Weekly Razor Review

I haven't bought the Pearl due to the stated issue but to be fair, those who didn't have the spring issue have given feedback that the flexi is an amazing shaver.

Once v3 or even v4 release, I may pick one up. But right at the moment, it's too much risk.

Rocnel Sailor S Adjustable 2020 (Turkey)

As a kid I remember getting these shoe box size presents and inside was something like a Matchbox car; tons and tons of paper to get to the car - but I did like my Matchbox cars. Opening the Rocnel packaging was a very similar experience. Inside the plastic postage bag was another plastic bag, some bubble wrap, a quality sealed plastic container taped in every direction, a heap of bubble wrap, another plastic bag, more bubble wrap, a heavy wooden presentation box, more bubble wrap, and eventually I got to the razor in not one but two zip tie plastic bags. It was never going to get damaged in transit. It seems I’ve been incorrectly naming the Rocnel Sailor Adjustable series of razors; they are simply named by the year they were manufactured starting in 2017; this is the fourth generation Sailor, simply identified as a 2020 version. I won’t lose too much sleep over my slip up.

If I was ever to design a razor, the weight I would be aiming for in a stainless steel razor would be around the 100g mark. It’s an achievable weight, comfortable and the razor is allowed to do the work. Rocnel have blown my theory out the window with a weight for the 2020 Sailor S of 182g. This is up almost 40g on their previous Sailor and I thought that was heavy; I’ll have to start weight training if the next Sailor release goes up another 40g. Rocnel themselves processed the international distribution of the 2020 Sailor S and from my prospective they done a very good job and were a pleasure to deal with. It has become a Rocnel tradition to use a two spring, two piece plate base in their adjustable Sailor series of razors and the 2020 version continues that tradition. When I first checked that the springs were exerting equal pressure, I was really not surprised to see one end of the plate cocked up; out with the rod oil for a lube session; a few squeezes; issue disappeared. The bottom plates are thick, in fact the whole head is thick; this is where the additional weight has materialized from. It’s a lightly machined diamond pattern that adorns both the handle and the adjusting knob, positive feel with no complaints from me. There is a gold ring incorporated at the front of the adjusting knob that sets the razor apart. Engraved on the gold ring, if you can see them, are the efficiency settings; the five positions engraved in Roman Numerals and a dot. Due to the shallow engraving on all parts of the razor, it was difficult for me to read even with my reading glasses on. Set into the base of the handle is a small gold minted decoration that really is a touch of class making the 2020 Sailor more a work of art than a shaving tool. Machining marks are present under the cap but the remainder of the razor is completed in a high quality, verging on polished, satin finish.

I knew before I started the shave that I would not be able to see the lightly engraved setting numbers on the adjusting ring so I deliberately took my reading glasses along for each shave; a real pain having to put glasses on and off during the shave I can tell you. There are six adjustment positions; #I to #V plus dot, but the dot position could be used before the #1 or after the #V position; seven positions; I did not get to the dot in either direction. In fact, the opening adjustment on the knob is about another four full turns, so if aggressive is your choice, just jeep unscrewing that knob. Heavy, no doubt about it, this razor is heavy but somehow feels fairly well balanced. As previously noted, that head is bigggh, but the only place its size came into play was on the upstrokes on the neck; I did not experience difficulty under the nose however I can fully appreciate that others may. Rocnel have incorporate an amount of blade feel right through the range of adjustments used but at #IV, it was well and truly present; skin missing down the side of my face attest to blade exposure at level #V. The delivered shave was close and provided the adjuster wasn’t open past about level #IV, smooth. If ever a razor needs to be put on a starvation diet and loose about 50% of its weight, the Sailor is that razor. Rocnel’s Sailor S 2020 is just not my cup of tea; weight was probably a small contributing factor but I just never felt comfortable with the razor, and in the end, I was quite content to just pack it away.

Adjustment Range – #I through to #V and a dot
  • #I – Karve CB Level #C minus
  • #II – Karve CB Level #C
  • #III – Karve CB Level #C plus
  • #IV – Karve CB Level #D
  • #V – Karve CB Level #D plus
Blades Used – Ladas and Feather
Material – 316 Stainless Steel
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 182g
Head Width – 45.91mm
Handle Length – 82.16mm
Handle Diameter – 15.83mm
Availability – Out of Production
Final Word – Piece of art

Last edited by a moderator:
Lambda Ares OC (Greece)

Let’s wind the clock back to June last year, 8 June to be precise – There’s this machined bronze alloy razor from Lambda, a brand I’d never heard of, advertised on Etsy; my curiosity stimulated - good looks - machined – bronze – made in Greece – I don’t have a razor made in Greece – I’ll have one of them. In discussions with the seller, he revealed that he a new batch due in 2-3 weeks so I said I was happy to wait. Nearly six weeks on and I made contact again – only a few more days but he did offer to refund my money – I’ll wait. Wait I did; and as time went by, I came to the realisation that I’d probably done my dough and that would be the end of my first Greek razor. Low and behold, early January and I received an email asking for my shipping details, my patience had paid off. Don’t ask me where to get your hands on a Lambda; I simply don’t know. They are not for sale on Etsy but it was mentioned that a web site was under construction.

Lambda’s Ares OC razor is the creation of a Greek mechanical design engineer who decided to design and build his own razor. Even before the razor was sighted, it was the CNC machine mahogany presentation box that attracted my admiration; it’s functional and a work of art itself. Lambda’s Ares is machined out of bronze, not as common in razors as you’d think but a metal that has been successfully used before in razor production. There are differences to the razor shown in the Etsy advertisement so I’d assume that photo is of a pre-production razor. What I’ll call the pre-production razor had an overlay effect on the cap whereas the production model has a smooth cap; the overlay effect cap certainly looked good but it would be both difficult and expensive to machine. Clamping of the blade is at the outer extremity of the cap and it is also the main contributor in forcing a tight curvature to the blade. Blade location is via two round pins on the cap. Cut outs for the open comb are both deep and wide with the resultant teeth quite narrow and the edge of the plate appears to curve back under itself further than what would be expected. Tall, sculptured columns were a feature of state buildings in ancient Greece; stand the handle on its end and its longitudinal grooves are said to imitate the design of a one of these columns. Yes, I can see that, but I also can visualise the same thing if I stand a Blackbird handle on its end. The razor itself has been hand polished to the most impressing finish however the underside of the cap retains its machining marks. A Greek letter (λ), the symbol of Lambda is proudly presented on a satin section on the ends of the plate. Just to demonstrate its true quality, the handle thread engagement would be as smooth as the best razors I’ve used, plus the Lambda has a decent length of thread.

A razor as well presented as the Ares deserves to be used. With an efficiency just below that of a Karve CB Level #D and an amount of positive blade feel the Ares done an outstanding job, and done it easily. The shave itself was extremely close and for the amount of blade exposure, smooth, but as I suspected, the narrow teeth can be felt while shaving however the polish job had taken off any sharp edges; not uncomfortable. Even with the relatively thin handle I never experienced too much difficulty with grip, those longitudinal handle grooves do a good job in that respect. Theodoros is to be commended on the razor he has delivered here and I hope he can now get on with the manufacture and sale of a lot more razors. I’m now looking forward to the release of a safety bar version but suspect I’ll have time to do a lot more reviews before its release if my waiting time on this Ares is anything to go on. Keep your eyes open for the release of this one, it’s good.

Blades Used – Gillette Super Stainless and Kai
Material – Bronze alloy
Blade Tab - Exposed
Weight – 78g
Head Width – 41.96mm
Handle Length – 83.9mm
Handle Diameter – 10.29mm
Availability – ?????
Final Word – Worth the wait

Lambda Ares OC (Greece)

Let’s wind the clock back to June last year, 8 June to be precise – There’s this machined bronze alloy razor from Lambda, a brand I’d never heard of, advertised on Etsy; my curiosity stimulated - good looks - machined – bronze – made in Greece – I don’t have a razor made in Greece – I’ll have one of them. In discussions with the seller, he revealed that he a new batch due in 2-3 weeks so I said I was happy to wait. Nearly six weeks on and I made contact again – only a few more days but he did offer to refund my money – I’ll wait. Wait I did; and as time went by, I came to the realisation that I’d probably done my dough and that would be the end of my first Greek razor. Low and behold, early January and I received an email asking for my shipping details, my patience had paid off. Don’t ask me where to get your hands on a Lambda; I simply don’t know. They are not for sale on Etsy but it was mentioned that a web site was under construction.

Lambda’s Ares OC razor is the creation of a Greek mechanical design engineer who decided to design and build his own razor. Even before the razor was sighted, it was the CNC machine mahogany presentation box that attracted my admiration; it’s functional and a work of art itself. Lambda’s Ares is machined out of bronze, not as common in razors as you’d think but a metal that has been successfully used before in razor production. There are differences to the razor shown in the Etsy advertisement so I’d assume that photo is of a pre-production razor. What I’ll call the pre-production razor had an overlay effect on the cap whereas the production model has a smooth cap; the overlay effect cap certainly looked good but it would be both difficult and expensive to machine. Clamping of the blade is at the outer extremity of the cap and it is also the main contributor in forcing a tight curvature to the blade. Blade location is via two round pins on the cap. Cut outs for the open comb are both deep and wide with the resultant teeth quite narrow and the edge of the plate appears to curve back under itself further than what would be expected. Tall, sculptured columns were a feature of state buildings in ancient Greece; stand the handle on its end and its longitudinal grooves are said to imitate the design of a one of these columns. Yes, I can see that, but I also can visualise the same thing if I stand a Blackbird handle on its end. The razor itself has been hand polished to the most impressing finish however the underside of the cap retains its machining marks. A Greek letter (λ), the symbol of Lambda is proudly presented on a satin section on the ends of the plate. Just to demonstrate its true quality, the handle thread engagement would be as smooth as the best razors I’ve used, plus the Lambda has a decent length of thread.

A razor as well presented as the Ares deserves to be used. With an efficiency just below that of a Karve CB Level #D and an amount of positive blade feel the Ares done an outstanding job, and done it easily. The shave itself was extremely close and for the amount of blade exposure, smooth, but as I suspected, the narrow teeth can be felt while shaving however the polish job had taken off any sharp edges; not uncomfortable. Even with the relatively thin handle I never experienced too much difficulty with grip, those longitudinal handle grooves do a good job in that respect. Theodoros is to be commended on the razor he has delivered here and I hope he can now get on with the manufacture and sale of a lot more razors. I’m now looking forward to the release of a safety bar version but suspect I’ll have time to do a lot more reviews before its release if my waiting time on this Ares is anything to go on. Keep your eyes open for the release of this one, it’s good.

Material – Bronze alloy
Blade Tab - Exposed
Weight – 78g
Head Width – 41.96mm
Handle Length – 83.9mm
Availability – ?????

Included in the package was a letter that I’d like to share with you:

Lambda

14/01/2021

Dear Mr. Weber,

Thank you very much for purchasing the ‘Lambda Ares” shaving razor. I hope that the quality, the finish and the design of the razor, have satisfied you. The razor you hold in your hands is not a mass-produced industrial product, but a product that started as an idea which finally, after many months of effort and aided by my experience in the construction sector, became a reality. Even in a limited number of pieces. I also hope it meets your shaving needs. A great effort was made in the design part, long before the construction of the first protype began, in order to meet the following conditions:

• Machine very effective but at the same time forgiving and skin friendly.

• Zero blade chattering which usually ensures less irritation and “accidents”.

• Quite a large bend of the blade, which on the one hand gives rigidity to it and on the other hand allows the machine to be used with any angle of attack.

The razor is made entirely on CNC machines, which increases the manufacturing cost, but improves the accuracy and repeatability of its dimensions and tolerances. The construction material is a special bronze alloy (almost three times the cost of 316L stainless steel) that contains copper, aluminium, nickel and iron. It is a material used in marine applications and has high corrosion resistance. The polishing of the razor, of course, was done by hand and thus achieving this extraordinary result that resembles gold. The wooden case is also made on CNC machines from solid African mahogany (Khaya). It is very solid and hard wood with excellent dimensional stability and resistance to rot. The “hinges” are made of bronze, while foam fabrics have been placed at the contact points of the razor.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

Head weight: 30 gr Blade exposure: +0.06mm

Handle weight: 48.5 gr Blade gap: 0.31mm

Razor length: 90mm Blade angle: 33.1deg

Handle length: 84mm Clamp distance: 1.40mm

MAINTENANCE INSTRUCTIONS

We suggest the following steps to maintain the characterises and functionality of the “Lambda Area” safety razor:

• After each shave the razor should be disassembled, the blade removed and stored on its paper.
  • The individual parts of the shaver should be washed by hand using hand soap to remove any residue usually left by shaving soaps and creams.
  • Every part should then be rinsed thoroughly.
  • Next you should dry the parts very well with a soft towel so that no moisture or water stains remain on them.
  • Finally, the machine is reassembled and placed in its wooden case.

Following the above steps, the gloss of the razor will be maintained for a very long time. However, because the construction material of the machine is bronze (even of top quality), there is a case after many shaves to appear blur in some parts of the machine. This is a natural “defence” mechanism of the material, which by creates a surface “patina” ensuring the protection of the underlying material. However, because of aesthetic reasons, this is often unacceptable, we suggest the following: We take a small amount of toothpaste in our hand and mix it with a little water. After we have disassembled the machine, we apply and rub it by hand on the entire surface of the parts. Leave the components for 5-10 minutes and then rinse the parts with water to remove any toothpaste residue. The machine will regain the shine it originally had!

If the result of the above process is not satisfactory enough, the best solution is to return the machine to its original state and finish is to take it to a goldsmith, who at minimal cost will be able to professionally polish it and give it the perfect result.

Congratulations on the beautiful razor @Errol and of course thank you for the wonderful and very enabling review (y)

Lambda Ares OC (Greece)

Material – Bronze alloy
Blade Tab - Exposed
Weight – 78g
Head Width – 41.96mm
Handle Length – 83.9mm
Availability – ?????

Wonderful review, Errol. Could you please comment on the positive blade exposure in comparison to the Tatara Nodachi? Also, wondering if you have the recently released Stirling Soaps Stainless Razor headed your way? Thank you, kind sir.

Good question @mtpedals We are talking two totally different razors, the Nodachi is SB while the Ares is OC. Not only is the Ares OC but the teeth are thin and wide apart so blade feel is different from, say a Blackbird where there is more teeth and they are wider. Both have nice blade feel but I would say the Ares would have a little more.

Yes, a Stirling is headed my way.

Good question @mtpedals We are talking two totally different razors, the Nodachi is SB while the Ares is OC. Not only is the Ares OC but the teeth are thin and wide apart so blade feel is different from, say a Blackbird where there is more teeth and they are wider. Both have nice blade feel but I would say the Ares would have a little more.

Yes, a Stirling is headed my way.
Thanks so much, Errol. I think you will enjoy the Stirling. I ordered the standard plate and took a pass on the Hyper Aggressive. The Standard is nice but certainly has plenty of blade feel for me. Take care.

Pearl Flexi Adjustable – Second Release (India)

When I ordered the Pearl Flexi Adjustable 2nd Run, I did not expect to receive it so soon; it arrived last week so with memories of the first release still fresh in my mind, what better time to put it to the test. Pearl is not an expensive razor but they included another 110 Willy’s Premium blades, a shaving brush, a couple of soap samples and a key ring. I haven’t received that sort of enclosure for a long time. Less than three months after the first release, Pearl reacted to the negative feedback and released a second run of the Flexi Adjustable. Pearl is said to have engineered out the canting issue of the plate, modified the shape of the cap, engraved slightly smaller numbers on the adjuster, rearranged the gap between each setting and changed the plated finish slightly; these are big R&D changes in a short period and I can confirm that these changes have been made. Before doing anything else with this Flexi, you can be sure I tested for any sign of canting of the bottom plate as I rotated the adjuster ring through its range - perfection. Why Pearl did not do these checks when they released the first version and before they copped all that negative criticism, I’m at a loss to understand. Considering that the Flexi is an adjustable, what would Errol do next; a drop of oil here, a spot there and give the base plate a couple (maybe more) of squeezes.

As with the previous release, this Flexi is machined from brass and plated in a satin finish. Because the plating has such a perfect finish, it demonstrates the quality of the finishing process of the underlying brass chassis. A change to this release is a tighter radius on the top surface of the cap; in effect providing a thicker section at the centre of the cap, however the blade clamping section of the caps remains the same. Other than the changes previously noted the second version remains very similar to the first – two piece, knurled grip, quality machining, smooth mechanism.

On the 2nd Run Flexi the red alignment dot matched up perfectly on the #1 and the #6, another improvement. Now that Pearl has cured the alignment issue and incorporated other improvements changes, I was really looking forward to checking out the performance of the 2nd Run Flexi. Super smooth and close, the Pearl worked a treat and I was extremely impressed with the performance of this razor. Somehow, Pearl was able to achieve a sensible amount of blade feel at every efficiency level. Spacings between the settings have been spread out and the efficiency levels are displayed at differing values to the first release. I never had any requirement to drop below setting #2 - #5 felt really nice and all settings between #2 and #6 were very usable and closely spaced. All that stopped me called the first version of the Pearl Flexi Adjustable an outstanding razor was the thought in the back of my head that there could be an alignment issue; with alignment issues now engineered out, I’m calling the Pearl Flexi Adjustable 2nd Run outstanding. It’s good enough to be the best machined adjustable razor I’ve used.

Adjustment Range – #1 - #6 with dots between
  • #2 – Karve CB Level #B plus
  • #3 – Karve CB Level #C minus
  • #4 – Karve CB Level #C
  • #5 – Karve CB Level #D minus
  • #6 – Karve CB Level #D
Blades Used – Ladas and Glatz
Material – Brass
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 142g
Head Width – 44.03mm
Handle Length – 79.38mm
Handle Diameter – 13.93mm
Availability – Pearl
Final Word – Gotta love it

Pearl Flexi Adjustable – Second Release (India)

When I ordered the Pearl Flexi Adjustable 2nd Run, I did not expect to receive it so soon; it arrived last week so with memories of the first release still fresh in my mind, what better time to put it to the test. Pearl is not an expensive razor but they included another 110 Willy’s Premium blades, a shaving brush, a couple of soap samples and a key ring. I haven’t received that sort of enclosure for a long time. Less than three months after the first release, Pearl reacted to the negative feedback and released a second run of the Flexi Adjustable. Pearl is said to have engineered out the canting issue of the plate, modified the shape of the cap, engraved slightly smaller numbers on the adjuster, rearranged the gap between each setting and changed the plated finish slightly; these are big R&D changes in a short period and I can confirm that these changes have been made. Before doing anything else with this Flexi, you can be sure I tested for any sign of canting of the bottom plate as I rotated the adjuster ring through its range - perfection. Why Pearl did not do these checks when they released the first version and before they copped all that negative criticism, I’m at a loss to understand. Considering that the Flexi is an adjustable, what would Errol do next; a drop of oil here, a spot there and give the base plate a couple (maybe more) of squeezes.

As with the previous release, this Flexi is machined from brass and plated in a satin finish. Because the plating has such a perfect finish, it demonstrates the quality of the finishing process of the underlying brass chassis. A change to this release is a tighter radius on the top surface of the cap; in effect providing a thicker section at the centre of the cap, however the blade clamping section of the caps remains the same. Other than the changes previously noted the second version remains very similar to the first – two piece, knurled grip, quality machining, smooth mechanism.

On the 2nd Run Flexi the red alignment dot matched up perfectly on the #1 and the #6, another improvement. Now that Pearl has cured the alignment issue and incorporated other improvements changes, I was really looking forward to checking out the performance of the 2nd Run Flexi. Super smooth and close, the Pearl worked a treat and I was extremely impressed with the performance of this razor. Somehow, Pearl was able to achieve a sensible amount of blade feel at every efficiency level. Spacings between the settings have been spread out and the efficiency levels are displayed at differing values to the first release. I never had any requirement to drop below setting #2 - #5 felt really nice and all settings between #2 and #6 were very usable and closely spaced. All that stopped me called the first version of the Pearl Flexi Adjustable an outstanding razor was the thought in the back of my head that there could be an alignment issue; with alignment issues now engineered out, I’m calling the Pearl Flexi Adjustable 2nd Run outstanding. It’s good enough to be the best machined adjustable razor I’ve used.

Adjustment Range – #1 - #6 with dots between
  • #2 – Karve CB Level #B plus
  • #3 – Karve CB Level #C minus
  • #4 – Karve CB Level #C
  • #5 – Karve CB Level #D minus
  • #6 – Karve CB Level #D
Blades Used – Ladas and Glatz
Material – Brass
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 142g
Head Width – 44.03mm
Handle Length – 79.38mm
Handle Diameter – 13.93mm
Availability – Pearl
Final Word – Gotta love it

@Errol thanks for yet another highly informative and entertaining review. Not sure I agree with Pearl basically copying Matt's Rex but it must be good if you rate it so highly. Keep up the great work good sir! ;)

@Errol thanks for yet another highly informative and entertaining review. Not sure I agree with Pearl basically copying Matt's Rex but it must be good if you rate it so highly. Keep up the great work good sir! ;)

The aggression level as per Errol's review shows the Pearl flexi to be a milder razor overall compared to the Rex Ambassador.

The aggression level as per Errol's review shows the Pearl flexi to be a milder razor overall compared to the Rex Ambassador.
A long as its smooth on the higher settings than it would suit my needs as all the adjustable razors I've tried are way too harsh.
Still spewing that I passed on the original Homelike Taiga as by all accounts it shaves smooth even when using the OC head or higher settings. :(
The Karve D plate offers efficiency on par with my Rocca, CG L2, Apollo Aggressive plate so that's a positive but in no rush and a few other razors I'd like to try first next year. (y)

Photos (online) of the first version showed fairly rough machining esp down through the lather slots.
Are the new version 2 razors 'nicer' in their finish? (Asking for a friend)!
@Errol is the 'paint job' peeling on the side of that razors head? Looking closer at the photo and it seems like the finish is flaking off?

Photos (online) of the first version showed fairly rough machining esp down through the lather slots.
Are the new version 2 razors 'nicer' in their finish? (Asking for a friend)!
@Errol is the 'paint job' peeling on the side of that razors head? Looking closer at the photo and it seems like the finish is flaking off?

Thanks @Blackie I‘ve just dragged both Flexis out. The machining on both versions, including lather slots, is as good as you will see on any razor. As for the plating it is perfection and there is no defiantly no peeling. Hey @Blackie stop looking for excuses not to buy one because if you want a good adjustable, don‘t be put off, it‘s good.

Oh bugger...now I really will need to check one of these over.
I only have 1 adjustable now (my Black Beauty) so I really should have a spare adjustable shouldn't I?
Not that I've looked but only around the $105NZD area. That's not too bad.