What base plate for Karve Christopher Bradley

Dustin L

So I've been looking at the CB for a while now and am getting close to being able to purchase one.
Hopefully before it becomes so popular that there is a wait list!

I'm curious to hear from anyone that has one and also has a Rockwell 6 S or C on plate comparisons.

I normally use plate 5 on my Rockwell and am not sure if I should get plate C or D on the CB.

Any info would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Lots of reading on other forums on this exact question. General consensus I found
B plate = #2 or 3
C plate = 4.5 (midway between 4 and 5)
D plate = 6

I went b and c as I prefer mild yet efficient daily drivers now (order in transit, took 8 days to ship). B is apparently similar to asd2 which will I hope will be nice on weekend easy shaves, and c for weekdays.

Thanks for that.

I'm shaving every second day at the moment and pretty much exclusively use the 5 plate on my Rockwell so I think I will go with the C plate.

I also use the 6 plate to shave my head once a week so am thinking of grabbing a D plate as well but considering whether or not I should try a E or F plate and see how that is.

Thanks for that.

I'm shaving every second day at the moment and pretty much exclusively use the 5 plate on my Rockwell so I think I will go with the C plate.

I also use the 6 plate to shave my head once a week so am thinking of grabbing a D plate as well but considering whether or not I should try a E or F plate and see how that is.
The ZZ plate will be amazeballs! ;)

... But seriously, this razor sounds great.
And I've never tried a brass razor.

I'm very confused about whether to get the C or D plate on the Karve razor...

I use the Rockwell R4 daily but if I could get a smoother feel, I'd use the R5 plate but I can't seem to go past R4 due to losing out on comfort.

From what everyone is saying about how smooth the karve is, I thought I'd go for the D plate but I definitely am confused of C would be better.

I have ultra sensitive skin but if the razor is smooth then I can get away with a slightly more aggressive setting.

R4 on Rockwell 6S, R5 on the Rockwell 6C and #3 on the merkur progress.

Whereas I can't even go past 6 on a slim/fatboy as they are not smooth/comfortable for me so I tend to get irritation easily (that's why none of the vintage razors suited me).

Based on the above, and your personal experience with the Karve, please help me decide on the right plate for me.

And yes, I'm going to be breaking my sabbatical because with the popularity of this razor, I can confidently say the price will increase by next year! :D

I originally ordered the razor with the C plate then decided to add a D plate. Guessing the C plate will be my daily driver and D for a few days growth.

What makes you think the price is going up?

Nothing specifically but seeing how this razor competes with others, I'm fairly confident they will increase their prices to be inline with the more premium razors out there, especially as their business has kinda boomed in recent weeks.

I originally ordered the razor with the C plate then decided to add a D plate. Guessing the C plate will be my daily driver and D for a few days growth.

Which razors/settings do you generally use on a regular basis?

Nothing specifically but seeing how this razor competes with others, I'm fairly confident they will increase their prices to be inline with the more premium razors out there, especially as their business has kinda boomed in recent weeks.

Which razors/settings do you generally use on a regular basis?
Rockwell 6s R4, Gillette Fatboy 4

Apparently the karve will be available at West Coast Shaving but whether this changes the price time will tell. I ordered a D plate in hope's that it shaves as smooth as the 6S plate R6 but as efficient as say my Timeless Bronze OC but without the blade feel...?

Mine with a D plate just cleared customs this morning.
Should be arriving Monday!

I hadn't heard anything since I placed my order on the 23rd of May so I emailed and within 2 days I heard back and they had upgraded my shipping to DHL Express.
I've been shaving daily for the last week or so with the R6 plate on my Rockwell with a Nacet blade.
I was surprised initially that for me, with a light touch, the R6 almost felt smoother than the R5.

Will post my feedback as soon as I get a chance to try it out.

Mine with a D plate just cleared customs this morning.
Should be arriving Monday!

I hadn't heard anything since I placed my order on the 23rd of May so I emailed and within 2 days I heard back and they had upgraded my shipping to DHL Express.
I've been shaving daily for the last week or so with the R6 plate on my Rockwell with a Nacet blade.
I was surprised initially that for me, with a light touch, the R6 almost felt smoother than the R5.

Will post my feedback as soon as I get a chance to try it out.

Hmmm
I am fearing the D may be too much for my skin but if I can get the efficiency of the R6 with increase comfort then it may just be perfect!

Decisions decisions!

Looking forward to your review!

Hmmm
I am fearing the D may be too much for my skin but if I can get the efficiency of the R6 with increase comfort then it may just be perfect!

Decisions decisions!

Looking forward to your review!
The c plate does a great job. Took me a couple days to get used to the angle (thought I had it out of the gate, but found it more efficient with the handle further away from face). My regulars are the similar as yours (Rockwell #4, progress #2.5 or 3, wm guerrilla, Rex on 2.5). I did a 2 pass weekend shave with the B plate about 12hrs ago, wtg, xtg, and can feel regrowth now but could pass if I had to work easily. I usually only do 3 pass shaves but wanted to see how it went without the atg. When I used the c plate on Thurs/Fri with an Astra blade, got a VERY close shave. I’m still tempted for the d plate though lol.

The c plate does a great job. Took me a couple days to get used to the angle (thought I had it out of the gate, but found it more efficient with the handle further away from face). My regulars are the similar as yours (Rockwell #4, progress #2.5 or 3, wm guerrilla, Rex on 2.5). I did a 2 pass weekend shave with the B plate about 12hrs ago, wtg, xtg, and can feel regrowth now but could pass if I had to work easily. I usually only do 3 pass shaves but wanted to see how it went without the atg. When I used the c plate on Thurs/Fri with an Astra blade, got a VERY close shave. I’m still tempted for the d plate though lol.

So how would you compare it now, after some good use, to the Rockwell plates in terms of feel/comfort and closeness of the shave?

I'm thinking of ordering with h the C plate and maybe A or B.

I use the 6S with plate 4 or 3 every second day. but my skin feels pretty raw if I use 4 two days in a row. 4 gets a lot closer then 3 though. If I want a shave in a consecutive day I use plate 2.

I have read the C is a more comfortable feel then the 4 but a closer shave. Would you agree with that?

I was thinking of getting the B or the A for every day or consecutive day uses. But can't seem to find much comparison on these plates.

Thanks!!
Your settings are a very good guide!
I think I'll definitely go with the C plate and maybe add in the D plate, as I want to try and avoid that temptation you are experiencing! :D

I am actually chasing something more efficient than the R4 but kinder to the skin. I do hope I get on with the angle as my preferred is the progress/Rockwell angle of holding the handle closer to the face.

Thanks!!
Your settings are a very good guide!
I think I'll definitely go with the C plate and maybe add in the D plate, as I want to try and avoid that temptation you are experiencing! :D

I am actually chasing something more efficient than the R4 but kinder to the skin. I do hope I get on with the angle as my preferred is the progress/Rockwell angle of holding the handle closer to the face.
Just remember shipping costs. One full razor shipped is like $12, add another plate and it jumps to $22. My advice is go C plate and then decide if you want more aggressive or less. One plate shipped is $11, so you’re not really out anything for placing 2 orders, and you’ve got a much better idea if you want more aggressive or less.

So how would you compare it now, after some good use, to the Rockwell plates in terms of feel/comfort and closeness of the shave?

I'm thinking of ordering with h the C plate and maybe A or B.

I use the 6S with plate 4 or 3 every second day. but my skin feels pretty raw if I use 4 two days in a row. 4 gets a lot closer then 3 though. If I want a shave in a consecutive day I use plate 2.

I have read the C is a more comfortable feel then the 4 but a closer shave. Would you agree with that?

I was thinking of getting the B or the A for every day or consecutive day uses. But can't seem to find much comparison on these plates.

Yes, I’m able to get a closer shave with the C plate than I am with the #4 on the Rockwell. It’s just as comfortable, if not a little more. Still working through a variety of blades and liking sharper blades in the c plate so far (permasharp and Astra went well). Ladas was nice, but I used a little pressure on the right side of my neck first pass and it bit me lol (micro weeper).

B plate is great, and gives an easy dfs. I can get bbs with some buffing. Blade feel is similar to the Rockwell #2 and shave is between #3 and #4.