Weekly Razor Review

Tatara Masamune OC (Portugal)

Both a SB and an OC plate were supplied with the Masamune kit so after such fantastic results with the solid bar version, this week I’m again expecting amazing results from the open comb Masamune. Details for the rest of the razor remain the same as that described last week. A very quick summary; this razor is a very well made instrument with every part machined precisely and the fit and finish is superb.

For a change of pace, I’ve upped the ante with the Masamune OC and chose a Feather blade to kick off proceedings. I don’t know exactly what I was expecting but I was rewarded with one superbly smooth shave, up with the smoothest shaves I’ve ever experienced. If there was a difference between the OC and SB plates efficiency wise I could not detect it, still in that Karve CB #C plate range. Finishing off the last two shaves with a Gillette Platinum made no difference to the Masamune, it took that blade in its stride too. Blade feel is minimal but that never interfered with the Tatara delivering a close shave. Being mid aggressive and very nimble this razor can be thrown around with confidence. I’ve made a grave mistake in not using this razor since I purchased it; this is one highly recommended razor.

Blades Used – Feather and Gillette Platinum

Material – 303 Stainless Steel – Sand blasted finished

Blade Tab - Exposed

Weight – 86g

Head Width – 41.61mm

Handle Length – 86.9mm

Handle Diameter – 10.95mm

Availability - Tatara

Final Word – Very Rewarding
giphy.gif

@Mark1966 has done great job in providing an index for this rabble but one thing he has highlighted is how slack I've been in posting Errol's Top Shots. Anyhow this is my Top Shots as of today:

ERROL’S TOP SHOTS

Premium – RAW Shaving RS-10; Wolfman WR1 & WR2; Charcoal Goods Gen 1 & Gen 2; Seygus Zeppelin V2; Haircut and Shave NO75; Smart Helix Apollo & Apollo Light; Blackland Vector; Rocnel SE-50; Colonial General V2, Karve CB Stainless Steel, RazoRock Lupo, Tatara Masamune,

Classic Premium - Gillette Aristocrat 1951; Weber; Tradere Gen 2,

Really Good – Karve Christopher Bradley #D plate, brass; Blackland Dart; Ikon B1 slant; ATT Classic/ Windsor R1/ R2/ H1; Colonial General Stainless Steel V1; RazoRock Game Changer #.84 plate; Mongoose SS Gen 3;

Best Travel – Colonial General Stainless Steel Version 1

@Mark1966 has done great job in providing an index for this rabble but one thing he has highlighted is how slack I've been in posting Errol's Top Shots. Anyhow this is my Top Shots as of today:

ERROL’S TOP SHOTS

Premium – RAW Shaving RS-10; Wolfman WR1 & WR2; Charcoal Goods Gen 1 & Gen 2; Seygus Zeppelin V2; Haircut and Shave NO75; Smart Helix Apollo & Apollo Light; Blackland Vector; Rocnel SE-50; Colonial General V2, Karve CB Stainless Steel, RazoRock Lupo, Tatara Masamune,

Really Good – Karve Christopher Bradley #D plate, brass; Blackland Dart; Ikon B1 slant; ATT Classic/ Windsor R1/ R2/ H1; Colonial General Stainless Steel V1; RazoRock Game Changer #.84 plate; Mongoose SS Gen 3;

Hi Errol, just noticed I didn’t see a timeless listed at all have u reviewed one yet or do u not rate them?

ERROL’S TOP SHOTS

Index now updated to include :)

Seygus Zeppelin Titanium - 0.9 + 0.9mm (Spain)

When Jose from Seygus came back to me and offered to machine a 0.9 + 0.9mm titanium plate for the Zeppelin Ti, I had to debate long and hard if I wanted to risk the Zeppelin titanium 0.9 + 0.9mm plate because of the trouble I’d had with the 0.9 + 0.9mm plate on the stainless steel variant. For anyone unfamiliar with what I saying; when using the 0.9 + 0.9mm stainless steel variant, the razor was a very pleasant Karve CB level #D efficiency but would randomly remove sections of flesh. It wasn’t an easy decision but in the end I decided to try one because of my perceived theory about a lower efficiency level with the lighter titanium razors. Time will tell if I made a wise decision or not but at the end of the day if the Ti doesn’t work out there is no one forcing me to continue.

Seygus’s Zeppelin Titanium razors have not really lit a spark with the general shaving community and to be honest I’ve not seen them rate a mention anywhere but here and the Seygus website and even there its virtues are not being exploited. This is a very unusual occurrence because the release of a titanium razor usually sparks a large amount of interest and has the shaving community jumping with anticipation but not this time. Seygus use their unique cupped cap design for the Zeppelin Ti and offer a range of plates to satisfy most users with their preferred efficiency level. Many of the Seygus offered pates are dual efficiency but if you ask Seygus will machine a standard plate albeit flat on one edge and scalloped on the other. In use I have not been able to distinguish between the two different edges. Not being a big fan of dual efficiency plates I eventually ordered a 0.9 + 0.9mm plate to go with the 0.7 + 0.7mm plate I have previously reviewed. Everything about the Ti is first class, not a machine mark to be seen anywhere on the razor, fit is superb and the polished finish is exceptional. Just looking at a polished titanium razor is enough to smudge it; I was forever polishing off my clumsy finger prints.

I done my first stroke with the same zest I usually use with any razor and everything felt good so I carried on as though I didn’t know the Ti may bite. And I’ve got to say it didn’t put a foot wrong on the first shave or any other shave. Now I’m going to suggest that the efficiency level of this Zeppelin Ti is going to struggle to make Karve CB #C level; nowhere near the efficiency level #D of the stainless steel variant. No pressure was applied to the razor as I shaved, I just let it do its work and came away well rewarded. I don’t use titanium razors as much as I would like to so it took to the second shave to get accustomed to using the lighter weight. Once the lighter weight of the Ti becomes the normal it’s a magic razor to use. With that familiarization the smoothness improved to a point where it was considered to be good. There is no blade feel to speak of and this makes the Ti feel so very neutral. Every shave was close, not even a weeper so I have no hesitation in recommending the Seygus Zeppelin Ti 0.9 +0.9 mm to any perspective customer.

Blades Used – Gillette Nacet and Feather

Material – Titanium

Blade Tab – Covered

Weight – 62g

Head Width – 43.44mm

Handle Length – 95mm

Handle Diameter – 12mm

Availability – Seygus

Final Word – Very good

REX Envoy (USA)

If you’ve ever had anything to do with the REX Ambassador adjustable razor, one look at the Envoy with that stubby handle and its chunky head and the family resemblance is immediately familiar. On both sides of the plate faint machining marks are obvious but because these marks are large and circular they don’t really look out of place and blend in well with the satin finish on the razor. Two long lather channels are located on each edge of the plate. A raised portion on the blade side of the plate has a very narrow blade clamping surfaces at its very edge and there is a far amount of unsupported blade hanging out from under the cap. Now you’d better like that short stubby handle because REX have chosen to put a shoulder on its front end and inletted this into the back of the base plate leaving few options but to use the supplied handle. You may be able to use another handle with a narrow neck that screws into the inletted hole or a handle with a large flange to cover the hole but I never tried.

If there is a handle with more grip anywhere I’m yet to find it. Just picking the razor up you feel it bond to your fingers as the small, triangular protrusions on the handle perform their design function. Wet; no different. In the advertising blurb REX advise that the efficiency level is on par with setting #3 on the Ambassador adjustable. It’s good to have your favourite settings recorded and on checking I was pleased to see that for the Ambassador I used setting #3. Well, something has changed in the two years or so since the Ambassador was put through its paces. If there was an adjuster on the Envoy it would have been screwed down by at least one half of notch. I found that the Envoy provides a shave on the high side of Karve CB #D plate efficiency. There is positive blade feel and REX has done a mighty good job to make the Envoy reasonably smooth to shave with. I’m now looking forward to again using the Ambassador sometime in the future.

Blades Used – Kai and Gillette 7 O’Clock Green

Material –Stainless Steel

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 107g

Head Width – 44.28mm

Handle Length – 77.23mm

Handle Diameter – 13mm

Availability – Razor Emporium

Final Word – Very capable

Wonderful reviews @Errol - thank you (y)

Always look forward to your wonderful reviews @Errol.
Many thanks. (y)

Tatara Masamune Nodachi (Portugal)

About 18 months after the first Tatara Masamume razor was released a revised version hit the market. Called the Masamune Nodachi, this razor has a longer handle with an increased diameter and a modified profile plus a more aggressive plate. Importantly the post on the cap is longer than the original Masamune and no longer are users compelled to use the Tatra manufactured handle; many aftermarket handles can be utilized. Having said that, the centre hole in the plate is still drilled to take the shoulder on the supplied handle and if using an aftermarket handle there is a small amount of movement between parts till the handle is secure. There was no alignment issues as the elongated blade posts on the cap mated perfectly into their slot. Compared with the original cap the width has been reduced from 18.9mm to 18.67mm. As all parts are interchangeable with the original released Masamune razor the user can swap parts around till they find a happy medium, the options are numerous. For this review I’m using the Nodachi as supplied and will leave the swapping of parts till sometime in the future.

What a fantastic razor? Maneuverability – good, but hampered a little by the long handle; Smooth – without doubt; Blade feel – certainly, not overly done but enough to let you know there is positive blade feel; Close shave– of course; Efficiency – just under a Karve CB level #D. For my tastes this razor ticks all the boxes but I did find one part I’d like changed, the handle. It’s simple, looks good and is very European in style and appearance; the increased diameter of the handle is appreciated, the area void of dimples does not affect grip in any way but the handle needs to be 15/20mm shorter. I’m actually thinking that I’d like to purchase another Nodachi handle and lop a bit off the end. For mine I do not need to go swapping the head parts around to find the optimum, the Nodachi delivers.

Did I mention how good this razor is?

Blades Used – Gillette Silver Blue & PolSilver
Material – 303 Stainless Steel – Matt
Blade Tab - Exposed
Weight – 122g
Head Width – 41.44mm
Handle Length – 105mm
Handle Diameter – 12.43mm
Availability - Tatara
Final Word – One of the best

Hi @Errol,

Between the Smart Helix Apollo and Charcoal Goods SS Lvl2/Lvl1, which of these is closer in smoothness to the Tatara Masamune. I value smoothness over aggressiveness. I’ll probably end up getting both eventually, but which one first?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Comparing these three smoothness wise is like comparing a top of the range Mercedes Benz, BMW, with an Audi. All very good, all expensive, all deliver in their various ways and do everything right, personal preference. The Smart Helix mild plate is probably the closest efficiency wise to the Masamune, the CG #2 is higher and I find the CG #1 to be milder. @Nico has both the Smart Helix and the CG so his advice would also be welcome. What ever way you choose you’ll be on a winner.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Smart Helix mild plate and the CG #2 are exceptional shavers. I find the shave with CG#2 just that bit more comfortable and smoother. Guess the old saying YMMV is true.
So the solution to your problem is buy both ;)

Yintal DE (China)

Let’s see what sort of a razor the Chinese have come up with when they have supposedly designed, manufactured and distributed this razor on their own. The razor is said to be brass but for reasons that I cannot work out, the razor has been bronze electroplated. Brass and bronze are certainly different metals but for shaving purposes any advantage of bronze over brass would be minimal. With a green tinge to the finish the whole razor has been given a clear lacquering; it doesn’t look too bad new but what it will look like when that clear finish gets a few knocks and starts to deteriorate? There is a slight roughness if you run your finger along the edges of the cap but in use the edge section is tight against the blade so should never be an issue. Overall, the fit and finish of the Yintal is quite good and it appears well made so it’s time to put a blade in and let the razor speak for itself.

If you’re like me you’re not going to expect much from a razor costing less than $25. Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! I was simply blown away by the delivered shave. Smooth, I cannot remember when I’ve had a shave that was soooo smooth and as for being close this razor more than ticked that box too. The efficiency is somewhere on the high side of Karve CB level #C which for me is nigh on perfection. Blade feel was neutral but the razor operated without any pressure being applied, just let the razor do the work and it certainly done that. A long handle went against the Yintal as far as maneuverability went but it would be an easy task to cut 10 or 15mm off the end and no one is going to complain that you’ve modified a $25 razor. This razor simply outperforms many big-name razors costing 10+ times more. I could comfortably continue on using this razor as it provided some of the best shaves I’ve ever experienced, it’s that good. Try one, it won’t break the bank.

Blades Used – Gillette Silver Blue and Feather
Material – Brass
Blade Tab - Exposed
Weight – 111g
Head Width – 40.8mm
Handle Length – 100mm
Handle Diameter – 11.84mm
Availability – Ali Express
Final Word – Delivers well above its price range

Yintal DE (China)

Let’s see what sort of a razor the Chinese have come up with when they have supposedly designed, manufactured and distributed this razor on their own. The razor is said to be brass but for reasons that I cannot work out, the razor has been bronze electroplated. Brass and bronze are certainly different metals but for shaving purposes any advantage of bronze over brass would be minimal. With a green tinge to the finish the whole razor has been given a clear lacquering; it doesn’t look too bad new but what it will look like when that clear finish gets a few knocks and starts to deteriorate? There is a slight roughness if you run your finger along the edges of the cap but in use the edge section is tight against the blade so should never be an issue. Overall, the fit and finish of the Yintal is quite good and it appears well made so it’s time to put a blade in and let the razor speak for itself.

If you’re like me you’re not going to expect much from a razor costing less than $25. Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! I was simply blown away by the delivered shave. Smooth, I cannot remember when I’ve had a shave that was soooo smooth and as for being close this razor more than ticked that box too. The efficiency is somewhere on the high side of Karve CB level #C which for me is nigh on perfection. Blade feel was neutral but the razor operated without any pressure being applied, just let the razor do the work and it certainly done that. A long handle went against the Yintal as far as maneuverability went but it would be an easy task to cut 10 or 15mm off the end and no one is going to complain that you’ve modified a $25 razor. This razor simply outperforms many big-name razors costing 10+ times more. I could comfortably continue on using this razor as it provided some of the best shaves I’ve ever experienced, it’s that good. Try one, it won’t break the bank.

Blades Used – Gillette Silver Blue and Feather
Material – Brass
Blade Tab - Exposed
Weight – 111g
Head Width – 40.8mm
Handle Length – 100mm
Handle Diameter – 11.84mm
Availability – Ali Express
Final Word – Delivers well above its price range

Ordered. Might be a good giveaway razor for a newbie. (y)