What SE razor should I try next?

Greenpike

Hi all

I'm rapid coming to the conclusion that I have found my very best shaving experience so far in the Colonial General. I think I may be an SE man after all. This comes as quite a shock as I have a collection of DEs I was really happy with and I now have a huge store of DE blades... but I keep coming back to The General as my ultra smooth, ultra efficient daily driver. On my neck it is unsurpassed.

I'd love any suggestions you have for other modern SE razors I should try that you think are even better. Surely my $25US General head is not the pinnacle? The modern SEs are not really explained for newbies as well as the modern DE scene so I'm really interested in the P&C community's opinions.

[In terms of vintage I have my Gem Micromatic that scares me and @Young Buck's tennis handled injector on the way too, by the way, which I have really high hopes for]

Hi all

I'm rapid coming to the conclusion that I have found my very best shaving experience so far in the Colonial General. I think I may be an SE man after all. This comes as quite a shock as I have a collection of DEs I was really happy with and I now have a huge store of DE blades... but I keep coming back to The General as my ultra smooth, ultra efficient daily driver. On my neck it is unsurpassed.

I'd love any suggestions you have for other modern SE razors I should try that you think are even better. Surely my $25US General head is not the pinnacle? The modern SEs are not really explained for newbies as well as the modern DE scene so I'm really interested in the P&C community's opinions.

[In terms of vintage I have my Gem Micromatic that scares me and @Young Buck's tennis handled injector on the way too, by the way, which I have really high hopes for]
Pick up a gem 1912, they are cheap to buy and beautiful razors in every aspect

Your not alone @Greenpike ;) I'm also moving over from Double Edge Razors to Single Edge Razors for good very soon because I love my Colonial Razors "The General Alum. Head" so much as my daily driver, and I understand how you must feel about Single Edge razors.

My future shopping list for Single Edge Razors below are:-
1. Colonial Razors 'The General' Stainless Steel razor coming very soon this year I must grab this first (y)
2. Above the Tie SE1 head only
3. Above the Tie GEM
4. Claymore v2.0 head only
5. Mongoose II head only
6. RazoRock Hawk Stainless Steel razor
7. Get a few different Schick Injector razor model, need to think about this for a while.
8. Vintage GEM Micromatic Clog Proof Safety Razor
9. Vintage GEM Micromatic Bullet Tip Silver Tone SE Safety Razor

Last edited:
Just purchased one on the bay. Thanks for reminding me I wanted one of these!
I sold or PIFed all my Micromatics but I can't part with the 1912.

Ugh TBH I want a brass clog Pruf... back to eBay I go

Might I make a suggestion :)

Schick "G" Type. - Smooth - other than a straight close to the ultimate razor
Schick "M" adjustable
Gem 1914 - Delightfully aggressive.
Gem 1924 - Very efficient
Gem Featherweight - Mild

Any of the Micromatic series.

http://connaughtshaving.com/serb.html

Interesting, it can get a little tricky identifying the Gems, I have just picked up an Eveready 1924, front hinged 'shovel head'? I'll probably give it it's first try tomorrow. I will have to keep a look out for a 1914. Are they similar to the 1924 only hinged at the back?

There are two versions of the 1924. A round comb - mild [ish] and a flattened comb version that is more aggressive. 1914 hinges at the back. With all Gem's have a good look at the blade stops as they are sometimes worn off.

Feather Artist Club works for me although it is the only one I've tried! CJB is a cheaper entry point if desired...

There are two versions of the 1924. A round comb - mild [ish] and a flattened comb version that is more aggressive. 1914 hinges at the back. With all Gem's have a good look at the blade stops as they are sometimes worn off.
Thanks, I didn't know there were two versions, I think mine might be the flattened comb. So far I have been lucky with the stops, I try and remember to check them

I also like the gem clicks they are abit low brow but are a great shave

My Gem 1912 is my go-to SE, just like a DE you can feed it different blades and get a different shave each time.