Weekly Razor Review

Shield ACSE AC2 Ti (China)

I don’t mind trying something different and let me assure you, this one is different. I’ve let it be known on numerous occasions that dual sided razors are not my bag, so why on earth would I choose a razor that is not only dual sided, but this razor uses two different styles of blades. Shield have come up with a razor that uses an AC blade on one side and ½ DE blade on the other and I’m about to give it a try. In reality, it looks like the Stomper (1/2 DE blade) and their older Avenger (AC blade) that have been grafted together; I enjoyed both. I’m going to be the ‘Old Stick in the Mud’ my wife accuses me of being and use the blades one at a time but if you’re out for some real adventure in your shave, you might like to try the ACSE loaded with both blades at the same time. Shield’s machining has always been first class, and this razor is no exception, however without a blade fitted, the cap and plate want to stick together. It might be that those two large flats on the cap and the plate match perfectly and don’t want to separate. An interesting version of the nylon washer recess in the back of the plate is that it is machined to the shape of a shield. While the head is obviously longer than a DE bladed razor to accommodate the AC blade, it is roughly the same width as a DE razor. Both sides of the head are said to have a gap of 1.15 however the exposure differs; 0.12mm for the AC and 0.05mm for the ½ DE blade. This razor’s handle will offer plenty of grip but is let down in the looks department by the ends of the raised portions being squared off, they would look better if the corners were rounded or angled. As is normal with Shield razors the satin finish enhances the razor’s looks.

I’ve approached this review as two separate entities and will provide comment on each side of the head separately, I’ve been using AC bladed razors for the last few reviews so that is where I’ll start:

AC Blade – I was advised against using a Schick blade in the Shield AC Head Cerakote I tested recently so what better blade to use for this review. One lesson learnt from using the AC side of the ACDE is that I don’t require a combination of 1.15mm gap and 0.12mm blade exposure in a Shield razor. At Karve CB Level #D plus efficiency, blade exposure was on the high side of what I feel most comfortable using. There were no mishaps, but it was not pleasant shaving, however a close shave was never in doubt.

½ DE Blade – With its reduced blade exposure, the SE side felt much more civilised and delivered a very comfortable shave. Efficiency was still around the Karve CB Level #D but it was smooth as. Initially I was concerned about the un-bladed section of the razor, the ½ DE blade not being as wide as the AC blade, and how it was going to affect the shave; didn’t even notice it.

At no time during the review did I complete a stroke and not have the blade in contact with my face, but I am still not converted to dual sided razors or in this case dual format blades; give me a single sided SE or an equally sided DE razor any day but someone must like them otherwise Shield and other manufacturers would not bother making them. It’s been an interesting exercise but for my part I don’t think the idea of two different format blades in one razor is going to take over the world.

Blades Used – Schick and Leaf

Material – GR5 Titanium

Weight – 67.8g

Blade Tab - Enclosed

Head Width – 50.84mm

Handle Length – 90.03mm

Handle Diameter – 13.50mm

Availability – AliExpress

Final Word – Intriguing
A superbly detailed and very informative review @Errol. I'm a keep it simple bloke and even adjustable razors don't attract me, having said that this review has me intrigued about the dual header or the Two face titanium shaver. I love the freaky idea of two different blades. I think what sets Shield Razors apart from the rest besides their quality and finish is the fact that they push the boundaries of design and concept through experimentation.

I was not a fan of the original Shield Defender having its blade exposure cut down from .15 to .12 and then finally .5 but after use I understand how that just makes it a smooth and easy daily shaver even with a blade gap of 1.15.

Shield ACSE AC2 Ti (China)

I don’t mind trying something different and let me assure you, this one is different. I’ve let it be known on numerous occasions that dual sided razors are not my bag, so why on earth would I choose a razor that is not only dual sided, but this razor uses two different styles of blades. Shield have come up with a razor that uses an AC blade on one side and ½ DE blade on the other and I’m about to give it a try. In reality, it looks like the Stomper (1/2 DE blade) and their older Avenger (AC blade) that have been grafted together; I enjoyed both. I’m going to be the ‘Old Stick in the Mud’ my wife accuses me of being and use the blades one at a time but if you’re out for some real adventure in your shave, you might like to try the ACSE loaded with both blades at the same time. Shield’s machining has always been first class, and this razor is no exception, however without a blade fitted, the cap and plate want to stick together. It might be that those two large flats on the cap and the plate match perfectly and don’t want to separate. An interesting version of the nylon washer recess in the back of the plate is that it is machined to the shape of a shield. While the head is obviously longer than a DE bladed razor to accommodate the AC blade, it is roughly the same width as a DE razor. Both sides of the head are said to have a gap of 1.15 however the exposure differs; 0.12mm for the AC and 0.05mm for the ½ DE blade. This razor’s handle will offer plenty of grip but is let down in the looks department by the ends of the raised portions being squared off, they would look better if the corners were rounded or angled. As is normal with Shield razors the satin finish enhances the razor’s looks.

I’ve approached this review as two separate entities and will provide comment on each side of the head separately, I’ve been using AC bladed razors for the last few reviews so that is where I’ll start:

AC Blade – I was advised against using a Schick blade in the Shield AC Head Cerakote I tested recently so what better blade to use for this review. One lesson learnt from using the AC side of the ACDE is that I don’t require a combination of 1.15mm gap and 0.12mm blade exposure in a Shield razor. At Karve CB Level #D plus efficiency, blade exposure was on the high side of what I feel most comfortable using. There were no mishaps, but it was not pleasant shaving, however a close shave was never in doubt.

½ DE Blade – With its reduced blade exposure, the SE side felt much more civilised and delivered a very comfortable shave. Efficiency was still around the Karve CB Level #D but it was smooth as. Initially I was concerned about the un-bladed section of the razor, the ½ DE blade not being as wide as the AC blade, and how it was going to affect the shave; didn’t even notice it.

At no time during the review did I complete a stroke and not have the blade in contact with my face, but I am still not converted to dual sided razors or in this case dual format blades; give me a single sided SE or an equally sided DE razor any day but someone must like them otherwise Shield and other manufacturers would not bother making them. It’s been an interesting exercise but for my part I don’t think the idea of two different format blades in one razor is going to take over the world.

Blades Used – Schick and Leaf

Material – GR5 Titanium

Weight – 67.8g

Blade Tab - Enclosed

Head Width – 50.84mm

Handle Length – 90.03mm

Handle Diameter – 13.50mm

Final Word – Intriguing
Does not having a blade loaded on one side make a difference to how the cap sits?
I can see the use of having this set up and think I would potentially use both sides in a shave but it would be down the priority list of purchases so not sure I'd get to it.
Thanks for the review. :)

Does not having a blade loaded on one side make a difference to how the cap sits?
I can see the use of having this set up and think I would potentially use both sides in a shave but it would be down the priority list of purchases so not sure I'd get to it.
Thanks for the review. :)
@Pbgoose Shield's precision machining is good but not good enough to prevent the off side of the cap touching the plate when screwed down. I used each side of the head and never experienced any blade movement. If it was a concern a spacer could be quite simply inserted the take up the slack.

Oliworks Oliblade - Classic Steel (USA)

Machined in Arizona, the Oliblade looks very much like another well known Arizona made razor, the REX Ambassador. There was no mention of it at the release, but you can’t help but ponder the idea that there might be a tie up there somehow. It was later revealed that Oliworks machined the first Ambassador for REX, but the claim is that the Oliblade is a completely revised design. Personally I thought the first release of the REX Ambassador was a better razor to shave with than their later version so I’m hoping a bit of the mystique of the first version Ambassador does rub off. Let’s just hope that the springs they use are stainless steel and not the rust prone version that led to many warranty claims that plagued the original REX Ambassador.

Inspection time and it’s off to a good start for the Oliblade, the adjuster ring rotated very smoothly and that was even before I got to it with the rod oil. Etched around the neck of the razor are the setting numbers in an easy to read font, but the etched dot on the rotating ring is not so easy to pick up; suggest a deep engraved mark and paint it red. Undo the cap retaining screw and the cap won’t come off, pull on it, screw the retainer back in and push, the cap is stuck; in the end I used a knife blade to wedge it from the body. It is only the initial movement that is seized, once the joint is popped, the cap is free to be removed. To be fair, I only used the knife the first time to remove the cap but had to unscrew the retainer a small way and push on it to pop the cap even with a blade fitted, oiling did not assist, and the process continued until I completed the review. I was hoping Oliworks had not used thread locker on the handle and I would be able to disassemble the razor to check the spring and hope it rejected my magnet; it was thread locked in. Out with the magnet to see if I could detect anything; I was getting very low feelings of magnetism in places where there should not be any spring. Result – inconclusive. That pattern on the handle looked familiar so I checked it against the original REX Ambassador and its almost identical; it provided exceptional grip on the Ambassador, why change it? For the most part the finish is an eye pleasing satin that contrasts with some brighter machined surfaces, all up, a very presentable razor.

Oliworks have crafted the Oliblade as a nuggety little razor, but its weight contributed to its easy control. For the first shave I set the adjuster to level #4; around Karve CB Level #D efficiency and a small amount of positive blade; from level #4, the gaps between adjustments levels were evenly spaced in both directions with a noticeable increase in blade feel as the efficiency levels increased. Levels #3 and #6 were both very usable, but levels #4 and #5 were in my preferred area of operation; the shave at these settings was both comfortable and smooth. Oliworks have delivered a well performing razor for their first attempt so hopefully they have some interesting three piece and other format razors designs to supplement what they have started.

Adjustment Range – Dot - #1 - #6 - Dot

• #1 – Too mild for me
  • #2 – Karve CB Level #B
  • #3 – Karve CB Level #C
  • #4 – Karve CB Level D# - Small amount of blade feel
  • #5 – Not much over Karve CB Level #D - Pleasant amount of blade feel
  • #6 – More than Karve CB Level #D – Ample blade feel
Blades Used – Royal II and Gillette Silver Blue

Material –
304 Stainless Steel

Weight – 111.6g

Blade Tab – Covered

Head Width – 44.26mm

Handle Length – 80.89mm

Handle Diameter – 12.86mm

Availability – Oliworks

Final Word - Pleasant

Machined in Arizona, the Oliblade looks very much like another well known Arizona made razor, the REX Ambassador. There was no mention of it at the release, but you can’t help but ponder the idea that there might be a tie up there somehow. It was later revealed that Oliworks machined the first Ambassador for REX, but the claim is that the Oliblade is a completely revised design. Personally I thought the first release of the REX Ambassador was a better razor to shave with than their later version so I’m hoping a bit of the mystique of the first version Ambassador does rub off. Let’s just hope that the springs they use are stainless steel and not the rust prone version that led to many warranty claims that plagued the original REX Ambassador.

Inspection time and it’s off to a good start for the Oliblade, the adjuster ring rotated very smoothly and that was even before I got to it with the rod oil. Etched around the neck of the razor are the setting numbers in an easy to read font, but the etched dot on the rotating ring is not so easy to pick up; suggest a deep engraved mark and paint it red. Undo the cap retaining screw and the cap won’t come off, pull on it, screw the retainer back in and push, the cap is stuck; in the end I used a knife blade to wedge it from the body. It is only the initial movement that is seized, once the joint is popped, the cap is free to be removed. To be fair, I only used the knife the first time to remove the cap but had to unscrew the retainer a small way and push on it to pop the cap even with a blade fitted, oiling did not assist, and the process continued until I completed the review. I was hoping Oliworks had not used thread locker on the handle and I would be able to disassemble the razor to check the spring and hope it rejected my magnet; it was thread locked in. Out with the magnet to see if I could detect anything; I was getting very low feelings of magnetism in places where there should not be any spring. Result – inconclusive. That pattern on the handle looked familiar so I checked it against the original REX Ambassador and its almost identical; it provided exceptional grip on the Ambassador, why change it? For the most part the finish is an eye pleasing satin that contrasts with some brighter machined surfaces, all up, a very presentable razor.

Oliworks have crafted the Oliblade as a nuggety little razor, but its weight contributed to its easy control. For the first shave I set the adjuster to level #4; around Karve CB Level #D efficiency and a small amount of positive blade; from level #4, the gaps between adjustments levels were evenly spaced in both directions with a noticeable increase in blade feel as the efficiency levels increased. Levels #3 and #6 were both very usable, but levels #4 and #5 were in my preferred area of operation; the shave at these settings was both comfortable and smooth. Oliworks have delivered a well performing razor for their first attempt so hopefully they have some interesting three piece and other format razors designs to supplement what they have started.

• #1 – Too mild for me
  • #2 – Karve CB Level #B
  • #3 – Karve CB Level #C

Material –
304 Stainless Steel

Weight – 111.6g

Blade Tab – Covered

Head Width – 44.26mm

Handle Length – 80.89mm

Availability – Oliworks

Final Word - Pleasant
You read my mind @Errol. Just last night while I was reading about the Oliblade and it struck me that you definitely need to cover it. This is another terrific and detailed review. It is super to know that Oliworks have delivered a quality razor and one which is smooth in performance. The lads have sold out and are in the process of bringing out new products soon, like you I'm very keen on seeing what they come up with next.

Great read to start the weekend with mate.

Alpha Spirit SE (Hong Kong)

It’s advertised as being the lightest stainless steel SE razor available, I’d better check this claim out. Yes, it’s around 14g lighter than the Blackland Vector, the only other SE razor in that weight class is the Yaqi Romulus and the Spirit is 4g lighter. Both the plate and cap are exceptionally light, but it is the 47mm x 8mm hole in the end of the handle that has the biggest influence on the weight reduction of the Spirit. An 8mm hole in a handle that has an outside diameter of 11mm does not leave a very thick shell but on the Spirit it looks like it should be that way, with the added bonus being that the razor feels perfectly balanced. As I inspected the Spirit, I couldn’t help thinking that this razor reminds me of a surgical instrument; it has that same precision look, satin finish and looks like it was designed to do one specific job, and do it well. Alpha chose not to machine the sides off the blade post but positioned the blade post on top of the blade; at a quick glace you would never guess because the Alpha head looks so small. It took a detailed inspection of the surfaces of cap and plate to establish that they were not together when their final machining was done, exceptional quality control. A very feint line swirls around the length of the handle that is visually stimulating and should also provide positive grip. Continuing the surgical instrument theme, the razor and Alpha’s weight shedding measures, the front portion of the handle is trimmed right down, it looks more like a leather punch.

While it was not exactly unexpected, the Spirit SE delivered very comfortable shaves, time after time. Efficiency was slightly on the lower side of the Karve CB Level #D and Alpha have trimmed the blade feel but it remains positive and is in no way overpowering. These credentials lent themselves to providing a super smooth shave and the Spirit’s shave was as smooth as you’re likely to find anywhere. Because it delivered such impressive results while using the Schick blade, I slipped a Feather Professional Super in for the second blade; no hassle to the Spirit, there were no appreciable changes in performance; maybe a little more efficiency. With its weight trimmed to a minimum, the Spirit could be whizzed around with little fear of a calamity. To say I enjoyed using the Spirit is an understatement, this razor is exceptional, loved it.

Blades Used – Schick and Feather Professional Super

Material – 316L Stainless Steel

Weight – 62.1g

Blade Tab - Covered

Head Width – 51.02mm

Handle Length – 95.05mm

Handle Diameter – 10.99mm

Availability – Alpha Shaving

Final Word – Spirit of The Gods
I have two razors I've taken out of rotation and have permanent positions in the line up. This is one of them

Yaqi Ultima Adjustable Slope (China)

Yaqi have utilized their Ultima platform for adjustables featuring SB and OC heads, and with this razor, a slant. There is only a slight amount of twist in the head but I’m looking forward to trying this razor out, adjustable slants are still a rarity. Yaqi do not use thread locking during assembly therefore it is a simple procedure to strip the razor down to its basic components. Stripping the razor permits oil to be directed to the individual components exactly where it is required. Ah, what the hell, why can’t I rotate the adjuster? You guessed it, someone about my size had flipped the adjuster ring over during assembly and it was locked in position. When assembled correctly, everything worked to perfection. Yaqi can be credited for delivering a razor head with dimensions not much larger than those of a non-adjustable head; its thin cap assists in reducing the dimensions of the head allowing easy shaving in those tight spots like under the nose. Blade clamping is on broad surfaces at the very edge of the cap. Yaqi have machined a different pattern on each variation of the Ultima handle, this one has a multi groove spiral design that looks very pleasing. Except for the underside of the cap, the whole razor has a deep polished finish.

Not at any time during the inspection did I suspect that grip would be a problem with the Slope handle, the spiral grooves running the length of the handle are deep and their crests look well defined. To achieve the deep polish finish, Yaqi have over polished the spirals; add water and control was like catching the greasy pig, it was terrible. Starting out on setting #4, the efficiency was under Karve CB Level #D efficiency and so comfortable. I could have left the razor set on the #4 mark, enjoyed the blade feel, been very enthusiastic about the result and given it a top mark for its ability to deliver a great shave. But this is an adjustable and there are more settings to explore. I tried it several times and setting #5 always felt more comfortable than setting #4 so for the Ultima it’s setting #4 and #5 for me; the settings either side are very usable also. Yaqi has designed a great little shaving razor that is let down by the over exuberance of the polishing department; they have polished away too much grip on the handle.

Adjustment Range – Dot #1 - #6 dot

• #1– Nothing
  • #2 – Under Karve CB Level B efficiency
  • #3 –Karve CB Level #C efficiency
  • #4 – Under Karve CB Level #D efficiency - pleasant amount of blade feel
  • #5 – Karve CB Level #D efficiency - very usable and great blade feel
  • #6 - More than Karve CB Level #D efficiency - ample blade feel
Blades Used – Royal II and Gillette Platinum

Material – 316 Stainless Steel

Weight – 94.4g

Blade Tab – Covered

Head Width – 43.49mm

Handle Length – 80.27mm

Handle Diameter – 11.95mm

Final Word – Good if you can keep up with it

An eye opening read @Errol and a superbly detailed review. Always wondered how the Yaqi Ultima Slope Adjustable compared to the Home Like Shaving Elbrus or the Rex Konsul. If price point were to be factored in then Yaqi have got a winner on hand most times, having said that both the Yaqi and DSCosmetic handles often seem to suffer from over polishing.

Yaqi have also released another adjustable and they seem to be pushing towards the premium sector with the AVANTI. Will await your review on that one too Errol.

• #1 – Too mild for me
  • #2 – Karve CB Level #B
  • #3 – Karve CB Level #C

Material –
304 Stainless Steel

Weight – 111.6g

Blade Tab – Covered

Head Width – 44.26mm

Handle Length – 80.89mm

Availability – Oliworks

Final Word - Pleasant
I find the adjustment moves around a little while shaving. It's sealed so no way to check it. I've had it shift as much as 2 levels during a shave. It may be the way I am holding it. I try to hold it at the balance which is just behind the adjustment but old numb arthritic hands are not that reliable. (A little finger nail polish was required for the cog holding the adjustment dot for the old eyes as well).

Last edited:
Yaqi Ultima Adjustable Slope (China)

Yaqi have utilized their Ultima platform for adjustables featuring SB and OC heads, and with this razor, a slant. There is only a slight amount of twist in the head but I’m looking forward to trying this razor out, adjustable slants are still a rarity. Yaqi do not use thread locking during assembly therefore it is a simple procedure to strip the razor down to its basic components. Stripping the razor permits oil to be directed to the individual components exactly where it is required. Ah, what the hell, why can’t I rotate the adjuster? You guessed it, someone about my size had flipped the adjuster ring over during assembly and it was locked in position. When assembled correctly, everything worked to perfection. Yaqi can be credited for delivering a razor head with dimensions not much larger than those of a non-adjustable head; its thin cap assists in reducing the dimensions of the head allowing easy shaving in those tight spots like under the nose. Blade clamping is on broad surfaces at the very edge of the cap. Yaqi have machined a different pattern on each variation of the Ultima handle, this one has a multi groove spiral design that looks very pleasing. Except for the underside of the cap, the whole razor has a deep polished finish.

Not at any time during the inspection did I suspect that grip would be a problem with the Slope handle, the spiral grooves running the length of the handle are deep and their crests look well defined. To achieve the deep polish finish, Yaqi have over polished the spirals; add water and control was like catching the greasy pig, it was terrible. Starting out on setting #4, the efficiency was under Karve CB Level #D efficiency and so comfortable. I could have left the razor set on the #4 mark, enjoyed the blade feel, been very enthusiastic about the result and given it a top mark for its ability to deliver a great shave. But this is an adjustable and there are more settings to explore. I tried it several times and setting #5 always felt more comfortable than setting #4 so for the Ultima it’s setting #4 and #5 for me; the settings either side are very usable also. Yaqi has designed a great little shaving razor that is let down by the over exuberance of the polishing department; they have polished away too much grip on the handle.

Adjustment Range – Dot #1 - #6 dot

• #1– Nothing
  • #2 – Under Karve CB Level B efficiency
  • #3 –Karve CB Level #C efficiency
  • #4 – Under Karve CB Level #D efficiency - pleasant amount of blade feel
  • #5 – Karve CB Level #D efficiency - very usable and great blade feel
  • #6 - More than Karve CB Level #D efficiency - ample blade feel
Blades Used – Royal II and Gillette Platinum

Material – 316 Stainless Steel

Weight – 94.4g

Blade Tab – Covered

Head Width – 43.49mm

Handle Length – 80.27mm

Handle Diameter – 11.95mm

Final Word – Good if you can keep up with it
For context, my favorite slant is the Wunderbar; once I got it under control. I've been looking for an adjustable slant as I really like all my slants and like to use adjustable with different settings for different beard conditions and passes. I've found that the Elbrus matches the Wunderbar, followed by the Konsul, and then the Ultima. In fairness, I don't have as many shaves with the Ultima yet. Price point-wise (especially the "black-market" in Elbrus) the Yaqi is probably the better overall price performance (the beauty of sunk costs, I already have the other 2). I've just ordered the Torqx - it looks promising. Spot on with the over polishing - both Yaqi and DSCosmetic, though the satin like finish on the DSCosmetic brass razors is just about perfect.