Weekly Razor Review

Rocnel Sailor 2024 Master Collection Ti (Turkey)

A review of any 2024 Sailor Adjustable razor was not planned but that thought changed when Rocnel released a titanium version of the Sailor; then they made it available only in the Master Collection, so it was a Titanium Sailor from the 2024 Master Collection for Errol. In its transition from stainless steel to titanium, a massive 60g has been pared from the weigh and the dimensions have stayed pretty much the same; it now weighs in easily under the benchmark 100g. Rocnel have maintained their dual spring base plate format, therefore the head is deep. I’ve found previously that the deep head has little bearing on its ability to shave the tight spots as the cap is so thin. I knew there had to be an alignment mark on the handle, but I rotated that razor half a dozen times before the light caught the little anchor alignment mark; come on Rocnel, set the engraver a little deeper for those of us who can’t see as good as you. It may only be a small thing but the detent in the adjuster that assists in its retention in the handle is certainly appreciated and demonstrates Rocnel’s attention to detail. Other than the underside of the cap, everything has been polished on that Rolex polish machine, not highly polished but very appealing. One not so obvious change from the 2023 MC version is the machined pattern on the handle, it now looks like miniature chevrons along the length of the handle.

A combination of my requiring glasses to read, a reflection hiding the setting numbers on the adjuster and the cap being installed at 180° to where it should be led to some initial confusion. Rotate the cap ½ turn and the numbering on the adjuster aligned one whole lot better. Rocnel do not have cap/ plate aligning marks so if the adjuster numbers do not align, simply rotate the cap ½ turn. It is recommended by the connoisseurs of shaving that when using an adjustable razor for the first time one should commence at the lowest and mildest setting and work up through the aggression levels. I don’t remember ever using that technique, it won’t make any difference to the result, so what the hell, let’s give it a whirl. What’s this, setting #1 and it’s shaving, mild but useable; I completed one whole pass on setting #1 to prove that I could do it. Thinking back I remembered being able to shave on setting #1 with the 2023 MC so I checked the results; yes, I could shave right through the range of the 2023 MC Sailor. From setting #1 there was a steady increase in efficiency as the numbers increased with a corresponding increase in blade feel. Setting #5 was more than Karve CB Level #D efficiency but the shave was still very comfortable. If aggression rocks your boat, you can just keep unscrewing that adjuster; eventually the cap will fall out but somewhere along the line you might satisfy your aggression desire, good luck. Special mention and a big thank you to Mr Rocnel, the weight reduction achieved by machining this sailor from titanium makes this the best Sailor you have made so far; really enjoyed it.

Adjustment Range – Dot #1 - #5 dot
  • #1 – Mild but useable
  • #2 – Karve CB Level #B efficiency
  • #3 – Karve CB Level #C efficiency
  • #4 – Karve CB Level #D efficiency
  • #5 – More than Karve CB Level #D efficiency but very useable
Blades Used – Royal II and Gillette Minora

Material – Titanium

Weight – 82.6g

Blade Tab – Slightly exposed

Head Width – 41.93mm

Handle Length – 80.5mm

Handle Diameter – 13.88mm

Availability – Rocnel

Final Word – Could give up my gym membership, if I had one.