We are back online....

Just wanted to bring you all up to date with the situation as it stands.

Last night, I moved my personal blog back to the VPS. It seems much faster now, and was being hit pretty hard by comment spam so it was probably slowing things down quite a bit. I've updated it to the latest Wordpress version and plugins so it is back to normal.

Also, I looked at getting the DNS off my Microserver and back into the VPS properly. Part of this was to look at running a 'Hidden Master' DNS setup to capture the DNS traffic and put it onto some outside infrastructure. One less worry about DDoS attacks on DNS taking out access to the entire site. Unfortunately our colocation provider's firewall is stopping this from occurring right now, and I spent ALL NIGHT on it - yep I have not been to sleep yet. I did discover that I could push extra DNS servers from the Microserver so that is something. We now have the VPS, my home, plus an extra DNS server in Adelaide plus a US-based DNS server. Should provide some further speed benefits.

The next steps will be to run a clean install of vBulletin and migrate the database across. I will then need to copy all the user files over. Of course this will mean a site closure for a while as I will need to keep people from posting to the database during that time. I hope to give you some warning about that, but I will reduce the DNS TTL to a few minutes and then once it is ready I will cut it over and it should point at the new server in just a couple of minutes.

It's moved and back where it is supposed to be.

There are a few issues with it so far, I will wait and see what washes out. I am pretty sure there will be images missing, and likely that tapatalk is not working properly either.

Thanks mate. Smileys were broken but you will be very please to know that I have already fixed that crucial feature of the forums :eek:mg::cool::p

Thanks mate. Smileys were broken but you will be very please to know that I have already fixed that crucial feature of the forums :eek:mg::cool::p

Bugger. I was hoping no one would notice...

Another thing that's working since swapping back, is email notification of posts.

Yeah, it's not correctly though, it's just using PHP but I would prefer to bounce it it out via SMTP & Gmail instead. Will have to have a look at it.