the_shaving_sailor

2018 Sabbatical
g'day everyone.

found these little beauties on ebay
$6 for a pack of 5.

how did I do?

Screenshot_20170222_133315.png
Screenshot_20170222_133311.png

Less time on eBay so your phone battery doesn't run out would be my first suggestion! :)

I'm pretty sure that they are an older carbon steel blade. They may be usable or may not be, bit of a gamble I think. The blade experts might be along to correct me though.

Less time on eBay so your phone battery doesn't run out would be my first suggestion! :)

I'm pretty sure that they are an older carbon steel blade. They may be usable or may not be, bit of a gamble I think. The blade experts might be along to correct me though.

shes going straight to the display cabinet. i think ill keep 2 of the best condition ones for display and trade the others. i dont know why but all of a sudden i seem to keep aquiring alot of vintage NOS blades. i think i may have found my nieche haha

I think @Mark1966 is right that they could well be carbon blades. I know I've tried a couple (not those particular ones) and didn't find them particularly nice to shave with. However if you can find some of the early stainless blades, they are thought to be better than blades that are in current production by some. May well be worth keeping an eye out for some of these, but the carbon blades are only really any good for collecting, as long as you realise that they won't increase in value during your lifetime.

I think @Mark1966 is right that they could well be carbon blades. I know I've tried a couple (not those particular ones) and didn't find them particularly nice to shave with. However if you can find some of the early stainless blades, they are thought to be better than blades that are in current production by some. May well be worth keeping an eye out for some of these, but the carbon blades are only really any good for collecting, as long as you realise that they won't increase in value during your lifetime.

not in it to make $$ anymore. I just enjoy collecting :)

confirmed carbon blades no good to shave with

not in it to make $$ anymore. I just enjoy collecting :)

confirmed carbon blades no good to shave with
Like a lot of their razors, you can work out when a lot of vintage Gillette blades were manufactured as they printed the year and quarter code on many of them. Might be interesting to see exactly how old your blades are.
They look like Gillette camouflage blades which I think were made around the WWII era.

Oh, he's already got himself some vintage stainless blades ;)
Next thing, is to convince him to try them :p

i dont know why but all of a sudden i seem to keep aquiring alot of vintage NOS blades. i think i may have found my nieche haha

Boy, I say Boy, that line starts behind myself and my good friend @borked.

Tap me at the meet, I will show you what a proper vintage blade can do. B man will bring a pack of Light Brigades also.

Boy, I say Boy, that line starts behind myself and my good friend @borked.

Tap me at the meet, I will show you what a proper vintage blade can do. B man will bring a pack of Light Brigades also.
Quite generous there with my stock mate :p
Will be bringing a second lot of Polsilvers so he actually tries them though :)

...can I interest you in some vintage blades? ;)

i need to find a display cabinet for them at the moment they are just locked away, i have a fair few now and the packaging is what i love and i want to show them off.

any suggestions?

i need to find a display cabinet for them at the moment they are just locked away, i have a fair few now and the packaging is what i love and i want to show them off.

any suggestions?
Gillette counter tip display case?

any suggestions?

There is a collector of blade here in Canberra I've met up with and he has some in albums and other framed on the walls. The ones on the walls are in A4 frames from stationery suppliers or BigW or wherever with a sheet of 'magnetic paper' glued to the backing board, something like this, the sort of stuff you see on fridge magnets.

He was then able to arrange the blades as he wanted in the frame