We are back online....

Monsta_AU

...can I interest you in some vintage blades?
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Grand Society
I apologise for the downtime, it seems that our upstream provider was sick of getting the spam reports from our server. As such I was required to take it down with no notice.

After working out what to do and getting a good backup of the VM, I moved it to one of my Microservers at home. Obviously the hardware and bandwidth is now pretty limited, so take it easy ok?

Hopefully I will be able to test the VM a bit more and see if there is any more issues with it. In the meantime I would love to see some feedback on speed etc.

Mate, what a nightmare this is being for you. :mad:

PM me your address so I can get those blades off to you when you have a chance too. My gift to say thanks for your work!

Yeah, speed is stuffed, but just take whatever time you need. ask people not to link or upload pics if it looks like taking a while.

Thanks for your efforts mate. As expected site is fairly slow, but we'll live.

It actually is running okay for me here at work as I post this but I am on the end of a 5/5 connection.

I was going to put it here on a box at work which my boss approved, but unfortunately the couple of older DL360G6's we have have been converted to Hyper-V and it is a pain to convert the VM just in case I go back to VMware in the future.

I have also had to throttle the bandwidth for the internal IP this sits on, basically as it was getting hammered by a couple of bots spidering the site. The Bing Bot and I also saw a couple of entries for the Google bot. There are a few other legit ones too, but a number non-legit ones I might try and block.

There's a few things I can do but we will let it rest a few days and see what happens. I might send the DB off for someone to review and check there's nothing inside it which might be a problem in the future.

Yeah, speed is stuffed, but just take whatever time you need. ask people not to link or upload pics if it looks like taking a while.
Images are fine - just host them elsewhere if you can and link them back. Videos usually play direct from Youtube anyway.

Just need to keep my local load to a minimum for a while. Can probably push the VM back to where it was in a week or so if I can prove it is clean.

Still not able to add photos. But that might be a chair rather than system problem.

Still not able to add photos. But that might be a chair rather than system problem.

You have to insert from a URL. You can no longer upload photos directly to the forums.

If you have the image on Imageshack or similar, you should be able to call the image from that location with the IMG BBcode tags like all other VB forums.

I'm getting random dropouts from the site.

For example, after reading a thread I click on New Posts and it fails to connect for ten minutes.

I get the normal Opps Google couldn't find your page.

I'm just glad we are back on at all. Must have been quite a worrying time for monsta if the provider was threatening to take down all the websites which they were hosting for him.

Seeing that the site was getting hit so frequently, and the risks involved I may well have just pulled the plug if it were me.

Thanks guys.

Down for a couple of hours today as the place needed to be reorganised. Got my new entertainment unit into position and the Microservers were on the old one.

Should be staying mostly online from now on.

Is this the new normal, are you not going to be able to host the site on host servers anymore? The speed is noticeably reduced.

Is this the new normal, are you not going to be able to host the site on host servers anymore? The speed is noticeably reduced.

It is very much going to depend on a few factors. Moving forward I do not want it hosted at home, but for the short-term foreseeable future I suspect it will be the case. It has more to do with my own available time and hopefully over the Christmas break I will be able to get a fresh server up and test a copy of the site. Hopefully that test shows that nothing further untowards is happening with the forum and I can then update the files and restore the DB from current, then move the site to live back where it was.

Outside of that, I am not sure what will happen.

As for speed, it will very much depend on exactly what is happening on my home internet connection. I have been able to reconfigure the setup to shape each internal IP except for this server to 80% of maximum bandwidth so there should be some overhead for the site to work within. I will continue to adjust it as time goes on. That said just loaded the site from work and it was relatively fast to bring up the reply page - I was quite surprised.