Vintage Travelling Blade reviews: Schick Plus Platinum

A few people said the same thing in relation to the blades in the PIF - I know I had trouble with the dispenser :mad:

From memory when the PIF landed in Perth most of the dispensers were damaged, so that explains that. If this is anything to go on it's not a fault in the dispenser but it's the blades refusing to come out.

Hmm, havent opened my pack yet. I had trouble getting in to the personas and the spoilers though, so I wouldn't be surprised if I find these challenging too :p

Have used this much vaunted blade a few times and shockingly I haven't found it that great based on 2-3 uses. I think I've tried it in a couple of different razors and it was pretty average for me at best. I've been really surprised as there was very good feedback on this from most folks so I'll swing it around a lil more and see how it goes.

Well, that just makes no sense at all. That was one of the very few unobtanium blades that lived up to the hype as far as I was concerned. If I could track down enough of them I'd shave with nothing else, if only for the fact that you can get ten shaves out of each.

Had the blade form the PiF loaded in my 34C for three days...let's just say I'm a bit more whiskered up than I anticipated before trying this blade. Will have a crack tonight and post some thoughts in the morning.

Hope you like it! Thanks to a cunning plan that Mark and I devised there will be some more landing on our shores. A few more Shick junkies would be good!

Hope you like it! Thanks to a cunning plan that Mark and I devised there will be some more landing on our shores. A few more Shick junkies would be good!

LOL - 'cunning plan' !!!!

Last edited:
As nobody appears to be interested in the details of my cunning plan, it involved using Mark's legendary e-bay skills to put a winning bid on 200 Shick Plus Platinum blades. What's so cunning about that you ask? Well it took me two days to actually formulate a search which didn't result in 10 pages of vintage blade wrappers (yes, out there is an enormous community of freaks that collect DE blade wrappers....believe it or not), and my latest attempt at sniping resulted in no bid on an item I wanted and the sniping software I found out was effectively disfunctional. I thought my plan was cunning and it resulted in a load more of the best DE blades I've ever tried landing in Australia. Whooppeee. There might be a few left over for youze lot too!

Alright well I'm three shaves into this bad boy in the HD!

Man it's been great, very smooth. Obviously my technique has improved as this time feel much better than it was in the original review.

A lot smoother and way less nicks/weepers. Now to push this beast as far as it will go!

Tried these for the first time tonight.
I couldn't get one out of the packet without breaking the dispenser apart then when I did I thought 'Wow these blades are far thicker than currently produced ones'

Just before putting blade to face I rechecked and realised they were so much thicker because there were two of them. So before I tried my version of The Thomas Method 2 and sliced my face to ribbons I quickly removed one of the blades.

I haven't shaved for almost a week but other than that I did my usual shave. Cold water, in the shower, with no mirror, fs brush, ej89, and original green proraso.

Struggled a bit on the first pass. It really felt like it was having a problem mowing down the extra growth. I ended up doing a 3 pass shave with a few touch ups which is a lot more effort than I usually manage.

Came out with a decent enough shave but still have to withhold judgement until I have tried a few more normal shaves.

First impression is very favourable on this one. Hopefully it holds up better than the vintage personna did.

Not sure what two blades in the razor would have done Eggy but the potential for bloodshed would be high I would think. Lucky save!

........I haven't shaved for almost a week...........

What's the matter with people! You just got married too. Surely your better half doesn't want you looking like a heathen with all those "look we just got married and we're as happy as hell" pictures getting posted on all sorts of social media sites.

Cold water, shower, no mirror...sounds more like instructions out of an SAS survival manual.

Chick dig the facial fuzz these days apparently PJ.

Makes them think their partner is more masculine while they wait for the RAC to show up and change a flat tyre because metro-man has NFI or inclination to ruin his pointy toed shoes.

[/stereotyperant] :laugh::laugh:

What's the matter with people! You just got married too. Surely your better half doesn't want you looking like a heathen with all those "look we just got married and we're as happy as hell" pictures getting posted on all sorts of social media sites.

Cold water, shower, no mirror...sounds more like instructions out of an SAS survival manual.

Darwin is hot. Darwin is hot and humid. Darwin is flat and hot and humid. Darwin is flat and hot and humid, and really hasn't had much of a wet season this year.

You generally don't need the hot water to open up your pores as the humidity has already done that.

I had a shower when I got home from work last night. The water that came out of the cold tap was hotter than I would ever choose to have a shower!

Anyway why do you need a mirror, to put on your lippy after you have finished shaving?

... Anyway why do you need a mirror, to put on your lippy after you have finished shaving?

This has to be the quote of the week!

I'm very disturbed Eggy. Your lippy comment made me think of this!

[video=youtube;ydXNfifKQU0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydXNfifKQU0[/video]

Potentially NSFW depending on your policies.

I'm very disturbed Eggy. Your lippy comment made me think of this!

[video=youtube;ydXNfifKQU0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydXNfifKQU0[/video]

Potentially NSFW depending on your policies.

I don't remember that scene from the movie at all.

However that is now how I am choosing to imagine Pjotr looks.

And I am feeling disturbed.