What's your best straight razor?

'Best' is such a broad criteria - best to hone, best to strop, best to shave with, best looking, most forgiving.....the list goes on.
I think most of mine are the best of what they are FWIW
No offence intended, Dan.

My best is yet to be even used.
A never used Wade & Butcher, as confirmed by @Mark who inspected it.

I'm very much a newbie with straights, but both my prettiest and and best shaver is my Friodur 250 (was NOS). Incredible shave and cool looking to boot.
aZLnt5BSlAHv_loCNOaWApTg2Drbr0rwwXI8TV59Fuo

'Best' is such a broad criteria - best to hone, best to strop, best to shave with, best looking, most forgiving.....the list goes on.
I think most of mine are the best of what they are FWIW
No offence intended, Dan.

I left it up to the person's discretion as to what they consider their best and why.
For me it the one I get the best shave with and it happens to be the prettiest which helps. I'll post pics when I get home.

"Another day, a whole 'nother set of possibilities."

MacGyver

So this is my best. My Beaujeu Dumontel. It is a vintage that has been restored. The original scales had their day so I had these custom made from a gentleman in the US. Shaved like a dream. Always even and hold an edge very well. Takes a bit of care to sharpen but if you want the bike you need to pedal I guess.
86a8a1e447628b0ee4dbc1203b287ab3.jpg
3f3cd84e2b8fb1b6652633ee8b75c32c.jpg
f75e59f43f6e57c5964f720e9078db60.jpg
31172ec42f1fb806cf0cfb43693c6e98.jpg

MacGyver

Best? Best! That's like asking me which is my favourite child!

I honestly could not chose just one. They all shave awesome and look the biz too.

I honestly could not chose just one. They all shave awesome and look the biz too.

Surely you have a fav child.........

MacGyver

Ok, you've enough time to pick up ONLY ONE from your collection and the rest are going to be eternally destroyed by whatever irresistible immediate force.
Post a pic and share a bit about that single razor :)

I've stood over my razor box for ages pondering this. It's a tough decision but if I had to only have one it would be this Bengall. It's a great shaver but I chose it for sentimental reasons. I made these scales from timber out of my wife's grandmothers house. It dates back 100years. (I do need to find better washers and ren pin though!) The blade itself is from 1908ish and was sold originally in gold rush broken hill. I love a bit of history. It's a good size too at 7/8".

d525f7dc82d634a891ca2778555aa01e.jpg

So this is my best. My Beaujeu Dumontel. It is a vintage that has been restored. The original scales had their day so I had these custom made from a gentleman in the US. Shaved like a dream. Always even and hold an edge very well. Takes a bit of care to sharpen but if you want the bike you need to pedal I guess.
86a8a1e447628b0ee4dbc1203b287ab3.jpg
3f3cd84e2b8fb1b6652633ee8b75c32c.jpg
f75e59f43f6e57c5964f720e9078db60.jpg
31172ec42f1fb806cf0cfb43693c6e98.jpg

MacGyver

Here is a better picture.
35ccd63c0130b31450aae5fadb64540a.jpg

MacGyver

:) I like that. My razors are all to a great extent rejected street urchins. They will never win beauty contests but many have illustrious heritages. My Russians are utilitarian but are incomparable in the final shave. My Japanese are calm and precise as they remove stubble, the Germans are a tad arrogant but definetely do the job and the English are smooth and proud of their long history. My favourite blade is often the one I used last.

The Missus and I have been talking about visiting Adelaide lately, so when we do I will definitely have to make sure it coincides with a meet up!