What base plate for Karve Christopher Bradley

A note for people (most probably sole Rockwell users) getting a roughish shave from these, I started trying and lager angle (away from the face) and am now getting an amazing shave.

I agree.

After around 7 shaves on the D plate I have finally got the hang of it and have had smooth shaves twice in a row.

I don't have experience withany other razors which could be why it took me so long g to find the right angle.

I agree.

After around 7 shaves on the D plate, I have finally got the hang of it and have had smooth shaves twice in a row.

I don't have experience with any other razors which could be why it took me so long g to find the right angle.

That's why you've got to keep trying and used the D base plate, because, every base plate from A to F and AA plays a different role and angle during the shave. Same goes for Rockwell from R1 to R6 as well.

Cheers @SpeedyPC....I'm looking at getting a brass stand made for my Karve and need the dia but don't have a set of Verniers at hand....
I'm still looking for a brass stand too, having some trouble finding the right style stand, I'm looking for something similar to a Rockwell type stand in brass.

Just ordered the CB with the B plate - will it arrive in time for a Christmas morning shave?

Chris emailed me the dispatch notice on 6/10 and mine arrived on 22/10 - so the actual delivery time from dispatch was 16 days. You might receive yours by Christmas, but traditionally Australia Post slows down during the Christmas delivery peak.

Worth the wait - you’ll love it!

So excuse my ignorance...what sort of care is needed (if any) to keep a brass razor such as the Karve in great condition? How does it wear/tarnish over time and can the tarnishing be prevented from the outset or removed if started?

The Karve is an uncoated brass razor which is bead blasted. It is susceptible to both aging/darkening and water marks. The problem is the water marks. Some users wash then completely disassemble the razor after each use (way too much effort, for some, like me). I would just give the razor a hot water rinsing then a quick wipe over with a towel. Problem is that the water marks still appear well before the next day. I tried the suggestion of brushing the razor with toothpaste, but that didn’t solve it, so my solution is to polish it with Autosol. Makes it nice and shiney and gets rid of most of the brass smell.

That said, as soon as Chris releases the stainless steel version, I’ll jump on that.

The problem is the water marks.
Only from an appearance point, or can it affect the structural integrity (does brass corrode)?

Some users wash then completely disassemble the razor after each use (way too much effort, for some, like me).
Same :)

...my solution is to polish it with Autosol. Makes it nice and shiney and gets rid of most of the brass smell.
Does this stop it from ever getting water marks/tarnishing, or only a temporary solution?

Does this stop it from ever getting water marks/tarnishing, or only a temporary solution?

Polishing is permanent, in that it is no longer a blasted finish. The watermarks still occur but are faint and barely noticeable. Here’s a pic - the top cap is polished and there are still watermarks, but nothing compared to when it was the original blasted finish.

bf9xdPI.jpg