What percentage of the total shave 'experience' is the lather?

What percentage of the total shave 'experience' is the lather?

• 10%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 30%

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • 40%

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • 50%

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • 60%

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • 70%

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • 80%

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • 90%

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'll stick with 80% because if you get the lather right it can make or break a great shave regardless of razor/blade combo. A nice slick smooth cushioned lather will make the worst blade glide while protecting the skin. The last 20% is where the different razor and blade combinations make the difference between good enough and damn fine. Within reason of course a blunt burred or rusty blade no amount of lather will fix.

I'll stick with 80% because if you get the lather right it can make or break a great shave regardless of razor/blade combo. A nice slick smooth cushioned lather will make the worst blade glide while protecting the skin. The last 20% is where the different razor and blade combinations make the difference between good enough and damn fine. Within reason of course a blunt burred or rusty blade no amount of lather will fix.
giphy.gif

Interesting to watch these results - genuinely!

Come on people, have your say!

Since the emphasis is on the word “effect”, I’ll assume the question simply refers to the action of cutting whiskers off effectively. For that reason I give 20%, as any old canned goo will get the job done.

what % of shave “experience”? That’d be a totally different matter and I’d vote 70-80%

Since the emphasis is on the word “effect”, I’ll assume the question simply refers to the action of cutting whiskers off effectively. For that reason I give 20%, as any old canned goo will get the job done.

what % of shave “experience”? That’d be a totally different matter and I’d vote 70-80%

OK, question clarified and you CAN change your vote :)

My answer is based on interpreting "experience" as how enjoyable lathering it is...in which case I've selected 70%.

Creating the lather and enjoying the scent and the feeling of the brush. Lathering is my favorite part of the hobby.

If the interpretation was how much does lathering contribute to the shave result, I would select 30% as I find the razor/blade combo to be the actual tools that do the job and my shave result is dependant on this combo rather than which soap I use.

I'll chane my vote from 60% to 50% as razor, blade & technique also play an important role.
Having an optimal lather allows the other factors to operate smoothly, efficiently and minimise post shave irritation... YMMV

My answer is based on interpreting "experience" as how enjoyable lathering it is...in which case I've selected 70%.

Creating the lather and enjoying the scent and the feeling of the brush. Lathering is my favorite part of the hobby.

If the interpretation was how much does lathering contribute to the shave result, I would select 30% as I find the razor/blade combo to be the actual tools that do the job and my shave result is dependant on this combo rather than which soap I use.

I can see a follow up poll coming up!

I reccon around 30% with a straight razor. Weak cushioning and slickness require more expertise but you can still get a good shave. I find the lather prep far less of a zen experience than the actual blade on the face;later prep fail = no big deal while blade on face fail = tears.