - they do look great

Can I ask what it is that you don't like about the originals?

Floppy and lacking substance - just like a mop head flopping around :(

Floppy and lacking substance - just like a mop head flopping around

Thanks. That's good to know. I presume that putting a new modern knot in the vintage brush / handle part solves that problem?

I'm hoping your answer is yes because i have a few incoming!