What brand of mineral oil is available in Australia for vintage safety razors

SpeedyPC

NEEDS more soaps ...
Grand Society
2017 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
G'day P&C

I'm looking for some mineral oil for my vintage safety razors, what kind of mineral oil brand is available in Australia is best for vintage safety razors. So I can keep all the mechanical parts running very smoothly for many years without any further damage, so which mineral oil brand do you highly recommended that is available in Australia.

Please provide a web link or picture of the mineral oil brand, so I know and what to look out for.

PS. How often do you apply some mineral oil to your vintage safety razors.

Cheers ;)

Last edited:
jSGl1lil.jpg

Some pharmacies may have mineral oil for use as a laxative but Coles baby oil is mineral oil plus some fragrance, I’ve used it extensively on knives and it works well but there better lubes for knives, razors are under 0 stress so this will be fine.

Last edited:
Wildly overkill, but if you go into that realm the 85w would be a better choice as with a needle applicator you can put it where you need it and the heavier weight would keep it in place better.
Funny but I got my Nano oil from them last week :)

Inox MX3FG food grade lubricant.
Very handy and good as can be used elsewhere around the home and not toxic. Also kosher version available too.
We use it at work as a wd-40 replacement in the commerical kitchens and workshops as food grade plus for materials handling is safer etc etc

Inox linky
group-croped-MX3-Inox-300g-5l-20l-with-applicator-Food-Grade.jpg

I have to ask.. why the need to lube the razors?
I mean, high carbon straights I understand but DE Safety razors really don’t need it, they are made pretty sloppy as far as tolerances between moving parts go.
If you do go ahead with this I think the best course would be to disassemble the razors entirely and use a much heavier oil or grease like frog lube as it will stay in place much better than light oil.

Last edited:
As @Ferret619 says above, Baby Oil is superfine Mineral Oil with a touch of fragrance - works fine.
Or if you don't want the scent, Faulding's Liquid Parrafin from a Pharmacy.
If you are a traditionalist, Japanese Camelia Oil. I use this on my non-stainless knives - great stuff, and a 100ml bottle lasts for years.

I don't know about other reasons but I know one reason some 'collectors' use it is to enhance the look of the razor - especially when photographed. You know, what you might do when listing on an online auction site ...

Inox MX3FG food grade lubricant.
Very handy and good as can be used elsewhere around the home and not toxic. Also kosher version available too.
We use it at work as a wd-40 replacement in the commercial kitchens and workshops as food grade plus for materials handling is safer etc etc

Inox linky
group-croped-MX3-Inox-300g-5l-20l-with-applicator-Food-Grade.jpg
Crikey @RustyBlade this product is way over my head......Ouch.

To keep all vintage Gillette TTO and vintage GEM TTO razors mechanical parts running very smoothly inside and outside.

The vintage TTO razors I have in my den which are and I want them to last another 50 years
GEM Micromatic Clog-Pruf
GEM Micromatic Bullet Tip
GEM Micromatic Open Comb

Gillette Fatboy Adjustable G2 1961
Gillette Slim Adjustable H3 1962
Gillette Super Adjustable S3 1972
Gillette Red Tip C3 1957
Gillette Rocket HD500 Double Ring Superspeed made in England 1950 *** 2 of these coming soon (one for me and my brother)

I think the baby oil might be a better option, all I need is to find a 30ml bottle comes with a needle applicator

I don't know about other reasons but I know one reason some 'collectors' use it is to enhance the look of the razor - especially when photographed. You know, what you might do when listing on an online auction site ...
Ahhh .... deception, got cha.

That’s a whole other rant

Last edited:
Crikey @RustyBlade this product is way over my head......Ouch.

To keep all vintage Gillette TTO and vintage GEM TTO razors mechanical parts running very smoothly inside and outside.

The vintage TTO razors I have in my den which are and I want them to last another 50 years
GEM Micromatic Clog-Pruf
GEM Micromatic Bullet Tip
GEM Micromatic Open Comb

Gillette Fatboy Adjustable G2 1961
Gillette Slim Adjustable H3 1962
Gillette Super Adjustable S3 1972
Gillette Red Tip Super Speed C3 1957
Gillette Rocket HD500 Double Ring Superspeed made in England 1950 *** 2 of these coming soon

I think the baby oil might be a better option, all I need is to find a 30ml bottle comes with a needle applicator
bottles like that can be had on the bay.
https://m.ebay.com.au/itm/50-ml-Cle...034995&hash=item4b16140e91:g:SiUAAOSwmudZ8C~Z
Can’t say I’ve seen a razor in working condition which under regular use in the hands of an enthusiast seize up, only seized ones I have seen have been poorly stored for decades....even @Mark1966 aint got a rotation that big.

bottles like that can be had on the bay.
https://m.ebay.com.au/itm/50-ml-Cle...034995&hash=item4b16140e91:g:SiUAAOSwmudZ8C~Z
Can’t say I’ve seen a razor in working condition which under regular use in the hands of an enthusiast seize up, only seized ones I have seen have been poorly stored for decades....even @Mark1966 aint got a rotation that big.
I love rotation shaves @Ferret619 because is fun and you'll never get bored using the same razor all over again, same for brushes and soaps too.

Also the product you found on ebay is from China, I'm gong to Hobby Co store in the city I believe they've got some.

I wonder if oil will gum up the razors, since there is undoubtedly soap scum within TTO mechanisms which can’t be cleaned fully without disassembly and adding oil then new soap scum it I’m thinking they may just build up,it may end up causing some grossness in the works.

Last edited:
I love rotation shaves @Ferret619 because is fun and you'll never get bored using the same razor all over again, same for brushes and soaps too.

Also the product you found on ebay is from China, I'm gong to Hobby Co store in the city I believe they've got some.
I’m not sure what the rotation stuff in this post is about but yes, I know the bottles are from China, that’s also why they are like $1.50, if you prefer to pay 10x there’s this one.
https://m.ebay.com.au/itm/Acrylic-G...285831?hash=item2a892146c7:g:OKUAAOSwA3dYUN-g

I’m betting they where both made in China.