What brand of mineral oil is available in Australia for vintage safety razors

Have you thought about Ballistol? Originally developed by Germany in WW1 as a gun oil, leather preservative and field disinfectant- kind of a liquid swiss army knife ..

I use it on my knives, as well as my rifles. The smell can be a bit love-hate for some, but I think it does a great job. It's water miscible, and comes in spray cans or liquid form.. Bunnings get it in as a special order..

I wonder if oil will gum up the razors, since there is undoubtedly soap scum within TTO mechanisms which can’t be cleaned fully without disassembly and adding oil then new soap scum it I’m thinking they may just build up.
I soak my TTO razors in hot water with some dishwashing liquid overnight to help break down the soap scum, and again after that with just plain hot water overnight to rinse out all the dishwashing liquid a few times.
Then leave it out to dry and then apply a few drops of mineral oil to mechanical parts only, and store them away in a very dry clean storeage away from dust and mold.

cussons_morning_fresh_lime_fresh_dishwashing_liquid_450ml.jpg

Mmmmmm do I give away secrects
Come on @58FB tell us what is your secret method otherwise your leaving us in the dark, do I have to buy you beer for every secret question :p:D

Last edited:
I soak my TTO razors in hot water with some dishwashing liquid overnight to help break down the soap scum, and again after that with just plain hot water overnight to rinse out all the dishwashing liquid a few times.
Then leave it out to dry and then apply a few drops of mineral oil to mechanical parts only, and store them away in a very dry clean storeage away from dust and mold.

cussons_morning_fresh_lime_fresh_dishwashing_liquid_450ml.jpg
If brand new is sure this would slow the internal build up, however on a 60 year old superspeed I’m betting there’s a chunk of the original owners gross in there, it will vary razor to razor but there there are some that really need disassembly and serious chemicals

If brand new is sure this would slow the internal build up, however on a 60 year old superspeed I’m betting there’s a chunk of the original owners gross in there, it will vary razor to razor but there there are some that really need disassembly and serious chemicals
Relax grasshopper all my TTO razors are bought clean disassembly and any disinfected are removed, that why I pay a bit extra to get them clean I'm way ahead of you.

The only thing is missing in my den I don't have any mineral oil that's why I started this topic

Last edited:
Relax grasshopper all my TTO razor are bought clean disassembly and any disinfected are removed, that why I pay a bit extra to get them clean I'm way ahead of you.
Huh?

I had two Slims pulled down recently.
For their age, the interior surprised the guy servicing them how clean they were.
What I do is open up the doors fully, slowly drip down a mild cleaner like shampoo or dish washing liquid and a few drops of water and agitate by opening and closing for a few minutes.
You know it's working when you get crap dripping out of the base of the handle, which is when you add more soap and water and repeat until you're satisfied.

I had two Slims pulled down recently.
For their age, the interior surprised the guy servicing them how clean they were.
What I do is open up the doors fully, slowly drip down a mild cleaner like shampoo or dish washing liquid and a few drops of water and agitate by opening and closing for a few minutes.
You know it's working when you get crap dripping out of the base of the handle, which is when you add more soap and water and repeat until you're satisfied.

Exactly what I do and surprised how much crap comes out. Then I flush with metho.

@SpeedyPC Inox about $10 a spray can with application tube to get in tight areas. Nice smell and then again some dislike it.

Default, baby oil it mate. No dramas.

Does anyone use an ultrasonic cleaner to clean old soap scum from razors? I was thinking about one for vape gear, wife's jewellery, fountain pens, etc and guess it would be a good option for razors....

Less than $100 on ebay for a good one so wouldn't break the bank....

Does anyone use an ultrasonic cleaner to clean old soap scum from razors? I was thinking about one for vape gear, wife's jewellery, fountain pens, etc and guess it would be a good option for razors....

Yes there are quite a few here that do.
Suggest you start a post or search for an older post about them. Good $50 units out there too.

Camellia oil is recognized as blade corrosion protection with Jojoba oil also being used. I don't really like the idea of mineral oil being used on equipment used directly on the skin so I use Jojoba for my straights and for my DE/SE's. I pour Jojoba down the throat of my TTO razors and operate the doors several times to encourage oil down the mechanism. I've been doing this every use to keep mechanisms lubricated, to keep gunge moving and to avoid corrosion. Seems to be working well and if it gunges up I'll probably invest in a ultrasonic unit. Probably should learn how to disassemble for cleaning. Is that hard to do on the TTOs?

I have to ask.. why the need to lube the razors?
I mean, high carbon straights I understand but DE Safety razors really don’t need it, they are made pretty sloppy as far as tolerances between moving parts go.
If you do go ahead with this I think the best course would be to disassemble the razors entirely and use a much heavier oil or grease like frog lube as it will stay in place much better than light oil.
A long time ago I bought a brit aristocrat jr seized solid. It was harder to open than 58fb's secrets. ;)
I was younger and more impatient so I damaged the handle, even though I was using lots of protection, (like tape and cloth). I wish the previous owners oiled it.

Mmmmmm do I give away secrects
What use is gaining said knowledge if it disappears with your demise my friend?
Sharing's caring.

What use is gaining said knowledge if it disappears with your demise, my friend?
Sharing's caring.
I agree with @borked ....... Come on @58FB please don't allow your knowledge walk into the darkness and let it disappear, there are people like myself really wanted to look after our vintage TTO razors for many years of enjoyment.

Last edited:
A long time ago I bought a brit aristocrat jr seized solid. It was harder to open than 58fb's secrets. ;)
I was younger and more impatient so I damaged the handle, even though I was using lots of protection, (like tape and cloth). I wish the previous owners oiled it.
I would prefer that the previous owners dried and stored it appropriately rather than what ever they did to yours and add oil.

Camellia oil is recognized as blade corrosion protection with Jojoba oil also being used. I don't really like the idea of mineral oil being used on equipment used directly on the skin so I use Jojoba for my straights and for my DE/SE's. I pour Jojoba down the throat of my TTO razors and operate the doors several times to encourage oil down the mechanism. I've been doing this every use to keep mechanisms lubricated, to keep gunge moving and to avoid corrosion. Seems to be working well and if it gunges up I'll probably invest in a ultrasonic unit. Probably should learn how to disassemble for cleaning. Is that hard to do on the TTOs?
Depends on the razor, some have a screw to release the door assy and others use a press and pinch type retaining cap and that’s really all there is to them.
The TTO knobs are generally a Press fit.
I have come across a few I have disassembled for folk to have replated who have been chucking olive oil down there...it’s a special smell.

I loaned out my security bit set to a buddy and shockingly never got em back.. I’ll see if I can pick up another set and get some pictures

Last edited:
Some recommend .... personal silicone lubes...

As @Ferret619 says above, Baby Oil is superfine Mineral Oil with a touch of fragrance - works fine.
Or if you don't want the scent, Faulding's Liquid Parrafin from a Pharmacy.
If you are a traditionalist, Japanese Camelia Oil. I use this on my non-stainless knives - great stuff, and a 100ml bottle lasts for years.
I purchased some Camelia Oil @TomG and used it on my straights prior to storing - I found it left a tacky film which needed soap to remove (not just a wipe with a cloth) - is this usual or did I get the wrong oil?

I purchased an ultrasonic cleaner a few months back. Its the 2L size. It can easily fit 5 or six razors - it does an amazing job. It also has a heater to warm the water. A few drops of dishwashing soap and the razors look amazing. The vibration just agitates the gunk out of all the little crevices. The amount of sludge in the bottom of the tub after a few runs is truly disgusting !
I also use it for cleaning carbys and other mechanical parts - so is quite handy!

I purchased an ultrasonic cleaner a few months back. Its the 2L size. It can easily fit 5 or six razors - it does an amazing job. It also has a heater to warm the water. A few drops of dishwashing soap and the razors look amazing. The vibration just agitates the gunk out of all the little crevices. The amount of sludge in the bottom of the tub after a few runs is truly disgusting !
I also use it for cleaning carbys and other mechanical parts - so is quite handy!

Link? I have a small jewllery one from eBay and it is OK but not impressive ...