vintage gillette NOS blades

There is a collector of blade here in Canberra I've met up with and he has some in albums and other framed on the walls. The ones on the walls are in A4 frames from stationery suppliers or BigW or wherever with a sheet of 'magnetic paper' glued to the backing board, something like this, the sort of stuff you see on fridge magnets.

He was then able to arrange the blades as he wanted in the frame

mate that's perfect! especially for the loose single blades I have that I want to display. the packeted ones I think I'll put them in the glass display cabinet scattered in between my razors that I have on display.

cheers mate!

mate that's perfect! especially for the loose single blades I have that I want to display. the packeted ones I think I'll put them in the glass display cabinet scattered in between my razors that I have on display.

cheers mate!

I wish I could take credit - I'm just the messenger though!

Hope it works

it arrives with a little extra surprise for me.
what do you think @Monsta_AU @borked

20170227_173129.jpg
20170227_173102.jpg

I began shaving in 1961 and used the original carbon steel Blue Blades with a new Gillette Super Speed with the blue tip. The Super Speed's sold for around $1.50 and were widely available in racks in nearly all drug stores, super markets and so on. This was just before the first Gillette stainless blades became available. I remember the Gillette Thin DE blades in the red and black packs but do not recall ever seeing a blade resembling the one in the photo. My guess is these are a carbon steel blade and likely manufactured earlier than 1950. I say this because my dad always used Gillette blades (including during the 50's), and I cannot recall ever seeing a blade packaged like the one shown in the photo. Based on the colors of the wrap, it could very well be a military-issued WWII blade.

The Gillettes look like the 1944 blades shown on Achim's site -

1944%20(O3)%20Gillette%20Blade.jpg

Like razors themselves the blades often had date codes.

These were probably either made by Gillette under contract to the military OR made by Gillette to appeal to soldiers to buy. They made razor sets for examples both under contract and targeted to soldiers wanting to buy their own kit.