Visit to the barber.

pvsampson

After using the Parker 34R I recently acquired I have been spending a fair bit of time checking out straights online.I have taken a liking to the Dovo,(fake) Pearl handle 98 5810.Just f*cken gorgeous.Due to life being what it is for me,which is pretty good BTW,finances at this time dictate that myself and a nice new Dovo 98 5810 will not be meeting for some months. I had to go to town yesterday,so before picking the kids up from school I wet to every Op Shop there is in the place.Six of them actually. I asked if they ever got any old razors in either DE or straights and the general answer was rarely. One elderly lady though said she had a couple of DE's at home and she would bring them in "next week". So will definitely be back to see her.
So,no razors to be had.I thought to check out the only barber in town,but the shop was closed.All good. Went back in today,got talking asking if she knew anyone or anywhere I could find an old straight."Not really.I have these but most were gifts and I don't wish to part with them." She grabbed 4 straights down from a shelf.A beautiful horn handle 6/8 Bengall,immaculate condition,an old Gotto with blade in excellent condition but broken scale,(given to her by an old monk,she said) and another that I didn't get a very good look at.Then opened up this rusted over blade and handed it to me saying "It's yours.Clean it up and see what you can do with it".
Many thanks,big smiles and a handshake later I left with this...
hSprWY1l.jpg

akysuLQl.jpg

Training night tonight so was busy,got the girls off to bed and got the vinegar and steel wool out.Then some 400 and 1000 grit wet and dry,and have discovered I now own a George Butler & co. "Butler's MARVEL" 11/16
ezy6T8al.jpg

EXmyBxBl.jpg

Blade cleaned up pretty well considering condition,fair bit of patina but it's sound and edge has no serious damage,it will need a bevel reset and good hone and will be right.I could get it cleaner on my lapidary wheels but not real keen to do that.I'll get one of my camera bodies and macro lens out tomorrow to get some decent shots.
No,it's not a new shiny Dovo,but it's my first real straight.

Beautiful razor!
There is something to be said for a vintage straight over a modern I recon, though both are nice.

Gave it a bit of a polish this morning,decided to use the lapidary gear. Hard to see how shiny it is because of cloud reflection on the blade (phone pic)
Took a few scratches out of the scales as well and smelled like horn (y) ,gave it a hone and stropped on some newspaper.Very happy with the result.

00jV3mol.jpg

Took it to show the barber and she was impressed.So much that she asked if I could clean up a couple for her. A 7/8 Bengall in pretty good nick with some stains more than rust,hinge end of one scale broken off and a Gotta that has a fair bit of rust and a slight frown,handle has some white paint on one pin.Pretty sure that is 3/8 and will measure when I get home this evening.

Hope you bartered with her for a free haircut with each cleanup!
Took them back to her today and she actually did offer me a free cut.I declined,she gave me a straight razor just because she wanted too.I was happy to clean the others for her.The Bengall had a bad rust spot on the heel edge which chipped off whilst cleaning so I had to reprofile it,it is sharp but the bevel is not correct.
After chatting,she wants the Bengall rescaled and shave ready so I asked her to let me know when and I will refer her to @Substance.

thanks @pvsampson
I love reading post & seeing a reference to me, before I have realized there is a notification for also LOL
great clean up mate
just a note for any blade with corrosion, I recommend you always do a bevel set "check" first, to ensure the edge steel is going to be there after the effort goes into cleaning it up,
the scales look like Bakelite, so try Autosol or Meguiars chrome polish as it will also clean up the scales as well as the blade

thanks @pvsampson
I love reading post & seeing a reference to me, before I have realized there is a notification for also LOL
great clean up mate
just a note for any blade with corrosion, I recommend you always do a bevel set "check" first, to ensure the edge steel is going to be there after the effort goes into cleaning it up,
the scales look like Bakelite, so try Autosol or Meguiars chrome polish as it will also clean up the scales as well as the blade
Thanks,any advice welcomed. I used Lapsa on the Gotta I cleaned yesterday,it's a rouge for final stone polish.Tin oxide for blades. With Lapsa,put a cloth bandaid on thumb (which was already there because of the Bengall),wet it and dip in the rouge and rub over the handle to polish,wipe with a piece of old tshirt and nice and shiny.

Last edited: